Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default GI: Keystone VZ grips 1911

I've been talking with VZ about getting some custom grips lasered for my 1911. I'm getting layered G10 with a keystone pattern I created (via my apparel company) done. Naturally price can go down with quantity so I figured I'd see if anyone would be interested on here (since it is a PA forum). I'm getting one for myself either way, just would like to see some more out there. Not sure on pricing, should be around $150 (which could lower with quantity)

Here is a mock up of the pattern on a grip. Also a pic of my RIA with VZ grips for a better idea of the end result. Anyone interested???

(Bucks County)

Default Re: GI: Keystone VZ grips 1911

I would be in for their "cherry" color or tan

either way cool idea

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    I would be in for their "cherry" color or tan

either way cool idea
    Thanks...
    I was thinking about maybe doing them in Rosewood. Nothing in stone just yet.

(Delaware County)

Interested.
    Rifle first, rifle last, rifle always.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by f_bomb View Post
    I've been talking with VZ about getting some custom grips lasered for my 1911. I'm getting layered G10 with a keystone pattern I created (via my apparel company) done. Naturally price can go down with quantity so I figured I'd see if anyone would be interested on here (since it is a PA forum). I'm getting one for myself either way, just would like to see some more out there. Not sure on pricing, should be around $150 (which could lower with quantity)

Here is a mock up of the pattern on a grip. Also a pic of my RIA with VZ grips for a better idea of the end result. Anyone interested???
    I'm interested!

(Delaware County)

I am also interested. Thinking Cherry G10.

Would VZ offer the same options as on their others? (beveled bottom, magcut/no mag cut, etc)

(Chester County)

Have a lot of things on my plate...One suggestion was to hydro dip that pattern on a set of grips.

I would appreciate any input as I haven't had much hands on experience with hydro dipped products...

(Bucks County)

I like the design. Here are considerations...

The keystone pattern would have to have the two different colors cut at different depths, as the G10 composite is layered. I do not know exactly how VZ makes theirs; either molding to the finished design, or molded then cut to final design (likely). This would mean the two different color keystones woud be at different depths. I do not know how much tolerence and control is capable by the molding/ layering of the two colors, so the second color may bleed into the area of the other color. Also keep in ming the 1911 grip itself is round on the outside, so be design the layers would show through at different thicknesses.

Hydro dipping is essentially a decal. No matter what a manufacturer claims, it is a decal and will wear off. For a safe queen, this is okay, but if you plan tp carry it and use it, you may be dissappointed.

Have you considered VZ's other option, which is a patterned grip that has a central area where a logo or design can be placed? He has some examples in his custom and clearance listsings. This may be a single keystoone, which is different than your intended design.