Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default H&K P7M8 Barrel Issues?

Hey guys..new to the forum and hoping to get some opinions here...I finally caved in and bought my coveted "Holy Grail" of carry pistols (for me), the H&K P7M8. The pistol is brand new, but upon getting home and inspecting it VERY closely, I see at the end of the barrel, just inside the muzzle, there seems to be pitting or something going on (approx 1/8" past the crown, on bottom side). I'm fairly sure it's not rust or residue of any type, because it seems to just be a rough, pitted area (not raised), whereas the rest of the barrel is oh-so-shiny stainless with no imperfections... I haven't shot the gun yet, but I was wondering if any of y'all have ever seen/experienced this with a NEW gun (and an expensive one at that!). If so, did it necessarily affect function,accuracy, etc.? Any responses appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: H&K Barrel Issues?

Take it to French Creek Outfitters and ask for Stan. He is one of the gun department managers. Stan owns the same pistol, so he could probably assist you. Tell him Sy sent you.

You could also try asking this question at www.HKpro.com I only owned the USP, so I couldn't help you with your pistol. Good luck and let us know what you found out. You might want to take some pictures of what you are referring to...pictures can say a lot more than words.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: H&K P7M8 Barrel Issues?

You can also try The Cult of the P7.

http://snipurl.com/189u2

(Montgomery County)

Call HK and ask to speak with Travis. Explain exactly what you see and your concern to him and he will either tell you to send it to him or not to worry about it. More than likely he will want you to send it back for examination.
    Personally, I would fire it a bunch for accuracy before parting with it back to HK. You will be able to tell if it is a real problem if it's way off target or key-holeing. I have never heard of or seen this problem before (post a pic if you can) and I own 3 P7's. Let us know how you make out.
    ~Wales

I have the Gun Digest disassembly book open, the P7 has a gas locked breach, under the barrel attached toward the muzzle is a gas piston. The spot you see is likely to be a gas port to the piston.
    if you have an owners manual check it out.

(Westmoreland County)

The gas port is on the breech end of the barrel.

(Chester County)

I've never noticed this on my P7M8. I'll check again when I have a chance (mine's loaded and I'm not in a position to clear it and start poking around in it).

My immediate inclination would be to say that you've one with a bad barrel that is either inherently flawed, or got messed up when it was rifled.

If the barrel is inherently flawed (and the flaw is more than "skin" deep) you don't want to be shooting it -- you're inviting a blown barrel and possible injury.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys... This weekend is the first chance I'll get to go to the range, but I'm stopping by my local gun shop first, before I fire a round. I mean, I am an admitted perfectionist, so upon receipt of the pistol, I examined EVERYTHING. The best way to describe it is VERY small, dark 'craters' or 'pits' just inside the muzzle, on the grooves of the rifling. I mean, you really have to look closely for it to notice them (even w/ a bore light), and I also found smaller instances of this on the upper inside of the barrel. I don't know if I'm just splitting hairs or being overly concerned... If the rangemaster inspects it and doesn't notice or seem too worried, I plan on shooting it for accuracy. If it's grouping poorly, then back to H&K it goes, I guess...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGun View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys... This weekend is the first chance I'll get to go to the range, but I'm stopping by my local gun shop first, before I fire a round. I mean, I am an admitted perfectionist, so upon receipt of the pistol, I examined EVERYTHING. The best way to describe it is VERY small, dark 'craters' or 'pits' just inside the muzzle, on the grooves of the rifling. I mean, you really have to look closely for it to notice them (even w/ a bore light), and I also found smaller instances of this on the upper inside of the barrel. I don't know if I'm just splitting hairs or being overly concerned... If the rangemaster inspects it and doesn't notice or seem too worried, I plan on shooting it for accuracy. If it's grouping poorly, then back to H&K it goes, I guess...
    That sounds vaguely not good, to be blunt. Rust? Pits from forging? Bad batch of steel?

If the gun is brand new and unfired, why not just send it in or return it to the shop you bought it for another one?
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Unhappy Re: H&K P7M8 Barrel Issues?

I just spoke with the gunshop... Tomorrow morning I'm going to take it back and the in-house H&K cert. armorer is going to look at it. I have a hunch he'll take it back and send it to the company (They only had 1 P7M8 left after I bought mine, and they have a huge sign advertising that "the last lot is up for grabs," or something like that - So I think instead of swapping it out for the other new one, if it's still there, they'll just ship mine out, if the problem is indeed more than just "cosmetic"). Hmmm... darn it, I was so eager to break that bad boy in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast