Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default 4 or 5 inch barrel for IDPA competition?

For as long as I can remember I have mostly shot pistols with around a 4 inch barrel length, give or take a little either way.

I've been looking at new handguns for IDPA. I decided to ditch my Glock 17 and move on to something else. I'd say the main contender right now is the Walther PPQ which is made in a 4 or 5 inch barrel and perhaps the new H&K.

Some say the longer sight radius with a 5 inch barrel will have better accuracy, my thinking is that it might be slower to get on target.

So my question is what is your take? Are the 5 inch barrel guns worth it, any measurable difference or advantage to a 4 inch barrel gun for IDPA competition or even USPSA?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: 4 or 5 inch barrel for IDPA competition?

A longer barrel definitely helps with accuracy at farther ranges and can tame recoil to a degree as you can get more speed from lighter loads. Even at short distances, I find the longer guns easy to make hits with as you can vector off the top of the slide faster than you can a shorter gun. Try pointing at something with your finger extended versus pointing with your knuckle....it's more intuitive....

It's sort of the same with the weight. I shoot my 43oz gun more accurately at speed than my 34oz gun (guns are mostly identical save for weight) as it's easier to pull the trigger on the heavier gun without disturbing the sights and the sights are easier to track). The lighter gun transitions faster and is easier to brake on target when you're really ripping the gun to the next shot.

This is a 43oz gun. It's fast, but if you watch the gun on the far targets you can see me have to make a small adjustment to bring the gun back as I overshot the target a bit on my braking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYPp1OPNnaI

Lycanyou'lladapttoeitherthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Northampton County)

Once again Lycan is spot on

(Montgomery County)

Why are you getting rid of your G17?

The only thing a shorter barrel is better for is transitions. At least that's what some shooters better than myself seem to think. I plan on sticking with a G17 for quite a while in IDPA and USPSA unless I see a G34 at a really good price. Eventually, I'll move to a 34.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Bucks County)

I'm assuming SSP/ESP? There's always the XDM 5.25. Or a 9mm 1911, or 2011. All depends on your budget.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Lancaster County)

Just bumped up to a G34 myself. Way less sight picture drift mid pull and much more forgiving of tiny grip inconsistencies under speed & pressure. I noticed the difference between 3.5" I had previously used to 5.3 much more than to 4.4, much more than merely the mathematical difference between options. It's interesting that glock did the 17L first before the 34, and only did the latter b/c some competition rules said 6" barrel (or whatever that made the OAL be) was too long, or so some sources say.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; June 21st, 2014 at 12:03 AM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Why are you getting rid of your G17?

The only thing a shorter barrel is better for is transitions. At least that's what some shooters better than myself seem to think. I plan on sticking with a G17 for quite a while in IDPA and USPSA unless I see a G34 at a really good price. Eventually, I'll move to a 34.
    Compared to other Glocks I have used, this particular Gen 4 made in early 2013 has never felt right or been consistent. Perhaps at some point I might try another barrel in it. I find I shoot a lot of pistols much better than this one and have done so in IDPA as well. I don't plan on getting rid of it, it will just be retired to other duties and I can tinker with it down the road.

As I previously found years ago in competition, sometimes you just outgrow guns and want that extra 5-10% that the current gun can't provide.

Sounds to me like the 5 inch barrel is worth a try. I was looking at the PPQ and will probably go for the 5 inch barrel. The only problem with that gun will be getting a holster. Also I don't mind shooting ESP also and would probably do that with a Sig Sauer.

(Allegheny County)

Not a fan of the PPQ

Sits really high in the hand and has a lot of flip to it for a 9mm, and the trigger is shit.