Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Colt 1911 tribute pistol

I keep seeing these colt tribute 1911's in the NRA magazines I get. My father on law is a very influential person to me and is a pistol fanatic. I wanted to buy him one of these for his upcoming birthday. I don't know a thing about these guns. Do people actually shoot and carry these or they mostly a show piece. Any other ideas for a good gift for a pistol lover

Side note: he already has a hi-point
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Colt 1911 tribute pistol

A friend of mine purchased this pistol and is waiting for it to come in. He does plan to shoot and carry it but I recommended for the cash he paid he could've had a great custom 1911 from Wilson combat etc. colt makes great guns but in my opinion this is a gun that's made to look at and not be shot as that gold won't last very long.

Then again I've never owned a gun with gold inlays so I may be wrong.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Centre County)

Most people buy these to look at and hope that they increase in value significantly in the years to come (they probably won't as they are really a niche collectable).

You want a nice gun to give him that he can carry and show off? I just transferred to a guy a stainless steel CZ -75B from the CZ Custom shop. It is not the matte finish, nor is it a high polish. The guy that bought it is a serious CZ collector and he said they aren't making a lot of them. The price, IIRC, was under $1000. Very, very nice fit and finish and the trigger was extremely smooth. Very nice looking gun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Erie County)

I would second going with something like the Wilson.

(Lackawanna County)

If you and your father-in-law share an interest in firearms, strike up a casual conversation with him about a gun you're saving up to buy. Guide the conversation to what gun he'd like. Once he mentions one, you'll have your answer.

I just used this "trick" on my mom. Christmas shopping for her this year will be easy.

(Philadelphia County)

If he plans on shooting it, just find him a nice Series 70 Colt 1911. Beautiful pistols, I have a Series 80 myself.

95% sure that is an XSE model with the spruced up stuff on it. First, ask yourself if you want to pay close to $2000 for a fancy Colt XSE 1911 when a nice XSE stainless rail gun goes for $1100, or less. They are nice to look at, but if you shoot them or get any marks on them (or rub the park off like I have with my Sovereign and Sterling), then you will lose crazy money on it. I got my Sov and Ster for $2000 total otd, for the pair, because the park was rubbed off the ends of the slides (only a small amount) from dragging them across the felt everyday to store them in the shop owner's safe. I touched them up and they look good, but not show pieces, anymore. They are now just XSE's, so you have to keep in mind if it is going to be a show piece, then that's what it is. People don't eat off display plates, so you shouldn't shoot your commemorative 1911 if you want it to hold its value.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    Any other ideas for a good gift for a pistol lover

Side note: he already has a hi-point
    Oh yea, if he doesn't have this, it is worth a look. Possibly the best polymer 45 on the planet, and a shooters delight. Same price as a decent 1911.

I love 1911's, but if the SHTF and I could have one pistol, this would be it (or a USP, 2nd).

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_produ...45_general.asp
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    If you and your father-in-law share an interest in firearms, strike up a casual conversation with him about a gun you're saving up to buy. Guide the conversation to what gun he'd like. Once he mentions one, you'll have your answer.

I just used this "trick" on my mom. Christmas shopping for her this year will be easy.
    It's not nice to fool mother. (nature)

(Delaware County)

Your wife can buy a gun and gift it to her father. You can't.

Look at his present collection and you should be able to tell what kind of pistols he's into.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast