Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus TCP 380

Default Taurus TCP 380

I'm picking one if these up tomorrow and would like to know what you guys think of them. It's gonna be a summer time gun along with my LCR. I've heard favorable things about them but then I've heard it's still a Taurus. I've had a few Taurus handguns in the past and the only issue I had was with a squib load never with a firearm they built.
    I've had Ruger LCP and a Keltec p3at before so I'm not new to the pocket guns but how does the Taurus fair with the others out there. I do like the last round hold open but that never bothered me on the LCP either so it's hind sight.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Taurus TCP 380

I love mine.
    Way ahead of the competition.
    Larger trigger guard.
    Much smoother/lighter trigger.

It may be a Taurus but that's one gun they got right.

(Warren County)

check your magazines preferably before you bring it home. My wifes tcp was plagued with failure to feed issues. Due to the great availability of 380 ammo these days and my wife beingh inexperienced when diagnosing problems.(initially she wanted that to be her pistol she would clean and maintain it as she thought that it needed it.) it did take a little to figure out what the problem was. The magazine spring had a bit of a twist in the coils and was binding on the inside of the magazine body.

When i called taurus about getting a new magazine spring they said to send the magazine in that they could not or would not replace just parts of the magazine. I shouldn't worry though because those magazines are only back ordered through taurus for weeks. Good thing i buy magazines when i see them in stock and already have a couple spares. I was able to carefuly massage the spring nearly straight and it has fed 12 rounds of 380 problem free since.

Not having any experience with taurus though I am concerned about the wear on the feed ramp and entrance to the chanber. With less than a hundred rounds through it it appears beaten up as if a few hundred rounds have gone down the pipe. And the sights are terrible.

I wouldn't be worried about the feed ramp as the bullet is fed from the follower not the spring and on top of that the bullet is brass and lead which is softer than steel the feed ramp is made of.
    I'm getting mine used and will be putting lots of rounds through it ASAP!

(York County)

I have a CW380, my second choice would be a TCP. Both have much better triggers and less muzzle flip than the LCP and Bodyguard 380.

I was considering a M&P Bodyguard but I will look into the TCP before making my final decision. This isn't the 1st time I have heard good things about it.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I'm picking one if these up tomorrow and would like to know what you guys think of them. It's gonna be a summer time gun along with my LCR. I've heard favorable things about them but then I've heard it's still a Taurus. I've had a few Taurus handguns in the past and the only issue I had was with a squib load never with a firearm they built.
    I've had Ruger LCP and a Keltec p3at before so I'm not new to the pocket guns but how does the Taurus fair with the others out there. I do like the last round hold open but that never bothered me on the LCP either so it's hind sight.
    Mine's been great. Disappears in even shorts pocket. Never had a jam, ftf, or malfunction with any ammo including hollow point, WWB, or off brand. I've shot Winchester, S&B, Federal, Summit?, several others. About 500 rounds. It's a little snappy, but same as the Ruger. Smooth trigger. Better than the Ruger.

A friend had a problem with his not cycling, sent it in prepaid, and got it back in a week, working perfectly.

(Northampton County)

Speaking of ammo.

Mine doesn't like steel cases.

Although my dad's does.

Ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    Speaking of ammo.

Mine doesn't like steel cases.

Although my dad's does.

Ymmv
    I've heard that. I know the guy I'm getting it from and he told me it doesn't like steel case stuff but I don't care cause I never shoot it.

So after getting it home and spraying it down with mpro7 cleaner I gave it a good frog lube treatment. I prolly pulled out 3-4ozs of lint and I was getting some rust color on the rag and patches.
    Went to the range today and put 56 rounds of HP ammo through it and it was flawless. I was soothing 6-7 yds on a silouette target and was hitting 2-3" groups at the head without much effort. I gotta say I'm pretty happy about it. It's more comfortable to shoot than the LCP and Keltec but still after 56 rounds my hand started to feel it some.
    All in all I think it was a good buy for when it's 90+ degrees out. I got some CorBon DPX rounds for it and am happier with it than my previous LCP I had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast