Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default .380 melancholy .... (sigh)

Took the .380 S&W Bodyguard out to the range today. Not the first time. It shot well. The l-o-n-g trigger is almost like a two stage trigger. Long and somewhat gritty I have to say. The bullets hit well around and on the bull at 10 yards but it was an effort to concentrate the hold while waiting for the trigger pull to do its thing. Looked at a P238 in a local gun - hardware store. Sure would like to be able to try one out before buying. Maybe I should just keep what I have. Aren't defensive guns just "snap fired" anyway? It is kind of like changing girlfriends. Not really sure I want to do it. Can anybody here help me make up my mind?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .380 melancholy .... (sigh)

LCP, Bodyguard, the long heavy trigger pull is part of the "safety" feature as most people pocket carry etc these guns or in a purse....

My advice is to dry fire the crap out of the gun and get use to it...In my LCP i replaced the trigger from a company called Galloway P. it got rid of the trigger bite i was getting on the LCP, although my bodyguard 380 when i had one didnt hurt my finger so bad..

Never shot the P238, but a buddy of mine had one that spent more time at Sig than at the range

(Bucks County)

Call me old school but my favorite .380 is one in 9X18 (the .380's slightly bigger brother).

Have you ever shot a Makarov? They are slightly heavier than the pistols you mentioned but they are built like a tank from forged steel and ALWAYS go bang.....

Just an option (cheaper too)

(Lackawanna County)

I have shot both bodyguard and Sig p238 back to back at the range. My wife got the sig and my mother in law got the bodyguard about two weeks apart last year. They decided to meet at the rAnge to try them out for the first time. The Sig shoots like a dream- easy to control and highly accurate, like a miniature 1911. At 10 yards I put pretty much every shot from the Sig inside the 10-ring. With the Bodyguard .380 I struggled to get just on paper. After 2 mags I realized it was the incredibly shitty trigger causing this inaccuracy. I gave it back to my MIL and said "good luck with that!"

I have a number of other Smith and Wesson products, but I'm thankful the Bodyguard .380 is not one of em haha. Just my 2 cents.
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post
    I have shot both bodyguard and Sig p238 back to back at the range. My wife got the sig and my mother in law got the bodyguard about two weeks apart last year. They decided to meet at the rAnge to try them out for the first time. The Sig shoots like a dream- easy to control and highly accurate, like a miniature 1911. At 10 yards I put pretty much every shot from the Sig inside the 10-ring. With the Bodyguard .380 I struggled to get just on paper. After 2 mags I realized it was the incredibly shitty trigger causing this inaccuracy. I gave it back to my MIL and said "good luck with that!"

I have a number of other Smith and Wesson products, but I'm thankful the Bodyguard .380 is not one of em haha. Just my 2 cents.
    Perhaps because it's a nearly identical copy of a Colt Mustang .380?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Perhaps because it's a nearly identical copy of a Colt Mustang .380?

You can even swap magazines between the p238 and the Mustang (and the Colt Pony which is DAO).
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

get a S&W .38 spl airweight
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I will second this. For a deep carry or pocket carry, you can't go wrong with it. And being a revolver, it's always going to go bang
    Male RN

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Call me old school but my favorite .380 is one in 9X18 (the .380's slightly bigger brother).

Have you ever shot a Makarov? They are slightly heavier than the pistols you mentioned but they are built like a tank from forged steel and ALWAYS go bang.....

Just an option (cheaper too)
    + 1 on that, anyone have a time frame for when S&W went from making pistols that were built like fine watches to selling crap, like knowing if a Winchester is pre or post 1964.

BTW I have a S&W lemon squeezer built around turn of 20th century that has a 2 stage trigger. It is a DAO pocket revolver in 38 S&W with shrouded hammer. The 2 stage trigger is intended to allow the shooter a chance to re acquire the target after the majority of trigger travel is over. Funny gun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I prefer & normally carry a full sized 1911, but when I HAVE to conceal I carry my 642 in a pocket holster. My wife has a nice P238 Equinox & while it's perfect for her, I just have trouble getting a good grip on it.

I also believe in carrying the largest caliber you can handle, so I'm not a big fan of the .380. It certainly does have it's place though. While the .380 or .38 Spl probably won't drop the charging water buffalo that's assaulting you with one shot, it will make it want to go someplace else, so I guess that's good enough for PD.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast