Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Remote Buying

(Allegheny County)

Default Remote Buying

Thinking of buying a gun that is on the other side of the state (PA). I understand that the handgun will go from his FFL to my FFL and I will pay a shipping and transfer fee.

Can anyone provide some tips on how to buy a gun like this sight unseen? Any suggestions for making sure I don't get beat or make the other guy think I am trying to rip him off?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Remote Buying

Quote Originally Posted by verbious View Post
    Thinking of buying a gun that is on the other side of the state (PA). I understand that the handgun will go from his FFL to my FFL and I will pay a shipping and transfer fee.

Can anyone provide some tips on how to buy a gun like this sight unseen? Any suggestions for making sure I don't get beat or make the other guy think I am trying to rip him off?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
    Ask for an inspection period, say 3 days. Check his references. If he can't agree to these back off. If you can, pay with a credit card. (if there is a dispute they may help you) You have seen pics right? If not, request some. Compare his prices to GB or the like. If you are friendly with your FFL ask them for advice. As a seller he should make the first price offer. Good luck. I have done many of these and have never been burned. Just ask the questions and do your homework up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Ask for an inspection period, say 3 days. Check his references. If he can't agree to these back off. If you can, pay with a credit card. (if there is a dispute they may help you) You have seen pics right? If not, request some. Compare his prices to GB or the like. If you are friendly with your FFL ask them for advice. As a seller he should make the first price offer. Good luck. I have done many of these and have never been burned. Just ask the questions and do your homework up front.
    All my transactions with board members here have been face to face & have had good outcomes, but this advice sounds about as good as you can get under the circumstances. Good communication seems to be the key.

It still doesn't prevent being burned, so the old saying, "Let the buyer beware." still goes.

If we're talking about a transaction of over $500, I would probably arrange a time with the seller & just make a road trip.
    Last edited by IronButt; June 5th, 2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Addition
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Thank you for your input!!!!!!!

(Lancaster County)

I would seriously do the math on what FFL fee plus shipping is versus gas and a fun occasion for a road trip.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent