Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cleaning Guns Not Getting Everything

I've noticed after firing my mosin that it tends to get dirty. I've been very adament about getting in there and cleaning it out. I use a boresnake to get into the inside of the barrel. After four passes though, I am noticing that if I stick a q-tip inside the business end of the gun and rub it along in there, I am picking up more dirt. It isn't much, but it is crud.

1) Is it reasonable to expect that not every gun will be perfectly clean?
    2) Is #1 a problem in terms of firearms longevity?
    3) What type of cleaning rod and brush would you recommend that won't damage my rifle?
    4) What kind of brush head would you recommend for a Mosin m91/30? a .308 caliber brush head?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Cleaning Guns Not Getting Everything

A lot of folks swear by Boresnakes, but I don't use them. I use Hoppes, a one piece cleaning rods, patches & brush. A .308 brush would be what you want for yours. That's been getting the job done for years & I see no reason to change.

Guns don't have to be perfectly spotless to function properly, but there shouldn't be crud in the bore or action either. Did you strip & thoroughly degrease the gun when you bought it? It's an old military rifle, so if you didn't, there's probably cosmoline & old grease in every crevasse.

On another note, if you're using ammo with corrosive primers you need to flush the bore with something like Windex or water after shooting, then go on with your regular cleaning routine.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Northumberland County)

try flushing the barrel with hot water and dawn. Then use hoppes or Sweets 7.62.

Run some patches till it's clean .

I always use hot water and dawn on my mosins to get all the crud and/or Cosmo out. Seems to work, but always make sure you dry everything g and apply oil .

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by B92G View Post
    try flushing the barrel with hot water and dawn. Then use hoppes or Sweets 7.62.

I always use hot water and dawn on my mosins to get all the crud and/or Cosmo out. Seems to work, but always make sure you dry everything g and apply oil .
    Always used hot water as a method of cleaning my corrosive firearms.

I have a VEPR54 and multiple mosins and between using Corrosion-X (anti-corrosive spray/lube) and hot water, I've never had an issue.... using dish soap is something I find unnecessary but I don't see any arm in it either. It will strip the metal clean so I would suggest a light lube after.

1) Is it reasonable to expect that not every gun will be perfectly clean? Yes, especially with mosins
    2) Is #1 a problem in terms of firearms longevity? High moisture environments without any type of care will cause issues or leaving a firearm sit for hours after shooting corrosive ammo will guarantee rust/pitting.
    3) What type of cleaning rod and brush would you recommend that won't damage my rifle? Pick up a Hoppe's bore snake in 308 for cleaning mosins. It does an amazing job.
    4) What kind of brush head would you recommend for a Mosin m91/30? a .308 caliber brush head? 308 is 7.62 which is the size needed for mosins.
    Last edited by phillysteve; June 26th, 2014 at 09:36 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    I've noticed after firing my mosin that it tends to get dirty. I've been very adament about getting in there and cleaning it out. I use a boresnake to get into the inside of the barrel. After four passes though, I am noticing that if I stick a q-tip inside the business end of the gun and rub it along in there, I am picking up more dirt. It isn't much, but it is crud.

1) Is it reasonable to expect that not every gun will be perfectly clean?
    2) Is #1 a problem in terms of firearms longevity?
    3) What type of cleaning rod and brush would you recommend that won't damage my rifle?
    4) What kind of brush head would you recommend for a Mosin m91/30? a .308 caliber brush head?

Thanks in advance.
    1. I get most of my guns damn near perfectly clean, but i have OCD when it comes to that, lol
    2. It could be, especially with corrosive ammo you are mostly likely using for that MN
    3.Get a graphite or carbon fiber cleaning rod
    4.For the bore i use a 12g brush

Boiling water down the barrel will clean corrosive ammo, or windex with some Amonia (the amonia will neutralize the corrosive salts)

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by B92G View Post

Do you do this after firing corrosive rounds or just any and all?

I use a boresnake for on-site cleanings at the range immediately after I finish shooting.

22/223/556 for my Colt M4 LE6920, my Walther HK MP5-SD 22LR replica and my dad's old H&R Model 929 nine-shot revolver.

9mm for my Glock 17.

45 ACP for my Glock 21 and KRISS Vector.

And the 308/762 and 20 gauge one for my AK (20 gauge for the gas tube).

I shoot noncorrosive ammunition, and once a month I do a full breakdown and detailed cleaning of my various firearms. I have a OTIS kit that is military surplus and handles all of my guns and is a small enough package that I can clip it to my sling or wherever is handy. Even has a nice set of brass scrappers for the bolt and breech and such.

(Montgomery County)

I clean my pistols with just cleaning rods brushes and patches. I run a brush down the bores of my handguns with a solvent soaked patched around the brush for the first push through, to keep the brushes somewhat cleaner for longer. I use corrosion x for the bores, and clp for cleaning everything else and lubricating the slide and bore after. Also use gun oil for rails and any internal spots that need lube.

For rifles I use the same products, but I like cleaning rifle bores with rods and brushes but I lubriacte them with a boresnake at the end. I feel like it does a better job then lubricating with just a patch and rod
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Northumberland County)

Usually once I get home I boil some water with a generous amount of dawn and pour it down the barrel, breech to muzzle. This is for a few times maybe 1/2 gallon of soapy water.

Then follow up with just water. By this time the hot water and dawn heats up the metal and degreases the barrel, neutralizing any corrosive salts.

The water usually dries quickly if it's hot enough. Then a few patches soaked in sweets 7.62. Then scrub with a brass brush, then patches till they are coming out clean.

I always run an oil patch through the barrel and clean it before I shoot also. This helps if you live in a house with excessive moisture.

I have left my guns out over night without a final oil and surface rust appeared.

Especially in summer months I take extra precaution. And one final note, during the summer i carry windex at the range and spray the barrel before leaving, usually even a 15 car ride in hot heat/humidity can start rust on surplus rifles withe. Or rosier ammo.

YMMV but thus has worked for me.

(Allegheny County)

The only thing I have ever seen that gets all the crud out of the barrel is JB Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound. It takes a lot of elbow grease but will get almost everything out and polishes the barrel to a mirror shine.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT buy is you have OCD.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...-prod1160.aspx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast