I love big bore handguns. Just a personal preference.

I recently bought a Ruger Alaskan in 44 magnum, which has become my carry piece. This gun has a 2.5 inch barrel, and it got me thinking about the performance of the 44 magnum in this particular platform.

I understand that the 45 acp (another platform/cartridge that I love) is designed to be 5 inch barreled auto pistol that throws a .452 caliber, 230 gr. fmj slug at 850-900 ft/s.

Now, with 44 magnum platforms like the Alaskan, I've seen chronograph tests that indicate factory 44 magnum ammo (Blazer 240 44 magnums sjhp) doing less than 1000 ft/s. That gives the Alaskan a .429 caliber, 240 gr. slug going ~950 ft/s.

45 acp: 230 gr. @ ~900 ft/s
44 mag: 240 gr. @ ~950 ft/s

It would seem that the short barreled 44 magnums are NOT the 'overkill' cannons that will be just too much penetration. I know that many folks, even well-informed 'experts' (like Clint Smith) are staunch advocates of carrying a 1911 government model loaded with 'hot' 230 gr. hardball. But if that is not considered 'too much' for a carry load, than why do the 44 magnums with carry-friendly proportions (shorter barrels) get the reputation of being too much penetration? Consider further that the 44 mag slugs can be hollow points, and will penetrate less than the 45 fmj.

Now I know that the 44 mag CAN offer loads that are too much penetration for carry (300 grain hard-cast stuff). And I also know that the magnums will produce muzzle flash and load report. However, I honestly don't see THAT much difference between this and when I shoot 45 acp.

Upshot: Standard 44 magnum loads from a short barrel seem to approximate the ballistic potential of the much lauded 45 acp fmj from a 1911. Am I missing something?

Of course the 1911 and Ruger Alaskan are different shaped, and the flatter 1911 might be seen as easier to carry. But it would seem that 44 magnum, to me, isn't the 'overkill, overpenetration monster, that it has been called.

If we like/accept 45 fmj, than it would seem that 44 magnum from a concealed carry 44 platform would do just fine as well.

What are others' thoughts on this?