Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Big bore suggestions

I am wanting a large bore revolver.

I mostly want the new toy for shooting steel from 200-300 yards. I also am thinking it may be taken hunting deer once a year or so. I do load so ammo is not the largest concern but is something I do consider.

Have been looking at the 460 XVR quite a bit. Seems like a great answer for this. I have also been drawn to the magnum research BFR in 460 and in 45-70.
    Anyone have experience with such things?

Edit to add
    I would like to spend under 1500 for the gun. This does not include optics which I will be adding
    Last edited by TheRookie; June 23rd, 2014 at 10:28 PM.

Default Re: Big bore suggestions

You are going to have a hard time finding a more flat shooting big bore revolver round than the .460s&w mag. It is like a rifle cartridge in a revolver. The pointy bullets available for the .460 will help at longer ranges.

Want to go big? Go to 500S&W.

(Franklin County)

460 is the highest velocity out there from a revolver. Go that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Northampton County)

I don't directly.

My $ would go to the BFR though.
    Frame looks incredibly beefy.
    I don't see the need for double action in a large caliber(454 & up) revolver.

(Luzerne County)

Not wanting to pay a lot for a S&W460 but you don't reload??? Have you seen the price for 460 ammo? To get the most out of a 460 you will have to reload, especially if you are to do a lot of target shooting. Also if you are going to use it for 200 to 300 yards the 14" custom shop job would seem to fit the job better. It takes a long barrel to burn up the fifty grains of powder in that large case......
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Montgomery County)

Freedom Arms 454

Better fit and finish than a Smith X frame and if you don't plan on shooting dangerous game, you'll be fine with single action.

Hard to go wrong with the 460 in a Smith, too. It's surprisingly a few hundred feet per second faster then the 454, so it will be flatter shooting. I never shot an X frame in 460, but the one I shot in 500 was REALLY accurate.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Not wanting to pay a lot for a S&W460 but you don't reload??? Have you seen the price for 460 ammo? To get the most out of a 460 you will have to reload, especially if you are to do a lot of target shooting. Also if you are going to use it for 200 to 300 yards the 14" custom shop job would seem to fit the job better. It takes a long barrel to burn up the fifty grains of powder in that large case......
    I do load, said so in my post. I figure 1500 is a decent amount of cash. Why do you feel that isnt enough? Easily can get a performance shop x frame for that. Or a BFR.

I like freedom arms but I think most of their stuff is out of budget.

(Bucks County)

You need to be sure how sensitive you are to recoil before you spend $1500 on a pistol. You see a lot of used "like new" big bores out there.......(with 1/2 a box of ammo). Shoot someones .44 mag or .45Colt (hot loaded). If you think you need more then by all means go for it.

IMO. big bore revolvers are not the best choice for 200-300 yards. They are 50-75 yard sledgehammers. It takes a lot of skill to shoot over a hundred yards, especially offhand , and you will need a scope. A revolver front site gets extremely wide at 200 yards! It would probably cover a deer.

For long distances you will want a bottle neck rifle type cartridge preferably with a scope. The rounds are inherently more accurate and usually come in more accurate pistols. Check out a Contender (or Encore). Yes they are only single shots but for hunting past 100 yards they are the only way to go.

(Jefferson County)

About the BFR 45-70 - You should try some level 2 45-70 loads in a NEF Handi Rifle before you try them in a much lighter weight handgun. Most folks say "uncle" after a shot or two. If you stick with level 1 loads (trapdoor), you're pretty much only shooting a .458 caliber .44mag power level gun - so you might as well get a .44mag..

You really need to experience a really recoiling handgun before you buy one. Hell, even the .44mag drove many folks who bought a S&W model 21's right after watching Dirty Harry, only to pawn them off right after firing them once.

And remember, compensated bigbores like the .460 and .500 S&W handguns are rather tame compared to an non-compensated .454 Casual, .475Linebaugh Max., or a .500Linebaugh. When you get up into the power and pressure levels of those super big bore, compensated guns can make a serious difference in shootability.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast