Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Any info on Mt. Joy Sportsman range upgrades

Does anyone have info on upgrading/reopening Mt Joy Sportsman ranges? I have not been to any recent meetings or been in area to check on any construction. Last meeting I attended, maybe two months ago, they were talking about getting permits and starting construction.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Any info on Mt. Joy Sportsman range upgrades

Their Facebook page, which is hardly ever updated, and never answers question that people ask, says a lot has been happening in the background and work is supposed to be starting soon. I think they also said that months ago. It also said something about not holding them to an August completion.

I drove by 2 weeks ago and nothing had been started. The outdoor ranges have been shut down for almost 5 months now and we have to renew dues now?

(Lancaster County)

Just ran by there at lunch today. Nothing happening on site except there is now a large dumpster parked over towards the storage garage. All ranges still closed down.

(Lancaster County)

Yesterday I received a note in the mail from the club. It reminds me that dues are due, but also included a drawn site plan showing what the grounds will look like when all of the construction is done.

It says the rifle range will be open during some periods during the work around August. That would be needed as we approach hunting season again.

From what they show, it should end up being a very nice range when done. Now as long as some members don't start getting rounds off site again or damage the place........

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetman03 View Post
    Yesterday I received a note in the mail from the club. It reminds me that dues are due, but also included a drawn site plan showing what the grounds will look like when all of the construction is done.

It says the rifle range will be open during some periods during the work around August. That would be needed as we approach hunting season again.

From what they show, it should end up being a very nice range when done. Now as long as some members don't start getting rounds off site again or damage the place........
    I got same notice. The diagram allowed me to envision what ranges will look like better than blueprints, which were at meeting I attended. I agree looks like nice layout.

Vetman if you are near club please keep us posted on progress. Thanks.

(Lancaster County)

New range isn't going in. Spoke to a fee of the board members. Said they didn't get funding. Asked when they knew and said "about a week ago."

I think they're stalling to get all their dues in and not lose cash.

Asked them when the range will be open and what they're doing to fix the problem. Got a "we need to figure out how to fix it" answer. Personally...you had 6 months to figure out a solution.... And you have yet to do it? What do you need another year to figure it out? Then another year to fix it? To me that's a bullshit excuse when you kept saying for months that progress is made, solutions are in place, construction will start in April.... Actually, may.... No, start in June.... Actually well be starting in July..... (expect to hear this for a few more months).

It pains me this range is so close yet seemingly so incompetent.

Also add that they are thinking about putting a 5 round restriction on loaded magazines to prevent rapid fire (might as well go to a state park), since the "berms weren't designed to handle rapid fire and we need to figure out how to fix it."

Sorry, rant off.

(Lancaster County)

It's sad that it takes me less than 15 minutes to drive there. I will not be renewing my membership with them. I will be very surprised if they are able raise any money at all.

(Lancaster County)

Can the club survive with an 50 foot indoor pistol range, 3D archery and trap? Maybe, but if the club had in addition a 25 yard pistol and rim fire rifle outdoor range it would have a lot better chance of surviving.

Trop's indoor range close to club charges $10-$12 a HALF hour. That is $40-$48 for two hours. Looking at it that way unlimited access to 25 yard outdoor range for $50 a year is quite a bargain.

If the club moved the firing line forward 175 yard the berm would be plenty high and a shooter would have to raise his firearm way up to get over the berm. In short it would be a safe range.

The proposed range revision seems to indicate a service road going down to the existing berm. So any access road necessary because of relocating the firing line forward could be used, if the club decided at a later date to construct the proposed ranges.

Moving the shooting benches forward or building new ones further down range would not be a major expense.

I know I would remain a member of the club, if the only outdoor facility was a 25 yard range. Would I like a 50 yard pistol and 200 yard rifle ranges? Sure, but I would stay a member with only the 25 yard range and hope that at least some of the proposed revision would be done later.

(Lancaster County)

The indoor range is limited to lead only bullets. Try to find them anywhere unless you happen to have the time and money to get into reloading. Seems like they are leaning towards a nice little range limited to certain people who reload, mainly the regime in charge. Other outdoor ranges in the county have gone to limiting magazines, restrictions on time between shots, etc.

It is probably too late to cancel my check for the dues renewal. I am out of town for the July meeting but will change my schedule around to be sure to be at the August meeting and say something.

This club is going down the tubes quickly in my opinion. Maybe that is the plan, sell of the land to extend the nearby park. Someone must know more than they are saying.

If anyone can report on what is said at the July meeting, please post it!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetman03 View Post
    The indoor range is limited to lead only bullets. Try to find them anywhere unless you happen to have the time and money to get into reloading. Seems like they are leaning towards a nice little range limited to certain people who reload, mainly the regime in charge. Other outdoor ranges in the county have gone to limiting magazines, restrictions on time between shots, etc.

It is probably too late to cancel my check for the dues renewal. I am out of town for the July meeting but will change my schedule around to be sure to be at the August meeting and say something.

This club is going down the tubes quickly in my opinion. Maybe that is the plan, sell of the land to extend the nearby park. Someone must know more than they are saying.

If anyone can report on what is said at the July meeting, please post it!
    Vetman,

Good point on the Mt Joy indoor range limitations. This is one reason I see a 25yard outdoor range as a big plus - it could handle all pistol caliber rounds, including jacket and lead. And again I mention the price comparison to Trop.

Other big plus of outdoor range is avoiding problems with EPA. At some point an unused range is considered abandoned. At that point clean up of the lead is required and this is a huge expense.

I do not think there is any conspiracy here, especially to sell the land to the park commission. The park commission knows they would have to clean up the lead in the berm. And if the park commission took over the club property they would shut down the trap fields. The lead on the ground from the trap field would also then have to be cleaned up along with the lead in the berm.
    Last edited by jack76590; July 10th, 2014 at 05:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast