Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default AK 47 from EGypt?

I saw an ak 47 for sale localy that is from egypt. I looked on gunbroker with little luck. Does anyone know the value of one of these/are they worth buying? Also the stock seems like it had a thumb hole cut out of a 2x6 with no shaping for comfort. Can a replacement be purchased?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: AK 47 from EGypt?

AKMs from Egypt are commonly referred to as "Maadis", which is the factory/company that produces them.

There are pre ban Maadis and post ban Maadis. The only importer for the pre ban model is Steyr, Secaucus, NJ. All others are post ban and will originally come with thumbhole stock and neutered features.

You can get original replacements stock from Gunbroker when you do a search for "Maadi". There is a user there by the name of Pars, which is actually Pars Intl., one of the other importers of Maadi AKMs that has original NOS parts.

Despite what some will say that a Saiga is the most accurate representative AKM you can get when you do the conversion, the Maadi is closer to that statement because Saigas are not in AKM configuration right off the bat, even though it is made in Russia. Hence, others will tell you that an Egyptian AKM is more accurate to the original Russian AKM, because they are built on Russian tooling in Egypt (given to them when Egypt was our enemy during Cold War). It is the most true to original Russian AKM you can get.

Price range for post ban is $500 and under I would say if in great condition. Pre ban Maadis will go for over a $1K due to collector appeal.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown
    not sure it is pre/post but it is for sale for 249 i think. I plan to take a closer look at the gun what should i look for?
    Pre ban Maadis will only be from Steyr, NJ. The importer mark will be on the right side of the receiver.

Everything else is a post ban. So, if it does not say Steyr, Secaucus, NJ on the right side of the receiver, it is a post ban rifle.

That does not mean there is anything wrong with it. Just be careful if you see it in normal AKM configuration (pistol grip, regular stock), that means someone else already deneutered the rifle, you may need to verify for 922(r) compliance.

Century Arms also imported some Maadi rifles, my advice would be to stay away from these. The MISR 90s are frankenstein butcher jobs made from Egyptian and Chinese parts. Century also imported the MISR 10, which I don't think is as good as the ARM, or RML (RML is long barrel version).

Other post ban rifles such as ARM, RML are fine. Just check for normal condition issues on these. The importers for these were Intrac in Knox, TN and Pars Intl. Corp.

On the other hand, even if it is a CAI rifle, $249 is a steal if it's in good condition. You can put in a little work afterwards and get it to look right. I just wouldn't get the MISR 90 because it's a hackjob.

(Allegheny County)

Like Garpman said. MAADIs were in demand because at the time, they were the ONLY true-to-form USSR-style AKM available. Even down to the bulged foregrips.

It wasn't 'cause they were any better or worse - just truer to the real-deal Soviet gun, made on Soviet machinery by Soviet trained techs.

Since then, the wall went down, borders opened, guns flowed freely - until 89. Now its all parts guns to us, except for the "sporterized" Saigas and WASRs.

(Monroe County)

so if i urchased this gun i would be able to find servicable replacement parts for it?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    so if i urchased this gun i would be able to find servicable replacement parts for it?

Yes, it is a stamped AK (ie; AKM) and so pretty much any AKM part (cept for the Yugo stuff) will fit this.

There haven't been any Egyptian AKMs coming into the USA in years, so follow Garp's advice as to which versions to avoid, and if it is one of the good ones and under $1000 - buy it. If more than a $1K - IMHO - there are equally serviceable AKMs out there for less.

(Montgomery County)

I've handled an Egyptian AK before and they seemed to be good quality, better than my SAR-1.

I was talking to one of the instructors at Sunset Hill when I went there last month, she is a big AK fan and was checking mine out. She said they have Egyptian AKs there and they have nothing but problems with them. No personal experience with them but that is what she said.

(Berks County)

There haven't been any Egyptian AKMs coming into the USA in years, so follow Garp's advice as to which versions to avoid, and if it is one of the good ones and under $1000
    Usually the pricier ones are MILLED receiver models, they tend to be more rare.

The desire (and higher price) for milled over stamped is the rifles strength and usually much better accuracy with a milled.

Unlike a sheetmetal receiver that the trunion is riveted in, and the barrel is then installed in the trunion, the barrel goes right into a milled receiver, there is no transition part .....hence, there is no movement of the barrel when you fire it. Milled provides a more solid platform.

I have fired a milled chinese AK-47S, it is much more accurate and a different "feel" to it compared to my Norinco MAK and WASR's as a comparison.

Now the million dollar question is, would "I" pay a premium for a milled AK? No, I am not into them that much, but I know guys that are and would.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Usually the pricier ones are MILLED receiver models, they tend to be more rare.

The desire (and higher price) for milled over stamped is the rifles strength and usually much better accuracy with a milled.

Unlike a sheetmetal receiver that the trunion is riveted in, and the barrel is then installed in the trunion, the barrel goes right into a milled receiver, there is no transition part .....hence, there is no movement of the barrel when you fire it. Milled provides a more solid platform.

I have fired a milled chinese AK-47S, it is much more accurate and a different "feel" to it compared to my Norinco MAK and WASR's as a comparison.

Now the million dollar question is, would "I" pay a premium for a milled AK? No, I am not into them that much, but I know guys that are and would.
    He was only referring to the Egyptian rifles when he said "versions to avoid". There have only been Egyptian AKMs, there are no milled Egyptian AKs available here.

However, the stamped rifles work just as fine, if it were that significant, the Soviets, and then Russia wouldn't have given it up even if it costs more time and money to manufacture. Bulgaria kept nearly all their rifles milled though, and most of their service rifles even now are milled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast