Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Tripod Stands?

(Montgomery County)

Default Tripod Stands?

I am working on some food plots on my property for the upcoming archery season. The only problem is there are no good trees near where I can plant (some cover..but all dead trees or otherwise not fit for a ladder or climber stand). So, I was thinking of getting a tripod. Anyone use these? Are they safe? Do you need to anchor in the ground or do they just rely on their own weight? Any recommendations?
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Tripod Stands?

I have used one. You need to have enough background cover or you will stickout like a sore thumb. The one I used has a wide enough stance that it is stable but it does need to be on level ground. It has stakes to go through holes in the feet but I'm not sure they do anything. I believe the taller ones have guy wires.

(York County)

Ive used them before in fence rows and in big brush areas . But like STbear said you will need a good background . Set it up right in front of one of your small trees or between 3 of them if they are in a nice bunch . Than just cut shooting holes or lanes . Also I used old feed bags and just fill them with dirt . Lay them on and against the feet kinda like construction signs . Better than trying to pull out deep stakes . If you have to move it . And keep the swivel seat greased . Nothing like a tree squeaker when ya have to turn and make the tough shot haha . Sorry for the book I wrote lol hope it helps . SR

(Crawford County)

Have used them as well. Best to put against some sort of back drop to break up the stand and you. As for staking, that's up to you ultimately. If it's a taller stand, or one that doesn't have a real wide stance, then by all means secure it in some fashion. As power stroke said, the bags against the legs will work, or you could tie it off to near by trees.

Also be sure to grease the seat and cover the rails (assuming it's not already done) with something to dampen noise. I found that the foam pipe covers work excellent for this!

Happy hunting!
    Male RN

(Montgomery County)

Thanks all for your feedback. Very useful.
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.