Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Consolidating ads

Looking at the classifieds this morning, I noticed one seller with 6 ads on the front page, 5 of them being some sort of AK variant and another seller with 3 ads.
    So almost half of the front page ads are by two users.

The next page has sellers running two ads, both sellers could have easily made one listing, one even is selling two of the same brand hunting rifle.

Other forums allow only two classifieds to run from a user at a time, this forces consolidation.
    Bumps are allowed less frequently than three days.

IMO, if a guy wants to list his entire AK collection, he should list it as such or use gunbroker if he wants to run an ad for every single one.

It's just such a mess to browse IMO.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Consolidating ads

And I can't stand seeing a heading like "Whole Buncha GUNS FOR SALE!"

WTF? Am I supposed to open every ad like that just to see what is being sold? Puh-leeze - I'm not even going to look.

Pretty cool how we all have different opinions though. World would be a boring place otherwise.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    And I can't stand seeing a heading like "Whole Buncha GUNS FOR SALE!"

WTF? Am I supposed to open every ad like that just to see what is being sold? Puh-leeze - I'm not even going to look.

Pretty cool how we all have different opinions though. World would be a boring place otherwise.
    No, I do agree, but only to a point.
    I suppose it's just a matter of what I consider etiquette, if I'm selling 5 AK variants, I, out of common courtesy of the other sellers, would make one listing with the heading "5 AK's for sale, various types".

Also, if I were selling two Remington 700's, I would do the same "Two Remington 700's, 308 & 30-06, NIB" instead of taking the space of two listings on the first page.

If a guy is selling say a Beretta 92 and a Colt King Cobra, same thing, "Beretta 92 & Colt King Cobra".

I can see where making separate listings make sense, but when selling similar items or only two where the ad can be consolidated, I can't see why people can't exercise some courtesy.

As for vague headings on forums, maybe you should look at them, I've found those are the sellers that don't know what they have and are giving them away. Like the $150 Finnish M28/30 I bought from a local message board.
    Listing title was "Shortened Nagant Rifle".

(Luzerne County)

What bugs me are the adds that have been bumped for the last two years. The one selling tools and engine parts or a car, whatever.

The poster comes on every three or four days just to bump the add but never participates is non classified threads. Basically using the site for want adds.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Warren County)

I agree, on other sites you are required to both combine ads and have a min number of posts prior to being able to post someting for sale.

Another thought, should a max number of bumps be given before an item is closed. If it doesn't sell for your asking price after 30 bumps, mayb, just maybe your asking way too much??? just a thought........

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    What bugs me are the adds that have been bumped for the last two years. The one selling tools and engine parts or a car, whatever.

The poster comes on every three or four days just to bump the add but never participates is non classified threads. Basically using the site for want adds.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by chez323 View Post

Another thought, should a max number of bumps be given before an item is closed. If it doesn't sell for your asking price after 30 bumps, maybe, just maybe your asking way too much??? just a thought........

Not everyone is endowed with a functional common sense gland.

Those who bump the same overpriced merch 30+ times are most likely playing the lottery several different ways every day, because as we all know, "the next ticket is the winner!"

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Warren County)

True, very true........ I used to say when I was on active duty " common sense isn't that common anymore".

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Not everyone is endowed with a functional common sense gland.

Those who bump the same overpriced merch 30+ times are most likely playing the lottery several different ways every day, because as we all know, "the next ticket is the winner!"

Noah
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Berks County)

Devil's advocate argument here.

Do you really want to make more laws / rules about what other people can or can't do just for your own convenience? You can just click through to the next page or hide posts from serial classified users (actually, not sure if this forum has the 'hide' function or not).

On edit: yes, you can go to your settings & add a user to your "Ignore List".
    Last edited by theunrulychef; June 19th, 2014 at 10:46 AM.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    Devil's advocate argument here.

Do you really want to make more laws / rules about what other people can or can't do just for your own convenience? You can just click through to the next page or hide posts from serial classified users (actually, not sure if this forum has the 'hide' function or not).

On edit: yes, you can go to your settings & add a user to your "Ignore List".
    It's not about convenience, it's about common courtesy to other users.

This is a private entity, not your government, I currently own enough firearms that I could flood the first 10 pages with single ads for guns and then bump them forever every three days, there is no "rule" that says I cannot do so, so why don't I?
    Because I'm not an inconsiderate assclown.

This is simply a suggestion based on what I consider people taking advantage of the other users, filling the first page every three days with 5 or more ads is simply inconsiderate in most instances, especially when the person is selling 5 of the same type of firearm and the ads could easily be consolidated if that person had the slightest bit of common sense.

It's not about me being inconvenienced, or anyone else being so, it's about people flooding pages with multiple ads, some of whom are dealers using the site as their own personal free Gunbroker.

(Indiana County)

Limiting each user to 3 ads at a time per category would allow all the use of the first few pages and cut way down on the 20+ bumps some ads get.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast