Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Re: Recent graduate of PA Gunsmith School seeking employment

yesterday I could not spell gunsmith and today I are one. you just finished school what can you do? I have been working on guns for 40 years still don't know if I am a gunsmith.

I made my own rifling machine and made my own barrels. rebarrlled some mausers and single shots. bored cylinder throats so they would shoot better. built some nice 1911's. but mostly I work on black powder guns now. none of that atf stuff to worry with.

(Bucks County)

^ yet ^

This isn't a give me your opinions and criticism. If you're not a potential employer or know someone who may be hiring than you should not be posting. I know my experience and I know my worth you don't like it keep it to yourself. As for an employer I'll let my resume do the talking.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    yesterday I could not spell gunsmith and today I are one. you just finished school what can you do? I have been working on guns for 40 years still don't know if I am a gunsmith.

I made my own rifling machine and made my own barrels. rebarrlled some mausers and single shots. bored cylinder throats so they would shoot better. built some nice 1911's. but mostly I work on black powder guns now. none of that atf stuff to worry with.
    Well with that confidence, wouldnt want to take any of my work to you...

OP best of luck

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by sandersz28 View Post
    This isn't a give me your opinions and criticism. If you're not a potential employer or know someone who may be hiring than you should not be posting. I know my experience and I know my worth you don't like it keep it to yourself. As for an employer I'll let my resume do the talking.
    And with that attitude right there I predict you will not be gainfully employed any time soon. Sorry for trying to help you out a little in this shitty economy. I won't be posting in here again per request.

Good Luck to ya.

(Jefferson County)

Gander Mountain and Cabelas have in-house smiths if I remember correctly. Big Bass Proshop may as well. ....and like any other big box retailer, they may have a high turn-over rate of employees. So you may be able to get in with one of them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Now that right there says just about all I need to know.
    That attitude is going to get you an apprenticeship faster than greased lightning.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    ...I know it sucks but apprentices don't earn shit. The company that hires you under an apprentice program is going to spend lot's of their own time and money to train you hoping it bears fruit. If this is something you want to do get two jobs. You'll have to suck it up for a couple years.
    Exactly, fresh out of school means you have no real experience and you're now ready to start an apprenticeship with someone who's been in the business for a while. Find a local shop or gunsmith that will allow you to work there for cheap, probably around $10+-, or even one of the national chains, and spend a few years learning the finer details of being a gunsmith.

We pay our part-time, self-taught gunsmith less then $10 per hour to clean our guns and inspect them for damage because that's what the job is worth to us, if that's not enough for him, there are 10 other guys waiting for his job. With that said, we pay an experience outside gunsmith 3x that to work on our MG's.

The market is saturated with gunsmith with little or no experience. You are a little fish in a big pond, so get some experience, work hard, get known for quality work with great ethics, get an FFL, then open your own shop and people will flock to you and you can make a good living.

Getting a degree is a much needed step 1, but it's only step 1 to a great career.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(York County)

Where is that ignore button?

sandersz;

With respect, this is not a job classifieds forum, despite what you're trying to make it.

It appears you joined this forum 3 days ago and posted immediately about wanting a job, then disrespected a lot of long time forum members. Reputation is a significant factor in life and coming on to a forum and establishing a negative one for yourself, in the specific field you wish to build a career, is not a good idea. No one is going to want to hand you a position, or even refer you, after seeing your first few posts. We also have no idea of your work.. Respect is given, where it is due.

With that said..

I believe you're answer has already been given. The good people who have come in and given advice are mostly people who hold significant reputation with this forum. Their opinion is worth more than the grain of salt you seem to be giving it. They are trying to help guide you in making a great career for yourself. With all jobs, the degree holder knows what they are worth, and similarly, all employers have a value tied to job positions. Experience, respect, and reputation will help you make it in your career. Starting that in a place like this could be a great benefit to you. Use these peoples advice and run with it. No employer wants to hire big bucks right out of school..and no employer wants to hire someone right out of school to a company they have built for themselves with the risk of the money they are paying not producing results.

Starting at the low end of the totem pole is a good thing.. It allows you so much room to move up. I hope you the best of luck in finding a job in gun smithing. If you are passionate, smart, and are willing to work for it, you could find your niche and make it become your living wage.
    Last edited by iShoot17; June 26th, 2014 at 12:59 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast