Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Nephew wants to learn to shoot

My nephew is 8 and he was asking about going to the range. I don't have much firearm wise that he is capable of handling. I guess I need to get a .22 rifle for him to learn on. I can't decide which to get- Savage bolt .22 or Ruger 10-22.

I'm leaning to the Savage for him to learn basics on as far as operating the bolt and making that first shot count. Also, If he decides he wants to try hunting, he can use it for squirrels.

But, the Ruger has a lot of upgrades that can be done to it in the future to really be an accurate and fun gun to shoot. Drawback is it currently can't be used to hunt, unless the FUDDs get their shit together and change their minds on semi's.

I'm open for suggestions from people that have one or the other, or both rifles would be even better.
    Thanks

Default Re: Nephew wants to learn to shoot

I'd get him a bolt action. It will like you said teach him the basics. It will also like you said have him focus on making the first shot count.

10/22's are fun but IMO he's going to want to rip through 10 shots in a second.

My suggestion get the bolt action. When he proves he can handle the rifle and shoot it well then get him the 10/22 to have a fun gun. Then he can upgrade it how he sees fit.

(Lancaster County)

Magazines on a 10/22 can be loaded with just one round at a time if you want to use it as a single shot, or just simply emphasize each shot as being its own. There's nothing at all that says that a semi can't be used every bit as much to the point of making one shot at a time as a bolt action, and it offers the benefit of not having to move his grip or cheek weld but instead concentrate on the shot itself. Obviously NRA high power match shooters using AR's aren't "spraying and praying" so why assume that someone new starting out with a 10/22 must be? The Ruger they'll enjoy more. As for hunting, it's about people like you and me talking to the legislators and their donors, maybe even more so their donors because that's whose opinion they go with. Tell them it's about your nephew, not some abstract idea, and that some ***holes with nothing better to do are keeping him from going hunting.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Bucks County)

He's 8 yrs old. Start him with a bolt action. Loading one round at a time in a semi-auto is not gonna satisfy an inquisitive kid who is interested in guns.

He needs to concentrate on shooting technique, breath control, front sights, follow through, etc. That will serve him well as he advances to pistols, etc.

Worst case scenarios are more significant with a semi-auto than a bolt. The probabilities are low, maybe slightly higher for an 8 year old, but I know i wouldn't want to be a part of that kind of event.

When you are satisfied he's a decent marksman, you can reward him with a new "toy" . . . a scope, some form of semi-auto. The bolt action 22 can be used for anything in PA, and may well be with him for life.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; June 9th, 2014 at 01:19 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Cool Re: Nephew wants to learn to shoot

Here's another vote for the bolt action. My wife bought a Crickett just to teach various nieces and nephews.

If you want to get a gun that will become a legacy a good 22lr repeating rifle (Starting out ONE shot at a time, and then working up to 3s and 5s and so on) is hard to beat! The better he gets the more shots at a time is a nice reward.

I like single shots, but they get old quick when you are young. Funny how they gain appeal when you get older. Good luck and get the kid to the range.

(Allegheny County)

I agree that a bolt gun will be better to for kids to learn to take it slow and make shots count rather than just play bullet hose.

Here is a used Marlin Model 25

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/25...odel-25-a.html

In West Chester. Not my gun, but I learned to shoot with this type. Id research price as I think $135 might be high unless its pristine.

If you buy used and want a 10/22 down the road you will not take much of a loss if you sell the bolt gun.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Bucks County)

I'd go with a bolt action as others have said. Best to learn the basics of marksmanship first, without the temptation of rapid-fire.

If he's eight, I wouldn't bother with a cricket. He's probably already too big for that.

(Bucks County)

I'm teaching my 5 yr old on a Ruger 10/22 based rifle.

(Montgomery County)

I would say a bolt action. Ruger's new American Rimfire is very nice. They make a standard and a compact size. It take the same mag as the 10/22 and they do make single shot mags for them.

Here is the link to the compact version:

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ct/models.html

(Lebanon County)

I'll add my vote for a bolt action, not necessarily a single shot, nor bolt action but manual action.
    Now that I think about it for a few seconds, there's nothing wrong with a lever action or a pump action for a first rifle.
    My first was an Ithaca Model 49, single shot lever action. I got it for Christmas when I was 6 years old and still have it. (I actually have 4 of them now).
    I also have a few bolt action .22s as well as a few tube fed bolt action repeaters and a few Ruger 10-22s. The Marlin Model 25 is very good, it's basic, simple, extremely accurate and very reliable. (I had 2 of them, my oldest son and his kids have one of them now), It will handle anything from .22 short through CCI Mini-Mag and any hyper velocity .22lr ammunition varieties that are available.
    My kids all started with BB guns, then moved on to pellet guns, then the Ithaca and then the bolt action rifles, (size and fit was a consideration).
    The 10-22 is versatile, highly modifiable, as accurate as I could ask for and affordable, it's a very desirable rifle and I think everyone should own at least one, but I still usually prefer to shoot a bolt action .22 for fun, be it single shot or repeater and I think that platform is great for introducing youngsters to the world of marksmanship.
    I have to agree that a Cricket and the other little .22 for beginners, (I think it's called Chipmunk), are probably too small for an 8 year old. If they aren't too small they will be very soon, (They shrink fast in the hands of a pre-teen shooter).
    A semi auto can be loaded one round at a time but it's a pain in the ass. You don't want to start a kid on something that's not enjoyable, the pain in the ass factor goes along way in a child's perspective. That being said, a rifle that doesn't fit, (Too big OR too small can be a pain in the ass too).
    If you find a used manual action that's inexpensive enough you shouldn't feel too bad about cutting an inch or so off of the stock.
    On the subject of keeping the kid interested, reactive targets are great if you have a place to shoot that doesn't have a "paper only" rule, (Balloons and charcoal briquettes are my favorites,).

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast