Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Choices on .380 sub compacts

I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 Plus as my everyday carry weapon. It is a double stack 380 auto and carries 15 rounds of hollow point in the magazine plus one in the chamber. I've grown to like the weight, capacity and concealability of the weapon, but it is time to upgrade to a Glock 19 in the near future.

There are times in my future where IWB carrying will be obvious because I will need to have a shirt tucked in. Pocket carry sounds more comfortable to me than ankle carry. I looked today at:

Kel Tec P3AT ($279)
    Ruger LCP ($320)
    Kel Tec PF9 ($300)

and I'm stumped. I like the P3AT for the price, but the sights blow. The LCP has ruger attached to it and it is small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket, but then I wonder if a PF9 can do the same job. Do you know of anyone who pocket carries a PF9, or if it is viable?

I can handle the recoil, the price and the trigger. Some people talk a lot of s*** about Kel Tecs but I liked this particular gun's trigger.

Is it viable to pocket carry a PF9?

Default Re: Choices on .380 sub compacts

Taurus TCP 380. smokes all three of those pistols you looked at. I don't like KelTec anything and the LCP is nice but shooting it sucks for the trigger being heavy as well as recoil. The TCP is snappy but not as baad and the trigger is light years better than the LCP. I just picked one up used but they can be had new for $179-199 again smoking the others...
    Oh and if you are questioning it's a Taurus google it and read, it's a good little pocket rocket for sure.

(Cumberland County)

Get a CrossBreed SuperTuck and carry the Bersa IWB. They're VERY comfortable.

Unless you absolutely MUST buy another gun....
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Taurus TCP 380. smokes all three of those pistols you looked at. I don't like KelTec anything and the LCP is nice but shooting it sucks for the trigger being heavy as well as recoil. The TCP is snappy but not as baad and the trigger is light years better than the LCP. I just picked one up used but they can be had new for $179-199 again smoking the others...
    Oh and if you are questioning it's a Taurus google it and read, it's a good little pocket rocket for sure.

I agree with the TCP reccomendation. I spent the better part of the day yesterday in several shops looking for a pocket pistol. Compared everthing you have listed above along with the S&W bodyguard which is what I was set on until the TCP and with the exception to the sights which the Smith was the only one that has real sights the TCP beats them all in every only her way.

The trigger is excellent no slop crisp 4lb break clean reset, comfortable to hold and easy to hide. It's all American made with a lifetime warrantee. I'm now on the hunt for one for a good price.

The kahr is better them them all but it's hitting $550 to $600 which is out of my budget.

(York County)

Carried my Bersa Firestorm for a while. Always found a way to conceal OWB or IWB, even in the summer.

BTW: Have you looked into the penetration of .380 JHP? My own thoughts / research led me to carry FMJ in my .380 as I don't believe JHP provide sufficient penetration or expansion in that caliber. YMMV

III% - Stand and be counted

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    Carried my Bersa Firestorm for a while. Always found a way to conceal OWB or IWB, even in the summer.

BTW: Have you looked into the penetration of .380 JHP? My own thoughts / research led me to carry FMJ in my .380 as I don't believe JHP provide sufficient penetration or expansion in that caliber. YMMV

There is more recent information that proves some .380 JHP ammunition to meet and exceed FBI penetration standards. There is a link for a video if you scroll down that provides data and the winners.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/fina...cp-ammo-quest/

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 Plus as my everyday carry weapon. It is a double stack 380 auto and carries 15 rounds of hollow point in the magazine plus one in the chamber. I've grown to like the weight, capacity and concealability of the weapon, but it is time to upgrade to a Glock 19 in the near future.

There are times in my future where IWB carrying will be obvious because I will need to have a shirt tucked in. Pocket carry sounds more comfortable to me than ankle carry. I looked today at:

Kel Tec P3AT ($279)
    Ruger LCP ($320)
    Kel Tec PF9 ($300)

and I'm stumped. I like the P3AT for the price, but the sights blow. The LCP has ruger attached to it and it is small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket, but then I wonder if a PF9 can do the same job. Do you know of anyone who pocket carries a PF9, or if it is viable?

I can handle the recoil, the price and the trigger. Some people talk a lot of s*** about Kel Tecs but I liked this particular gun's trigger.

Is it viable to pocket carry a PF9?
    Out of the 3 you mentioned, I would go LCP. I have not and will not own a Kel Tec or Taurus automatic - personal preference. Check out he new Glock 42, very nice. I have heard good things about the Bersa, but a little clunkier I think. I just picked up a Kahr 380, haven't received it yet, but expect it will be nice, love my K9. Try to shoot them all if you can - good luck!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    There is more recent information that proves some .380 JHP ammunition to meet and exceed FBI penetration standards. There is a link for a video if you scroll down that provides data and the winners.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/fina...cp-ammo-quest/
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I no longer carry .380 on a daily basis but I always like to follow the latest info.

III% - Stand and be counted

The Kel-tec I agree with I think they are a crap company that needs to provide their customers a good warranty for a reason. Until the TCP I would have agreed with you about carrying a Taurus but they have stepped up their game significantly with this all US made .380 for sure.

even if the rounds count were half of what this writer says it would be pretty damn good.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...aurus-738-tcp/

The Glock 42 is very nice but like the Bersa Thunder is on the bigger side of the pocket carry and unless you wear baggy cargo shorts and pants all the time it's going to print or be tight. It also appears to be having issues here and there. I would give it a generation or 2 before I invest $450.00 for a SD hand gun. When the bugs are all worked out it will be a great choice.

Just my .02

(Chester County)

Don't forget about the Micro Desert Eagle and Walther PPK...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast