Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Easiest to rack?

Quote Originally Posted by rob m View Post
    Just checked out the site very nice, it seems like it would work perfectly for use at the range for anyone who has issues with racking the slide.
    A solution to a problem that doesn't have to exist.

Range maybe but for a person who chooses to carry it's nothing but a crutch. A threat isn't going to wait for you to get the ez racker out to clear a jam or get one in the chamber. All that thing is teaching is to ignore fundamentals.

Very bad in my honest opinion, but to each their own.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    A solution to a problem that doesn't have to exist.

Range maybe but for a person who chooses to carry it's nothing but a crutch. A threat isn't going to wait for you to get the ez racker out to clear a jam or get one in the chamber. All that thing is teaching is to ignore fundamentals.

Very bad in my honest opinion, but to each their own.
    Agreed that it is no good for carry. If it helps someone who is intimated at the range though I see nothing wrong with it. If they start to feel more comfortable with a semi then they can look into other methods.

(Butler County)

Walther CCP. I looked at it at the NRA show, and it's really easy to pull the slide back.

http://www.waltherarms.com/ccp/

(Chester County)

Even a slide for a 9mm can be hard to rack for someone with bad wrists, arthritis, etc... My wife has carpal tunnel and has a hard time with all of my semi autos except the Ruger SR22. I know a 22 isn't a great round for self defense but it is easy to rack and better than a brick.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Berks County)

Ruger LC380 is made for people in your situation. Ammo is in short supply right now. That also means you can find one at a good price. Ammo will come back. 380 ammo has made leaps in recent years and is effective self defense choice now.

(Allegheny County)

First make sure you are using good technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRoTzK_JUTA

Between the big three of Glock, XD and M&P I would say the Glock is the easiest. However I am more expierienced with the full size models. Not as sure about the compacts you would carry.

I would work on technique first and then try some different models. See if you can try on some that are properly cleaned, lubed and broken in. All of those thing can go a long way to a easier slide to rack.

I know my Kahr was noticeably easier to rack after I cleaned it and lubed it. Much more so after its documented 250 round break in.
    Last edited by QuackXP; June 8th, 2014 at 09:01 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

My wife couldn't reliably rack the slides on any of my semis. Sometimes she'd get it done, but mostly she couldn't.

The way I taught her was instead of racking the slide; rack the gun. The way you do that is: Hold the slide firmly in your left hand, (for right handers), at about belt level & keep your left arm stiff. With your right hand, ram the grip/frame forward, like you're trying to rip it off the gun.

See if that helps.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lawrence County)

My Kimber would run with a 9lb recoil spring and a 19lb main. I just used a buff. The alumabuffs will handle the fast speeds.

A light sprung, full size 1911 will always be the easiest.

Lycansoftthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lawrence County)

Lycan lives ladies and gentlemen! I can attest to the ease of a full size 1911 with said poundage springs. Listen to the Wolfe man.... He's very wise...
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    My wife couldn't reliably rack the slides on any of my semis. Sometimes she'd get it done, but mostly she couldn't.

The way I taught her was instead of racking the slide; rack the gun. The way you do that is: Hold the slide firmly in your left hand, (for right handers), at about belt level & keep your left arm stiff. With your right hand, ram the grip/frame forward, like you're trying to rip it off the gun.

See if that helps.
    I've had arthritis my whole life and this is what works for me. I was taught to hold the slide tight and push the gun forward with your strong hang. Easy. When I was trying to pull it back, it was much more difficult.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast