Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Against my original opinion....

I went and rented a Glock today. Not only did I like it I also shot somewhat well with it. When I wasn't drilling the 9 or 10 ring, I was hitting low so it's not like I was all over the place. Tweaking my technique should get me closer. Bear in mind the only times I have shot a Glock in the past have been when I rented a 30 years ago and borrowing a friend's 27 at the range a couple times. Otherwise I have shot and preferred steel framed guns. Lately I have been wanting a firepower upgrade along with a capacity increase. I'd also like to rent an XD compact but those seem tougher to find. All in all I may very soon be in the G19 market.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Against my original opinion....

The glocks are pretty shooter friendly. The 19 is a fine weapon. Have you ever shot a 17? Try a gen 4 if the ones you were talking about were not.

A side note on the xd. I had one and it was quickly traded after I got a 19 gen 4. But your mileage may vary.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Lancaster County)

I have notice that many people, not necessarily you, want to dislike Glocks. Whether its the old tupperware thing, the grip angle or just the old guy at the range who says they suck Glocks have to win people over more so than others. To their credit though, they often do. Personally, if I had to "pick just one" it wouldn't be Glock but they are fine weapons just the same.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I have notice that many people, not necessarily you, want to dislike Glocks. Whether its the old tupperware thing, the grip angle or just the old guy at the range who says they suck Glocks have to win people over more so than others. To their credit though, they often do. Personally, if I had to "pick just one" it wouldn't be Glock but they are fine weapons just the same.
    I was that guy. I never bashed them. It took me twenty years and now they're my go to.

(Montgomery County)

Grab a gen III 19, it's a great gun. I've pulled off 3-4" groups standing with the factory sights at 25ish yards a few times but don't ask me to do it in front of anyone cause I'm sure I wouldn't be able to and it's reliable really hard to make the gun fuck up. Can't say I've let it go hundreds of rounds without cleaning it but you know plenty of people have with no problems, let alone thousands of rounds. Great pistol. If you find one with an OD green frame I'll trade you mine for it
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    The glocks are pretty shooter friendly. The 19 is a fine weapon. Have you ever shot a 17? Try a gen 4 if the ones you were talking about were not.

A side note on the xd. I had one and it was quickly traded after I got a 19 gen 4. But your mileage may vary.
    I 100% forgot to mention that a 17 is what I rented today. I'm sure it had about half a billion rounds through it being a rental piece but it still ran without a hitch. With how the 17 was just slightly larger than my grip I'm thinking the 19 may be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Just the look of the grip alone was enough to steer me away. But the weight does make them swing nicely and point fairly naturally.
    Quote Originally Posted by JW1914 View Post
    Grab a gen III 19, it's a great gun. I've pulled off 3-4" groups standing with the factory sights at 25ish yards a few times but don't ask me to do it in front of anyone cause I'm sure I wouldn't be able to and it's reliable really hard to make the gun fuck up. Can't say I've let it go hundreds of rounds without cleaning it but you know plenty of people have with no problems, let alone thousands of rounds. Great pistol. If you find one with an OD green frame I'll trade you mine for it
    I was mulling over a Gen III vs a IV. Is the interchangeable back straps on the IV worth it or is the III still the go to?

(Bucks County)

I think that whatever feels good in your hand and you shoot well with is the gun for you. I don't personally dislike Glocks but they've never felt that comfortable to me and I've never shot that well with them. Same with the M&P, I just plain hate the grips.

My kid loves his G26 and is a deadeye with it. When he was asking me about them, I told him that they're not for me but they are great guns. Try it out and see for yourself. He did just that and couldn't be happier with it.

I really like XD's/XDM's. They feel great in my hand and I shoot them very well.

Gun preferences are very subjective. Go with what works best for you and don't pay much attention to either the fanboys or the haters.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    I was mulling over a Gen III vs a IV. Is the interchangeable back straps on the IV worth it or is the III still the go to?
    Small issue but one to possibly consider. For me, the Gen 4 grip texture is uncomfortable as a carry gun.

(Lancaster County)

Beavertail backstraps with gen4

(Montgomery County)

The gen3 is too slippery in stock form. I tossed some granular Talon grips on my Gen3 G17 and it made all the difference. The granular grips probably aren't ideal for carry, but being as I only use my 17 as a target pistol, it's perfectly fine. If I was carrying a gen3, I would probably put on the rubberized Talons.

My other two Glocks, my 23 and 27, are gen4s. I carry the 23 daily, and the texture is just fine for EDC as long as I have an undershirt between me and the pistol.

It's worth mentioning the Talon grips, because if that didn't work as well as it did, my 17 would be in the for sale section. I feel that the standard texture of the Gen4 is that much better than the Gen3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast