Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Pietta 1851 .44 Black Powder

Hi all,

Cabelas has these on sale and I'm considering it. If you own(ed) one would you offer your opinion on the revolver?

Thanks in advance!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Pietta 1851 .44 Black Powder

I've owned one for 20 years. Shoots great, but the wedge is abnormally tight for dis-assembly.

The brass frame guns needs to have the powder charges cut back substantially. Persistent 30gr charges WILL stretch the gun out. Cut it back to 15-20gr charges. ...Pietta's own manual even recommends 15grs as max --> page 20 of this pdf http://www.pietta.us/products/Muzzle...avy/index.html

Steel frames are a little stronger, but I certainly wouldn't make a habit of shooting 30gr charges in one.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I had one a while back, basically because it was cheap and it was legal for me to buy under 21......

Anyway they are filthy, cumbersome, and require tons of work to shoot. Ball, Powder, Powder measure, percussion caps, wad, nipple wrench, pick, and so on. Oh, and don't forget to completely scrub down every single inch of the steel parts after you shoot it or else it will look like Danny Trejo's face after a few days. Black powder is extremely corrosive and will pit the hell out of it.

Another thing, don't load the brass frame guns to the max powder charge. They are a lot softer than the steel frames and will warp if loaded hot. Mine was accurate, but would fail to fire usually once a cylinder and I would have to re-cap it and try again. Just a toy really.

That's all I have. Basically, IMO, black powder is way more trouble than it's worth, unless you're a Civil War buff or something that enjoys shooting period correct weapons. I would never buy another one. That's one way we truly are blessed in these times, weapons technology

(Allegheny County)

I own one of these. Easy to maintain, goes bang every time, accurate, and lots of fun to shoot. I've never had the desire to move to a six shooter.

Toujours prêt

(Lycoming County)

I've had one for years as well. Bought from the Cabella's catalog when I was @ 19. They can be very fun to shoot. As others have said you will need powder and ball, caps, a powder flask, powder measure, and either grease or wads to place over the end of the loaded cylinders.

Cleaning can be kind of a pain if you really don't like to clean you're guns. I scrub mine with soap and water pretty much immediately when I get home from the range then dry it disassembled in the oven on warm for a bit.

Oh yeah, pick up a nipple wrench as well. Remove the nipples from the cylinders and clean in there as well. Trust me you can miss some stuff around the nipples and if they corrode it is a real PITA, ask me how I know this.

As others have said they are definetly not for everybody. If you don't mind the extra time spent cleaning then they can be very fun and economical to shoot. Try one at night sometime. They throw fire every which direction.

(Berks County)

Thanks to all!!!

I decided to wait a bit and get a Dragoon or a 1858 version. With the 1858 version, I can use BP or a Taylors & Co. conversion kit and use cartridges as well.

(Adams County)

on the same page for only $30 more you get a pistol worth twice as much. the 58 Remington.

the brass frame is not the best for a lot of shooting. also they never made a .51 navy in .44. all navies were .36.

the Remington is easier to clean and take down. it also has the same power as the dragoon. only is easier to carry.

black powder does not eat the metal. the fouling attracts moisture that is what causes the problem.