Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Anybody own a .357 sig?

I know people either love this cartridge or think it is a waste. For people who own or have owned a pistol chambered in this caliber, what is your opinion about it? I know the ballistics are impressive, and from what I have researched it's a very accurate round.

Also I did some research and the .357 sig ammo generally costs the same or a little more than a box of .40 s&w, but less than a box of .45acp. Comparing the ballistics on Speer's website (using their gold dots), the .357 sig is more powerful than all their 9mm and .40 s&w loads. It is also more powerful than all but one of their .45acp loads too. The only .45acp load that is more powerful is a 200 grain +p round, and it is only 12 ft/lbs more powerful.

I'm not sure if I want to pick up a striker fired .45acp or a Glock 32 (compact .357 sig). This pistol would be used for range and self defense. I still love my Ruger SR9c, but this pistol would be carried if I want more rounds and little more power behind the bullet.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anybody own a .357 sig?

With Sig's P226 and P229, you can swap barrels between .357 Sig and .40 S&W. Magazines are the same.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Northampton County)

I had glock in 357 sig fullsize model 31 great shooter I just don't like glocks in their stock configuration. I have a 1911 custom pistol a Fusion in 357 sig and love shooting it but 8 round capacity does not cut it for carry for me. I still enjoy shooting the crap out of it at the range. The pistol that I liked the most in that caliber was a Sig SP2022 nice carry capacity with a trigger setup that i liked , stupid me I sold that one and now wish I did not.
    If I get another pistol in this caliber it will be a CZ P06 that I will have the CZ custom shop covert to 357 sig. This caliber is like 10 mm it has a devoted fan club ,but it is never going to have the following that 9 mm 45 ACP and 40 S&W have.. I have pretty much stream lined my pistol collection to 9 mm and 45 ACP. I have never been a 40 S&W fan boy. With that said I don't have a 10 mm pistol any more either ,but I am sitting on 800 rounds of 10 mm ammo. I like these 2 oddball calibers 357 sig and 10 mm , but I too don't like the cost factor.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Tioga County)

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that as a round, it's a showstopper, at least compared to the competition out there.

But it's more expensive, puts a lot of wear and tear on a gun and if you reload, it's a pain in the butt compared to other rounds.

(Lackawanna County)

Was my post deleted ?

I have a P229 in .357 Sig. I think that it is one of the best SD rounds available. While the numbers are impressive, Numbers don't always tell the whole story when it comes to real world performance. I looked at the police agencies that are/were using this round and I happen to know a member of the RISP SWAT team. They chose the round for its superior performance, especially against barricaded suspects. Their initial thoughts, before doing any dynamic testing, was that it would probably over-penetrate. While its performance through windshields and sheetmetal was exemplary, they were surprised to find that it did not over-penetrate. In the shootings they studied, the round expended all of its energy within the target. Their duty round is the 125 gr Speer Gold Dot.

The same thing that makes it a PITA to reload (bottleneck design with short neck) helps in reducing or eliminating FTF's, making the gun more reliable.

I bought mine with my eyes wide open - I never intended to reload for it and I have a drop-in .40 S&W barrel if I choose to go with something more reloader friendly.

Great cartridge with limited uses - but as a SD round, it's hard to beat.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

I have three pistols (all 3 sizes of Glocks) chambered in it and plan to buy more. I also have .40 barrels for my pistols but they rarely get put in the gun. I reload and cast for .357sig so ammo cost is low for me.

As far as performance goes the .357sig is a good performer with many proprietary .357sig JHP designs. There really is not any "bad" jhp ammo on the market from the major manufacturers. (and a few "boutique" companies) Quite a few LE agencies large and small plus federal agencies carry the .357sig. It is an underrated cartridge IMO.

My next Glock will be a G24 (when I can find one for a decent price) with a KKM .357sig barrel. I would also like to pick up a 1911 chambered in .357sig, maybe the version Sig has out if I can find one.

If you plan to buy ammo locally just make sure it available and check prices. It is really a round that is best to bought online or better yet reload your own. However there are a few things one should know about the .357sig before starting to reload for it. Although the round is not near as difficult to reload as some people make it out to be. You treat it like any straight was pistol round, you just need to make sure you have the right profile bullet. With the right profile you can use bullets from 80gr to 180gr and commercial ammo is available in those weights too.
    Last edited by dkf; June 3rd, 2014 at 01:48 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I had a Glock 33 but ammo was hard to find and I found myself always going back to my Glock 29 to carry, so the G33 got the chopping block and I traded it off.