Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inertia puller

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Inertia puller

Quote Originally Posted by JStem1283 View Post
    How long do yours last (time/rounds)? Not that $20 is a lot of money, but buying one every year seems a bit silly to me. The other type is obviously a larger financial investment, but if its something that will last a long time/require less effort/time I'd rather make it now vs just making an annual inertia puller purchase.
    Mine last several years, but, I don't use them that much. Not that my reloading is perfect, it's just that I don't a lot of "salvaging" of strange ammo. I disassemble my own mistakes and that's about all.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Mine last several years, but, I don't use them that much. Not that my reloading is perfect, it's just that I don't a lot of "salvaging" of strange ammo. I disassemble my own mistakes and that's about all.
    Yea thats all I do. I think I have well under 300 rounds pulled and it was junk months ago.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Beaver County)

I have a RCBS that I've had for at least twenty years.

No issues,yet.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    I have a RCBS that I've had for at least twenty years.

No issues,yet.
    Ditto.

I find it works best if I use a thumb and forefinger hold only instead of gripping it like a hammer.
    Letting it "bounce", for lack of a better description, seems to let it work MUCH better.

Doug

(Berks County)

You know it's speed not force that pulls the bullet. Not driving rail road spikes. Quick light raps. The puller should not suffer any damage.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeba View Post
    A collet puller is OK if you don't intend to reuse the bullets. That collet invariably leaves a ring around the jacketed ones and pretty much trashes lead pills. I have a Cabela's version of the intertial, and just last week pulled 380 Tula 7.62x39 steel-cased bullets with no damage to either the ammo or the puller.
    As an aside, I'd avoid the Forster model collet puller, as it's a royal pain to set up and operate.
    I've used an RCBS collet puller for almost 30 years without issue. It's fast and effective. Yes, there is a ring on the bullet, but it is only superficial and even if the collet is overtightened (you need only use enough force on the collet screw handle) the barrel rifling will swage deeper into the jacket than the collet ring.

I've re-used EVERY bullet I've pulled, without issue.

RCBS collet puller is the way to go, IMO.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I have an RCBS plastic inertia puller and it doesn't look much different than when I got it like 4 years ago. It doesn't take very many strikes to pull a bullet for me. As others have said a few quick light taps, and it's out. The head has very mild deformation, but it's very minimal and should still last me a long time. I don't pull a lot of bullets, just little mistakes or when something doesn't quite seem right, miss a primer, etc. I'm sure that it'll last me at least another 4 or 5 years, maybe more. I have the all plastic one that looks like this.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I have an RCBS plastic inertia puller and it doesn't look much different than when I got it like 4 years ago. It doesn't take very many strikes to pull a bullet for me. As others have said a few quick light taps, and it's out. The head has very mild deformation, but it's very minimal and should still last me a long time. I don't pull a lot of bullets, just little mistakes or when something doesn't quite seem right, miss a primer, etc. I'm sure that it'll last me at least another 4 or 5 years, maybe more. I have the all plastic one that looks like this.

Thats the kind I think I'm gonna get. Figure it cant hurt to try another type first.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: Inertia puller

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I've used an RCBS collet puller for almost 30 years without issue. It's fast and effective. Yes, there is a ring on the bullet, but it is only superficial and even if the collet is overtightened (you need only use enough force on the collet screw handle) the barrel rifling will swage deeper into the jacket than the collet ring.

I've re-used EVERY bullet I've pulled, without issue.

RCBS collet puller is the way to go, IMO.

Noah
    I've got the RCBS and the Hornady. I lean towards the Hornady these days.
    I've run tests on pulled bullets and for general shooting I never found any impact on accuracy. I wouldn't use them in bench rest competition but otherwise no worries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12