Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 18 years old to OC? Please show me where...

First off we all KNOW it's 18 to OC and 21 to CC. What I'm asking is can anyone show me where in the law it states that?

Situation: I was hanging out at a local gun shop today with my 2 year old and since I'm an instructor I was asked about 18 to OC. It seems as though an officer from a local PD is under the impression it is illegal for the shop's 18-20 year olds to OC in public.

Now I don't want to expose the misguided officer or his department as there are good relations with them, I'd simply like to provide them with the law so no possible situations may arise with the shop employees or anyone in the public and educate them. I'd also like to have it for any questions during my Utah CFP classes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

PS-I do have a supply of PA Firearms Law books available and can provide a copy with the proper regs highlighted to the shop.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: 18 years old to OC? Please show me where...

Quote Originally Posted by steel6whiskey View Post
    First off we all KNOW it's 18 to OC and 21 to CC. What I'm asking is can anyone show me where in the law it states that?

Situation: I was hanging out at a local gun shop today with my 2 year old and since I'm an instructor I was asked about 18 to OC. It seems as though an officer from a local PD is under the impression it is illegal for the shop's 18-20 year olds to OC in public.

Now I don't want to expose the misguided officer or his department as there are good relations with them, I'd simply like to provide them with the law so no possible situations may arise with the shop employees or anyone in the public and educate them. I'd also like to have it for any questions during my Utah CFP classes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

PS-I do have a supply of PA Firearms Law books available and can provide a copy with the proper regs highlighted to the shop.
    There is no law "telling you" that you can OC. Laws tell you what you CAN'T do... no law, hence you are "allowed" (better to say "not disallowed")

The 18yo falls into the possession law. There are exceptions for under 18 too

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...earm-by-minor/

(a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.
    (b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:
    (1) who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or
    (2) who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to game).
    (c) Responsibility of adult.--Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides to the minor a firearm in violation of subsection (a) commits a felony of the third degree.
    (d) Forfeiture.--Any firearm in the possession of a person under 18 years of age in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by the arresting law enforcement officer and upon conviction or adjudication of delinquency shall be forfeited or, if stolen, returned to the lawful owner.
    You need a LTCF to carry in Phila and during a state of emergency, so that would also prevent you from OC'ing if you are under 21 (lack LTCF)

But the officer is wrong... 18+ to OC outside of above. Your response to the officer should be "If it's illegal.... show me the law". Then stand back and eat popcorn as his head starts to smoke
    Last edited by BimmerJon; June 8th, 2014 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    There is no law "telling you" that you can OC. Laws tell you what you CAN'T do... no law, hence you are "allowed".

The 18yo falls into the possession law.
    Very good! That's what I was leaning towards but I'm not schooled on it enough to tell someone that as gospel. I've gone through the law book and haven't seen anything about OC ages. I did find a sheriff's brief confirming OC at 18 that went out a while back and pointed them in that direction but that was about the only thing even close to official acknowledgement.

Thank you!

(Delaware County)

Very good! That's what I was leaning towards but I'm not schooled on it enough to tell someone that as gospel. I've gone through the law book and haven't seen anything about OC ages. I did find a sheriff's brief confirming OC at 18 that went out a while back and pointed them in that direction but that was about the only thing even close to official acknowledgement.

Thank you!
    I'll save you some time... you'll never find any legal reference to OC anywhere for PA. Nor would you find a law allowing you to walk, chew gum or sneeze.

Next time someone tells you something is illegal... just ask for the citation of law

Yes, the state of emergency thing some people have never heard of. It's now got a sticky in my law book so I can show them. I knew about that a long while back (thanks PAFOA!) and the Philly thing because of the city of the first class. Great info!

(Delaware County)

Yes, the state of emergency thing some people have never heard of. It's now got a sticky in my law book so I can show them. I knew about that a long while back (thanks PAFOA!) and the Philly thing because of the city of the first class. Great info!
    And without a LTCF..... stay at least 1000' away from school zones

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    And without a LTCF..... stay at least 1000' away from school property or buildings

FIFY
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

Remember..... regardless of having s LTCF or not, you can not drive without shoes!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Remember..... regardless of having s LTCF or not, you can not drive without shoes!
    Now you just went and ruined my day.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    I see what you did there lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast