Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: .22lr Suppressor Cleaning

A sonic cleaner supposedly corrodes aluminum over time. The best method I've heard is baking soda and in a sandblaster. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...hp?f=2&t=59554
    With stainless steel baffles like the kestrel you can use "The dip" which eats lead and everything else.
    Last edited by homedefender; June 16th, 2014 at 05:40 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by homedefender View Post
    A sonic cleaner supposedly corrodes aluminum over time. The best method I've heard is baking soda and in a sandblaster. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...hp?f=2&t=59554
    With stainless steel baffles like the kestrel you can use "The dip" which eats lead and everything else.
    I get that, but is it the sonic cleaner that is hurting the aluminum or is it the chemicals being used in conjunction with it?

In my US cleaner manual it says i can do alum parts with the right cleaner, nothing like you would use for cleaning gun parts or dirty brass...

Im not saying you're wrong, because i also know the precaution with the aulm in US cleaners, never was entirely sure of if it being the US or the cleaner or the combo of both?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    I get that, but is it the sonic cleaner that is hurting the aluminum or is it the chemicals being used in conjunction with it?

In my US cleaner manual it says i can do alum parts with the right cleaner, nothing like you would use for cleaning gun parts or dirty brass...

Im not saying you're wrong, because i also know the precaution with the aulm in US cleaners, never was entirely sure of if it being the US or the cleaner or the combo of both?

from what I read the sonic cleaner itself will corrode most alum. for $150 for the upgrade I'm sending my can in the next week or so just for the ease of removing the baffle stack and cleaning
    Last edited by homedefender; June 16th, 2014 at 08:33 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post

Not all aluminum can be sonic cleaned, even with Dawn Dishwasher liquid, however the aluminum used in Huntertown Arms suppressors can be sonic cleaned. Now for the chemicals, I have always played it really, really safe and have only used spring water with Dawn.

Here's the sonic cleaner I bought on Amazon. I like the fact it has a heater built in, but it is small.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Washington County)

I'm going to try WCGS's method when mine needs cleaned; I'll have to get a sonic cleaner first. Hopefully I get a chance to get out this weekend and put about 500 rounds through it.

Or maybe I'll just upgrade asap..
    Last edited by TheGhost27; June 17th, 2014 at 04:44 PM.
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=154&t=87466

ran across this thread just now.

some good info.
    Yes that is a very good thread because of the severe warning on the toxicity of using the dip. Thankfully it ends with this post on how to make it less harmful.

Am a Ph.D. Chemist ... retired.

Elemental lead is not that bad ... if not made into dust and inhaled.

Lead acetate IS that bad!!! Do NOT get the solution on you, ingest or breath it!!!!

However ... the lead can be precipitated from spent dip by adding chloride ions to it. Make a saturated solution of table salt (NaCl) in water and add it to the spent dip until nothing more precipitates ... then add a little extra.

The lead chloride (which is insoluble) can be filtered out and disposed of safely.

Wet tumbling w stainless pins is very effective on stainless steel baffles BTW.
    Better Living through Chemistry!
    "Governments... derive their just powers from the consent of the governed."

(Allegheny County)

that is why i haven't DIPed it yet.

thankfully, i have 2 brand new ones to gunk up before i have to worry about tit

(Washington County)

I cleaned my Huntertown Arms Guardian with the aluminum baffles once already and it was not fun. I'm striving for no more than 1000 rounds between cleaning. It was difficult the first time. I had to use a wooden dowel to knock out the baffles because they were so stuck. I'm guessing I needed more soak time in my cleaner. I was using Orange Cleaner. It didn't hurt anything so I will use it again. I'm tempted to give the sonic cleaner a try though.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCGS View Post
    Let the flaming begin, but I spoke with Huntertown Arms about cleaning their Guardian aluminum cans in my sonic cleaner using Dawn dishwasher liquid and they said, "No problem, our aluminum Guardian cans can handle it, both the tube and the baffles." I have been cleaning all my Guardian cans in the sonic cleaner for about a year now without issues.

I only clean ours about once a month, I first soak them in diesel fuel over night to loosen up the crud, then sonic clean them for three 4-minute cycles with the heater turned on, and then give them a quick rub with 0000 steel wool and done.
    There was a thread around here about sonic cleaners and the affects of it on the metal. Basically the guy put various metals in it for long periods. The results showed no damage.

I would think that some damage might occur when several pieces are touching while in the sonic bath. Seems they would vibrate against each other.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Washington County)

Instead of trying to figure the best method for cleaning my guardian, I have dispatched it to huntertown arms for the kestrel upgrade. Teresa from huntertown arms told me there is a 1-2 day turnaround for upgrades. So being that i sent it today, maybe i'll have it at the end of next week or the beginning of the following week..
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast