Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default can any arm chair lawyers clear up some things? ( real lawyers and LEO welcome :) )

having a discussion with two people who I highly respect, some information came about that I felt was inaccurate. both these people are part of a town watch, ex military ( honorable discharge) and well versed in ccw law. both over 50 as well. they said that
    1. open carry is illegal for any one who has a valid LTCF.
    2. CC of a fixed blade knife is illegal if it is bigger than 4 in,
    3. if confronted with a person who is wielding a knife, and I shoot them I WILL go to jail no matter what, in other words, I need to meet the level of force I am confronted with.

I did a little goggling and I can find nothing supporting this, I am talking completely illegal not uneducated officer deciding it is illegal.
    for example, question 1. I am jogging day time public street, open carry hand gun cop stops me looks at my firearm sees I have LTCF and I get arrested. because I am open carrying and have my LTCF.
    ex 2. I am carrying a 5 in knife iwb, jogging day time public street ( we will assume local laws do not apply) same as before cop stops me and arrest me for having a large fixed blade knife on me.
    ex 3. angry person yells and starts cursing unintelligibly, pulls a knife and charges at me, I draw my gun and shoot, killing him. am I in legal trouble?
    ex 3 A what If I could have escaped?

thanks in advance, any farther question on details I will provide if needed, but I left this a little ambulations intentional

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: can any arm chair lawyers clear up some things? ( real lawyers and LEO welcome :)

Those people are morons. IANAL
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: can any arm chair lawyers clear up some things? ( real lawyers and LEO welcome :)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    ^^ This ^^

They're not as well versed as they think they are.

1) Are you no longer allowed to walk or ride a bike once you have your driver's license?

2) There are no state wide knife laws, but there is a knife law in Philthy.

3) If confronted with a knife, or any other deadly weapon you may meet force with force.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Erie County)

Please stop talking to the 8th and 9th moose from the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    ^^ This ^^

They're not as well versed as they think they are.

1) Are you no longer allowed to walk or ride a bike once you have your driver's license?

2) There are no state wide knife laws, but there is a knife law in Philthy.

3) If confronted with a knife, or any other deadly weapon you may meet force with force.
    That there pretty much sums things up.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Were these people allowed out on their own? "Well versed in ccw law"??????

Seriously, I will never understand people who profess knowledge on a subject and really have no clue. These people know ZERO about actual law. Saying "I don't know" is ok, it's how we learn.
    Last edited by Rblakely; June 1st, 2014 at 03:45 PM.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
    1. open carry is illegal for any one who has a valid LTCF.
    2. CC of a fixed blade knife is illegal if it is bigger than 4 in,
    3. if confronted with a person who is wielding a knife, and I shoot them I WILL go to jail no matter what, in other words, I need to meet the level of force I am confronted with.

15 year LEO here;

1) Absolutely not!!!!!

2) Absolutely not, however some municipalities may have ordinances against knives. There is no state law.

3) As long as you are defending yourself, the use of deadly force is justified. The aggressor can be using a knife, hammer, big rock, golf club, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    3) As long as you are defending yourself, the use of deadly force is justified. The aggressor can be using a knife, hammer, big rock, golf club, etc.
    Even a pointed stick!

(Monty Python reference)

(Luzerne County)

Highly respected morons.

Wrong on all accounts.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    15 year LEO here;

1) Absolutely not!!!!!

2) Absolutely not, however some municipalities may have ordinances against knives. There is no state law.

Although it s generally not a good idea to obtain legal advice from a LOE....

It would take extreme nitpicking to find anything incorrect.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast