Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default State of emergency hypothetical situation

So I was looking at Repo's thread on UN disarmament etc and figured this was somewhat related and would like to know what you guys think you might do in this situation.

Not quite a UN invasion, but say we are in a state of emergency .. Like Katrina in LA is what I am thinking. It's a state of emergency , people are going crazy and it's a damn dangerous situation. You decide to go out of the house for whatever reason , you have your LTCF so you're legal to carry. A police officer confronts you and tells you firearms are not authorized as the mayor, governor, whoever has decided citizens should not be armed and must be disarmed. As happened during Katrina.

So an officer and you, he is demanding your firearm, you explain to him the illegality of disarmament or legality of carrying and nothing works. He is intent on disarming you and will not let you leave with your firearm. What would you realistically do? I could see him demanding the firearm, possibly attempting to arrest you, even drawing on you. It's not really an option to 'figure it out later so disarm and file a complaint", people are raping , shooting, ribbing , rioting etc.

So what's the 'right answer ' for you ?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: State of emergency hypothetical situation

Who says the cop is going to show his hand? He may detain and cuff you before he tells you what he is up to if ever.

(Dauphin County)

Why do you need so many guns? Because of this. Just give up what you have on you.

(Indiana County)

Plan ahead all you want, but you're going to end up doing what you do when you do it.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHEPHERD321 View Post
    Why do you need so many guns? Because of this. Just give up what you have on you.
    Right. During Katrina they went house-to-house.

As to the original question I will say only this. Use your best judgement.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Who says the cop is going to show his hand? He may detain and cuff you before he tells you what he is up to if ever.
    Didn't even think of that. Ouch. But without cause I guess you may end up in the same situation. I understand the 'I do not consent but will comply' logic, but that's all fine and well for today when risk is very low. Not so much if it's a real emergency and danger is much higher.

I am not sure what I would do which is why I'm thinking about it now. Repercussions could be serious. Either way.

(Berks County)

First of all if you think your going to encounter a Leo while your carrying during a "state of emergency" and have a conversation with him he/she will be aiming whatever loaded weapon they have directly at you an will demand you give them your weapon, I wouldn't be surprised if they just shot you then took it. The police flash banged a toddler last week. Poor kid didn't even have a gun

Your best bet is to not be out and about during a crazy Katrina-type event in the first place.

But if you get detained there are principles for dealing with police and keeping a low profile that are useful principles whether its a good day or a crazy hurricane Katrina type day.

First, if you want to keep a low profile, you should be concealing. (I have no beef with OC and do it from time to time, but this thread is about dealing with cops, and if you don't want police attention, you should CC. I think we all agree on that)

If you are out running errands during a SHTF event like Katrina or the aftermath of the Boston marathon bombing, and you know the cops are everywhere, disarming people, then you should definitely be concealing. If you are doing your job, no cops will know you are carrying. You should keep a low profile, go about your business calmly, normally, and as quickly as possible. If you see a cop somewhere, you should make sure he doesn't see you, and give no reason for them to be curious about you. If they do approach you, don't let a conversation get started. Keep walking and tell them you are in a hurry and are not doing anything wrong, and you want to get home asap because of the situation at hand.

If some cop approaches you and starts questioning you and paying attention to you, then you have probably already drawn too much attention to yourself, but at that point you freeze up, stop talking, and keep walking, while continually asking if you are free to go. If he says no, you tell him you aren't saying a word until you have a lawyer. I don't know what will happen after that, but you can avoid most problems with cops by following this advice, and very few cops will arrest someone for no reasonable, articulable cause, who is keeping silent and asking for a lawyer. It isn't 100% guarantee, but it will work more often than not.

Now, if they start going door to door to disarm everyone, then you handle it the same way you would if they came to your door for no reason any other day of the week. You don't let them in, speak to them through the door without opening it, or through a window above them, and demand a warrant. If its a SHTF event, then all your doors are already locked and secured with stuff behind them, so they will have a very hard time breaking in. If they have no warrant, and you don't let them in, then they will probably decide to move on, or else they will wreck your house and shoot your dog and you will spend a very long time in jail and in various courts, and basically be screwed. Nothing you can do about that.

Obviously, if its a SHTF event, then whether you are out and about (not recommended) or inside, you should have a camera ready to roll at all times.

Lastly, if possible, I think it is wise to have at least one firearm that is stored in secret, that you bought at a private sale, that nobody knows you have, and that would be extremely difficult to find even if your entire house was searched. I'm not a "bury your guns and hide" kind of guy, but I do recognize there are times when fighting is not the best course of action, and having a backup somewhere that nobody knows about is a good idea.

Like I said at the beginning, the basic principles for dealing with police are the same whether it is a normal day or a bad day, or an epically terrible day. The only difference is the stakes are higher and the probabilities are higher.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Franklin County)

CC two guns, the first one comes out when HE says so, the second one comes out when I say so.

(Allegheny County)

GUN CONFISCATIONS DURING STATES OF EMERGENCY IN PENNSYLVANIA ARE ILLEGAL

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast