Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: can any arm chair lawyers clear up some things? ( real lawyers and LEO welcome :)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post

You're still allowed to stay home and watch "American Idol".
    Hey now!!! I like "American Idol" !!!

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: can any arm chair lawyers clear up some things? ( real lawyers and LEO welcome :)

Quote Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
    this is what I thought, to be fair they have been right on many more accounts, then these three they are wrong on, and even though they are wrong, I still give them credit for the other information I have revived that I have found to be valid. thanks for clearing this up guys,
    With those guys being so far off base on three basic questions I wouldn't trust anything they ever told me.

You know the laws right? If so, then who cares what anyone "thinks" the law is. Smile and walk away. And do not assume that people in the military or police officers know anything about guns or laws. The majority most likely do not.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    15 year LEO here;

2) Absolutely not, however some municipalities may have ordinances against knives. There is no state law.
    10+ years as a Police Officer in PA. Here (PA), what makes a knife illegal is the manner in which it opens. That means fully automatic knives are not legal (with a few exceptions). Do not confuse this with and assisted-opening knives, they are legal. Blade size doesn't matter either. All of this is not withstanding any local ordinances regarding size, blade length, etc.
    «D.C.» LEO * Expert Pistol * Be Aware of Your Surroundings!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
    having a discussion with two people who I highly respect, some information came about that I felt was inaccurate. both these people are part of a town watch, ex military ( honorable discharge) and well versed in ccw law. both over 50 as well. they said that
    1. open carry is illegal for any one who has a valid LTCF.
    2. CC of a fixed blade knife is illegal if it is bigger than 4 in,
    3. if confronted with a person who is wielding a knife, and I shoot them I WILL go to jail no matter what, in other words, I need to meet the level of force I am confronted with.

I did a little goggling and I can find nothing supporting this, I am talking completely illegal not uneducated officer deciding it is illegal.
    for example, question 1. I am jogging day time public street, open carry hand gun cop stops me looks at my firearm sees I have LTCF and I get arrested. because I am open carrying and have my LTCF.
    ex 2. I am carrying a 5 in knife iwb, jogging day time public street ( we will assume local laws do not apply) same as before cop stops me and arrest me for having a large fixed blade knife on me.
    ex 3. angry person yells and starts cursing unintelligibly, pulls a knife and charges at me, I draw my gun and shoot, killing him. am I in legal trouble?
    ex 3 A what If I could have escaped?

thanks in advance, any farther question on details I will provide if needed, but I left this a little ambulations intentional
    To your friends that think that OC is illegal with a LTCF, have them read this.

http://www.lildobe.net/PAFOA_Docs/MP...pdate_2009.pdf

It especially scares me that they're part of neighborhood watch... So are they saying they are going to try to detain me if I try to OC in their neighborhood. I hope they also understand that just because they are neighborhood watch and former military doesn't mean they have any authority to demand identification.

Also, check out Massad Ayoob. He's got a bunch of info regarding use of deadly force in an encounter. He's been an expert witness in countless cases and, while his information will never be sound legal advice from a lawyer, it's definitely a good step in the right direction.

Hope this helps!
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by P1620 View Post
    10+ years as a Police Officer in PA. Here (PA), what makes a knife illegal is the manner in which it opens. That means fully automatic knives are not legal (with a few exceptions). Do not confuse this with and assisted-opening knives, they are legal. Blade size doesn't matter either. All of this is not withstanding any local ordinances regarding size, blade length, etc.
    As Steve has stated, each municipality can regulate the carry of a knife independently from the sate or even its neighboring town.

But you could provide a statute that might prove this wrong if you wish.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by elweasel View Post
    Every time you mention bicycle and motorcycle, I keep asking myself. What is the differences between a motorbike and a pedal bike. If I OC and jump on a bike and ride without a ltcf, Am I breaking the law like if I did that on a motorbike? Would the firearm have to be on my person, or could I mount it on the bicycle? Thanks

On your marks get set go...
    The UFA uses the following definition for what constitutes a vehicle:

1 Pa CS § 1991. Definitions.

The following words and phrases, when used in any statute finally enacted on or after September 1, 1937, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, shall have the meanings given to them in this section:
    "Vehicle." A conveyance in or on which persons or property may be carried.
    motorcycle = vehicle = bicycle. The UFA applies equally to both.
    IANAL

(Indiana County)

"Vehicle." A conveyance in or on which persons or property may be carried.
    Car
    Truck
    Motorcycle
    Wagon/Buggy, horse/dog/goat-drawn
    Unicycle/Bicycle/Tricycle
    Skateboard
    Horse
    Scooter
    Baby Carriage/Buggy ("perambulator")
    Shopping Cart
    Roller Skates
    Lawn/Garden Riding Mower
    All-Terrain Vehicle
    Any motorized construction vehicle (backhoe, front end loader, bulldozer, etc.)
    Farm Tractor
    Boat/Raft (motorized or not)
    Surfboard/Boogyboard
    Aircraft (heavier-than-air or lighter-than-air, rotary wing or fixed wing)
    Submarine
    TARDIS

(Dauphin County)

Every time you mention bicycle and motorcycle, I keep asking myself. What is the differences between a motorbike and a pedal bike. If I OC and jump on a bike and ride without a ltcf, Am I breaking the law like if I did that on a motorbike? Would the firearm have to be on my person, or could I mount it on the bicycle? Thanks
    Déjà vu.

If you use the logic that a bicycle and motorbike are same. I asked about mounting a holster on my bicycle. I was told sure legal with a ltcf same as a motorbike. For now I ride with it in my jersey back pocket. But the outline shows thru, thanks lyrca.
    Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Not sure what you're saying. A bicycle and a motorbike are the same thing for this purpose, they're both vehicles.

It's legal to mount a holster on anything.

But you need a license (or to meet an enumerated exception) to carry a firearm in that holster if the "anything" is a vehicle, including a bike.
    _________
    Edited just to be very clear, since you keep expressing uncertainty about this:
    If I OC and jump on a bike and ride without a ltcf, Am I breaking the law like if I did that on a motorbike?
    Yes. If your form and manner of carry would be unlawful on a motorcycle then they also would be unlawful on a bicycle.

You need to hold a license to carry — or meet an enumerated exception under §6106(b) — to legally carry a "firearm" (which essentially means a pistol, SBR, or SBS for this purpose) on a bicycle outside your "place of abode or fixed place of business".
    Last edited by twency; June 2nd, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    TARDIS
    HA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast