Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Finally! NO thumb safety M&P Shields…..

Interesting. Not sure why all the hate with the safety. I actually bought one because in a pistol that small I felt like the safety was a nice feature. My reasoning was because it is so small, if I want to just put in my coat pocket in a hurry or in a bag or my car or something, I have that added feature. To each his own, when i carry it its iwb with the safety off. Like someone said, its not apt to be engaged on or off by accident.

BTW, I think the shield is a great little gun. Small but shoots well and doesn't feel cheap in the hand even though it wasn't really that expensive.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

The safty can be removed easily enough from the pistol if it's that big of a deal. I have been carrying one for 6 months with about 1k practice rounds through it with a lot of drawing from a cc kydex holster and destantis OWB holster and never once did I accidently enguage the safty while workig with the pistol. Personally it's a non issue with this pistol that people made into one because they couldn't find anything else wrong with the pistol.

Your last statement contradicts itself.

The safety is for chicks (or feminine males) who don't feel confident enough without one. I hate it and wished it away. My wish came true. Now that's power.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Allegheny County)

I like the shield and would have bought one if it wasn't for that pesky safety, now I will get one.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I like the shield and would have bought one if it wasn't for that pesky safety, now I will get one.
    Samesies. Throw on some warren sights and an apex trigger kit and it's good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Butler County)

Good news. I'm not sure why they didn't just do this from the beginning. The safety is the reason why I didn't buy one of these.

(Greene County)

I have a Shield that has thousands of rounds through it, I've never had a problem with the safety on mine.. I just simply don't use it, it's very slim/stiff so it would actually take some effort to engage it by accident.. I do like that it's there as my fiancé carries it mostly, and in warm weather there are times she carries it in her purse, with the safety on.. She'll train using her purse (which I personally don't prefer, but woman are woman and they're gonna wear tight fitting clothes in the summer making it impossible to conceal lol, but at least she always has it with her) and she doesn't have any problems disengaging it on her draw, so it does have some benefit for our application..

I definatly wouldn't turn down a Shield that was free of charge because it has a thumb safety.. That very well maybe the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard lol

(Allegheny County)

Smith & Wesson M&P SHIELD™ 9mm No Thumb Safety

If I had not already bought a Kahr CW9 I would be looking into this.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(York County)

I like the option of having a safety. If I'm in a public restroom then having a safety is good. I can have the safety on when I holster my gun and just flick it off once it's secure. If I find myself in a questionable area while I'm at work or have to walk through there to get from point A to point B....safety off. Whatever works for the individual.

I wouldn't turn down any "free" gun. I have a s/s shotgun with no stock and hasn't worked in 20 years. I got it for free. It's a project I'll tackle some day. Right now it rests just inside the closet door and would make a great blunt object if i ever need a blunt object. Free guns are the best guns.
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Benjamin Franklin

(Allegheny County)

S&W Shield and manual safeties - my view.

A S&W Shield with a manual safety MAY never be accidently engaged when the user does not want it to be.

A S&W Shield without a manual safety, WILL never be accidently engaged when the user does not want it to be.

As for the FREE gun issue, let me explain myself---(for those who care)
    My dad bought a Shield, took it to the range, ran a box thru it and decided that it was not for him (he likes his M&P 9C a lot more). He offered to send me the gun if I wanted it, I told him to keep it and sell it - I had no use for the S&W Shield with a manual safety.

Again, I am really looking forward to this gun actually being out and available.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast