Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: XDMs in 3.8

(Berks County)

Default XDMs in 3.8

Okay, since I got the XDM 5.25, I decided that I like it a whole lot. It will be my winter carry/HD weapon and my CCW till I decide on what 3.8 to get.

I am looking to get a 3.8 in .40S&W. While I know the Compact would be a better carry piece, the grip is a little small for my hands unless I have the full size mag in. Now, I am curious if anyone has had either or both and tell me their thoughts.

I am leaning towards the fullsize, since I wanna be tacticool and get it with an OD frame.
    When in doubt, knifehand!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: XDMs in 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by CDKJudoka View Post
    Okay, since I got the XDM 5.25, I decided that I like it a whole lot. It will be my winter carry/HD weapon and my CCW till I decide on what 3.8 to get.

I am looking to get a 3.8 in .40S&W. While I know the Compact would be a better carry piece, the grip is a little small for my hands unless I have the full size mag in. Now, I am curious if anyone has had either or both and tell me their thoughts.

I am leaning towards the fullsize, since I wanna be tacticool and get it with an OD frame.
    I've got a XDM 40 fullsize. It's a great gun, very accurate. The wife liked shooting it so much that I got her an XDSC in 9mm. I also like larger grips but the SC grip isn't bad at all with the pinky extension. It's surprisingly accurate too. At 10-15 yds she can hit the center ring pretty consistently. Its never had a hiccup of any kind with any type of ammo.

I believe all models come in green but I could be wrong. I was looking for a green one but I couldn't pass up the deal at the Warminster show a few years back. It was less than all the used ones I saw that day. It pays to shop around.

(Lehigh County)

Don't have an XDm for comparison but I do have an XDs 45 3.8.

Great little carry gun. Mine has been 100% reliable and trouble free since I bought it.

I can pretty much conceal it IWB regardless of what I am wearing. I find that from a printing standpoint, it is just as easy to wear IWB as an LCP (sounds insane, but it is true). The recoil is a bit on the energetic side with defensive loads, but with the short mag it is still controllable. The 9mm version should be better in that respect.

For me the allure of the 3.8 is the ability to carry a larger caliber and still conceal it well. Adding the extended mag detracts from that a bit, but if you can conceal it, more power to you.

I particularly wanted a single stack for the concealment factor. I just can't make a double stack gun disappear as well as a single, which often meant I pocket carried a .380 instead of the 45.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 98Redline View Post
    Don't have an XDm for comparison but I do have an XDs 45 3.8.

Great little carry gun. Mine has been 100% reliable and trouble free since I bought it.

I can pretty much conceal it IWB regardless of what I am wearing. I find that from a printing standpoint, it is just as easy to wear IWB as an LCP (sounds insane, but it is true). The recoil is a bit on the energetic side with defensive loads, but with the short mag it is still controllable. The 9mm version should be better in that respect.

For me the allure of the 3.8 is the ability to carry a larger caliber and still conceal it well. Adding the extended mag detracts from that a bit, but if you can conceal it, more power to you.

I particularly wanted a single stack for the concealment factor. I just can't make a double stack gun disappear as well as a single, which often meant I pocket carried a .380 instead of the 45.
    I tried the XDs, but it was too thin in the hand for me. Thanks for the feedback!
    When in doubt, knifehand!

(Lawrence County)

I was sort of in the same boat, except it was do I get the 3.8c or another brand 40SW "compact" model.

If it wasn't for the price point (XDM about $100 more than M&P and Glock) I probably would have chose the 3.8C in 40.

Now to the why. When carrying a gun, the hardest part to conceal is the grip. A gun with a 18" barrel and 2" grip can easily be concealed, while the opposite not so much. With the 3.8 compact you get your choice. Short grip or long grip. If you need better concealment run the flush mag, at the range or winter carry use the extended mag. Also you get a mag grip that fits well and looks good while also providing more rounds.

So to me, why buy a std. 3.8 when you can get the compact version that will let you go short grip or std. 3.8 grip size. Almost like owning both.