Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just by happenstance, my 3 handguns are all Taurus

I never planned this and know what some people think of this brand.

I had a Seecamp 32. Very nice and excellent craftsmanship, but it was too small, kind of heavy for it's size and IMO and if I'm going to use 32 cal for defense, I preferred FMJ. Seecamps recommend only (certain) JHP's. So I sold it and got a Taurus TCP. It's light, conceals really well (as good as the Seecamp) and goes bang each an every time. Got to "move up" to a 380 to boot.

Have a 38 special ultra light. Feels great in the hand, easy to conceal. Snappy, but fun to shoot and it shoots like a champ. I will NEVER sell this. Great little wheel gun.

Had a Beretta Nano. Yeah it had the problems that have been widely reported, but two trips to the factory took care of all that and it shot fine. Only problem was for some reason, I could not hit the side of a barn with it. I really wanted to like it. I guess it just wasn't a good fit for me. Local shop (Tanners) was offering a great deal on Taurus PT1911 and I couldn't resist. Out with the Nano and in with the PT1911.

Had the 1911 out to the range today first time. Shot 75 rounds and perfect!

I would like to get a compact 9 again, but for now both the TCP and Ultralight are easy to conceal and when the weather turns cooler, I plan on bringing the 1911 in to the mix.

Smile Re: Just by happenstance, my 3 handguns are all Taurus

Taurus gets an un deserved bad reputation,their revolvers are great and accurate,their semi autos of late are real good shooter,even the G-2 very similar to a Glock 26,with double tap capabilities,congrats.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Just by happenstance, my 3 handguns are all Taurus

My first two handguns that I purchased for myself were made by taurus and I still shoot them regularly. The first was a taurus 709 slim, I have had it for about two years now and the gun has been flawless with good ammunition. I have had a couple light primer strikes when I have shot Tula ammo but I have never had a FTF or FTE in all the rounds that I have put through it. I can not remember a single malfunction of any kind with brass cased ammo or any of my handloads. I still carry this gun regularly in the summer as it conceals very well with a crossbreed supertuck holster. It will eat speer gold dot's all day long. The only downside is magazine price and availability.

My other Taurus is a tracker 990, it is a 9 shot, double action 22 LR revolver. This gun is a joy to shot and is surprisingly accurate. The trigger sucked at first but after lots of range time and and dry fire with some plastic 22lr rounds the action is quite smooth in double action. The fit and finish is no where near a ruger or smith but for the price I paid ($340 OTD new) I can not complain.

(Cumberland County)

You are correct, Taurus has a less than stellar reputation. I had originally thought they were a good value, but then I bought my first semi ( PT 145 ) and after 50 rounds or so, stopped going bang - frustrating. With that said, I now stay away from most semi auto Taurus's. I don't have any issues with their revolvers, and have a few of them and have never had any issues. I would also probably consider a 1911 or Beretta 92 style ( not sure if they finally had to stop, but they had moved into the Beretta plan in S.A. many years ago and their 92 series were pretty much Beretta's ). So for me, a mixed bag as far as Taurus - if it's a revolver or a semi with a hammer, I will probably go for it, but would stay away from any that are striker fired - jmo. Good luck with yours!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Berks County)

I have a PT809 and I love it.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lancaster County)

I have a couple of PT92s, a 917 and a couple of PT1911s.

They are all really nice guns.
    Johnnie F.

I got my share of Taurus semis, but not because I'm a Taurus nut, as some folk, here, suggest. I'm just critical and want as much for a dollar as I can get, and Taurus delivers on that with a lot of their handguns. I could care less if a man with a bone in his nose on the other side of the galaxy built the thing.

I don't know if a 24/7 or 800 series pistol will go the distance like a Glock or HK will, but as far as ergonomics and the way a gun feels in your hand, only the HK P30/HK 45 can compete, and personally, I like the Taurus controls, better. The most I have gotten on a polymer Taurus ('06 24/7 Pro 9mm) is just over 9500 rds, and that gun is retired to my daughter's pillow, or when she feels like taking it out.

eta - FWIW, I've sold off almost all of my Taurus polymers due to sticking to just one gun style (1911). I can't recall losing any money one any of them other than the two OSS DS 9MM's I traded off at a show to get the last new HK USP in FL (paid $950 for the pair when they first came out and got $700 back).
    Last edited by harold63; June 17th, 2014 at 10:19 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lancaster County)

I have 2. A 92 stainless revolver, that has been back to the factory once, and at least now goes Bang... - that's about all I can say for that one. I also have a 1911 that I bought used, looser than a $3 used whore, but shoots like a dream and has a sweet trigger !

I think it is hit or miss.

Cb

(Montgomery County)

I have a PT1911 and have never had any issues with it.

(Montgomery County)

My PT1911 was locking back on a full mag. I figured the bullet nose was just pushing up on the slide stop that was maybe out of tolerance. Taurus sent me a new slide stop and it seems to have fixed the issue. The only other issue is the junky stock magazine but that's fixed with some Wilson Combats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast