Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Any info on Mt. Joy Sportsman range upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    Can the club survive with an 50 foot indoor pistol range, 3D archery and trap? Maybe, but if the club had in addition a 25 yard pistol and rim fire rifle outdoor range it would have a lot better chance of surviving.

Trop's indoor range close to club charges $10-$12 a HALF hour. That is $40-$48 for two hours. Looking at it that way unlimited access to 25 yard outdoor range for $50 a year is quite a bargain.

If the club moved the firing line forward 175 yard the berm would be plenty high and a shooter would have to raise his firearm way up to get over the berm. In short it would be a safe range.

The proposed range revision seems to indicate a service road going down to the existing berm. So any access road necessary because of relocating the firing line forward could be used, if the club decided at a later date to construct the proposed ranges.

Moving the shooting benches forward or building new ones further down range would not be a major expense.

I know I would remain a member of the club, if the only outdoor facility was a 25 yard range. Would I like a 50 yard pistol and 200 yard rifle ranges? Sure, but I would stay a member with only the 25 yard range and hope that at least some of the proposed revision would be done later.
    I, for one, would not renew if this was the case.

I enjoy shooting at trop, but yes it can get pricey.

However, one thing that trop doesn't satisfy is rifle shooting. One of my joys is shooting 1/2" groups with my 223 or 30-06, or challenging my wife with my ar to 200 yard open sight shoots. Almost to the point of enjoying it more than pistol shooting.

To me no only pistol and no rifle is just as bad as only rifle, no pistol.

I think in this day and age with gun fearing people , a range needs to maximize the number of people joining to survive, not compromise. I'd be willing to bet there is more strictly rifle shooters than pistol shooters there.

(Lancaster County)

Anyone go to meeting yesterday, Monday, July 14? If so I know many of us would appreciate report. I had planned to go, but did not with all the rain.

(Lancaster County)

I posted a comment on their Facebook page concerning the reports here that the new range is not going to be built now. That posting seems to have be deleted without any comment.

(Lancaster County)

All I have heard is that there have been challenges since the barn incident. It was discussed briefly at a recent meeting over at my club. Seems we are looking at different options to prevent the same thing. Not so much the hitting of the barn but the rapid fire and less than intelligent guests who are non members as well as the members who allow them to be idiots. I have heard that Mt Joy may not be in the best position to stick around. Mind you that's more gossip than anything but there's a real chance mt joy will either change dramatically or cease to be.

I liked the Mt Joy club when I shot in the William Penn league many years ago
    I’m sorry it’s going down hill

(Lancaster County)

I just drove by at lunch today and some work is being done around the existing dirt berms. Looks like additional dirt has been placed on top of the piles. The timbers on each side of the berms have been removed for now, maybe to be replaced.

Since they cashed my check for the annual renewal, it is nice something may be happening.

Nothing happening around the area of the proposed new pistol range.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetman03 View Post
    I just drove by at lunch today and some work is being done around the existing dirt berms. Looks like additional dirt has been placed on top of the piles. The timbers on each side of the berms have been removed for now, maybe to be replaced.

Since they cashed my check for the annual renewal, it is nice something may be happening.

Nothing happening around the area of the proposed new pistol range.
    Vetman,
    Thanks for report, good news. I sent in my dues, figuring I would give them another year to get squared away. Once a gun club is closed it is almost impossible to replace at todays land prices.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    All I have heard is that there have been challenges since the barn incident. It was discussed briefly at a recent meeting over at my club. Seems we are looking at different options to prevent the same thing. Not so much the hitting of the barn but the rapid fire and less than intelligent guests who are non members as well as the members who allow them to be idiots. I have heard that Mt Joy may not be in the best position to stick around. Mind you that's more gossip than anything but there's a real chance mt joy will either change dramatically or cease to be.
    What exactly happened? A neighbor's barn was hit?

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    Vetman,
    Thanks for report, good news. I sent in my dues, figuring I would give them another year to get squared away. Once a gun club is closed it is almost impossible to replace at todays land prices.
    Yes, if they're planning upgrades, members need to support them and keep them open until they're done or fully able to do these. If they take a year off until it's done, they may not have a place to go back to.

(Montgomery County)

its kind of funny that they remembered to mail renewals this year. first one I got in five years

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK 357 View Post
    its kind of funny that they remembered to mail renewals this year. first one I got in five years
    I thought the exact same thing. I still haven't stroked the check yet...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast