Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: M&P 9 vs. 45

(Chester County)

Default M&P 9 vs. 45

I'm not asking which model is better, but rather what is the difference between the two in terms of dimensions? I know the 45 is shorter because it uses a 4" barrel (at least the model I am looking at) while the 9 has a 4.25" barrel. Does the .45 have a wider grip? If so, can you provide the width of the .45 (I know the 9 has a 1.2" width). Thank you! The S&W website lacks specifications for the .45.

(Chester County)

Default Re: M&P 9 vs. 45

Wikipedia is reporting they are the same dimensions: 1.2" wide, 5.5" high, and 7.5" long.

(Centre County)

I have both M&P9 and M&P45.

my 45 is 4.5" barrel model, and 9 is standard 4.25" barrel.

Its same width(1.2"), and height(5.5").
    But grip length - in term of front to back is totally different.
    .45 model is a lot bigger than on this part. but otherwise same(grip insert interchange).
    But because of this, trigger reach of .45 model - regardless of barrel length - is slightly longer than 9mm.
    So if your cursed with small hand with shorter fingers(like I am), this is something to keep in mind.

There are also some other small difference.
    The M&P9 has undergone a series of production upgrades in the last 2 years
    Reset on 9mm - mine is December 2013 - are much more tactile than that of my .45.
    9mm's slide stop has a small metal spot welded on the area that puts pressure on the trigger bar. This is something new with M&P9(S&W updated the slide stop at least 3 times that Im aware of to remedy the none existant reset feel of the earlier M&P9. not sure about .40SW model. Detail is explained here - http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=4647 )

This update is not present on my .45model. Thus, reset feel is very vague.

M&P9 also went through several update on its barrel - changed rifling rate(from original 1:18.75” to 1:24"), and changed the shape of barrel hood to promote the tighter lock up - Original barrel on early M&P was sort of crap as far as accuracy went. Detail here - http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=159

The barrel hood on .45 model is same as original. No updated barrel hood on them. Which I assumed that's because there were no need. My .45 shoots good, and accurate. Mine shot 2.8~3.3" 10 shot group at 25 yards off a sand bag using Speer LE Gold dot 230gr ammo.
    That's damn good IMO

They both shoots great. You won't be sorry for either model. Only thing I'd consider change with 9mm model would be to replace the original extractor with Apex Tactical's failure resistant Extractor(My 9mm does have sort of weak and erratic ejection pattern)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

Mity2,

Thank you for your response! I actually all ready own the M&P 9 full sized. I replaced the internals with the Apex competition kit. I don't mind the shape of the M&P trigger so I kept that. Also my M&P 9 has the new "H" marked trigger bar so between the Apex kit and the new trigger bar, it's a really good pull. I was debating on replacing the extractor, but I think I'm going to since they're not too expensive. The only thing left I plan on doing to it is replacing the sights with an XS Big Dot sight system.

Anyways, I see a striker fired .45 in my future (had a Glock 30sf, but sold it because I hated the grip....although it was very accurate) for range and carry use. The Ruger SR45 really spiked my interests, but I wanted something with a shorter barrel. I'm not sure if they're going to release a SR45c soon, but if they do I'll jump on that. I like my M&P 9, and I wouldn't really mind carrying a M&P 45 if it comes in the same size. Right now my preference is for a SR45c, but if Ruger doesn't make one then it'll be either the SR45 or M&P 45. I have a SR9c, and I love the trigger travel and pull on it. I think the SR series are very underrated.