Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Mitchell's mauser german k98 rifle

I don't know much about this type of rifle but have seen them advertised for sale for many years. I have thought many times about getting one in the restored condition that they sell them in.

Fore those that know about this rifle what do you think

http://www.mauser.org/rifles/hist_m48/index.htm

Default Re: Mitchell's mauser german k98 rifle

i bought one about 4 years ago and its a great rifle nice shape and a new bayo get one before they are all gone and you will not be saying i should have bought one. good luck Dan

(Luzerne County)

Over priced and over rated.

But..........for some people who want a mauser, this may be their only option.

(Allegheny County)

Mitchell's mauser's are frauds... they grind numbers off restamp them. stamp false factory markings.. ect...

(Philadelphia County)

for some people who want a mauser, this may be their only option.
    Yeah, people without the internet or google.

I saw their ad in an NRA newsletter.

"Made on German Tooling set up in formerly occupied Serbia."

aka

M24/47 Yugoslavian Mauser for $129 @ Samco
    http://www.samcoglobal.com/m24.html

(Washington County)

Get your C&R. You can get the real deal for under $250.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenningBoy View Post
    Get your C&R. You can get the real deal for under $250.
    I've been eyeballing one at Aimsurplus for $239. The ammo is a bit expensive so I wouldn't consider it a plinker or anything but if you like WWII stuff, it's a cool gun.

I've been told the 30-06 kicks a lot more than the 8mm 98K. FYI, I once read that this was Hitler's favorite gun. (Historically that's cool to me) I'm not a big Nazi supporter or anything but I find the history of it fascinating. The same goes for the Lee Enfield, Mosin Nagant, and obviously our M1 Garand.

(Lancaster County)

Agreed Mitchells are just scrubbed Yugo mausers. A huge rip-off but they are purdy! The Harrisburg gun show and York show will be a good place to browse. Brush-up on what real German mausers look like (no wood handguard behind the rear sight..things like that.) All German mausers in the sub $500 range will be Russian captured and will have shellac and electro-penciled numbers on the bolts. Generally the receiver, barrel and stock will match. One thing to look for is to make sure the small eagles w/swatikas have not been "pinged" meaning they have not been ground or "erased" by a punch. These un-pinged proofs are mostly for collector value but it's still nice to have.

(Philadelphia County)

The M48 is not a WWII rifle. As others have said, Mitchell's uses misleading, if not outright fraudulent advertising to sell their rifles. They are also marked up significantly, and have zero collector value.

If you know for a fact what you are getting when you order from them, which is a scrubbed, cleaned, and refinished M48, then by all means get it. However, if you appreciate history and value a firearm for its collector appeal, then stay away from Mitchell's Mausers.

Stand by while I find a "cut and paste" of better info written by someone else.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Garpman View Post
    The M48 is not a WWII rifle. As others have said, Mitchell's uses misleading, if not outright fraudulent advertising to sell their rifles. They are also marked up significantly, and have zero collector value.

If you know for a fact what you are getting when you order from them, which is a scrubbed, cleaned, and refinished M48, then by all means get it. However, if you appreciate history and value a firearm for its collector appeal, then stay away from Mitchell's Mausers.
    Correct!

Little tip but the "48" gives it away but the folks at Mitchell's are blatently fibbing. They state:

" A “NEW” Mauser, and it’s over 50 years old! A genuine Mauser 98K, the Model M48 is the Strongest and Best of the original bolt-action Rifles. Made on German Tooling set up in formerly occupied Serbia. "

The truth is:

"The last Mauser Rifle (not made from parts or a rebuilt) produced by Yugoslavia at the famed Kragujevac arsenal, the Model 1948 98k Short Rifle or otherwise called the Yugoslavian M48. Based in design on the German 98k Mauser and the Yugoslavian Model FN 30 and 24 Carbines and Rifles.

Yugoslavia produced quite a few of these rifles that now have been brought to the surplus market in New to Like New condition. These 8mm rifles are excellent little shooters that are well made and offer a unique opportunity to the shooter and collector to purchase a Like New variant of the very dependable and well made Mauser 98k. The M48 is a little shorter in overall length in the barrel and the overall length of the rifle in comparison to the original German 98k it is modeled after."

Source: http://www.surplusrifle.com/yugom48/index.asp

Here is the one I'm talking about.. this is what you really want if you are interested in a 98k http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/W...ser_Rifle.html

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast