Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When will PA police "get" open carry like the police in Virginia? **Audio file**

If PA is like the other states where open carry has caught on, it will be very very soon in most localities - and only a very few loser Police Departments will still be flat footed.

Listen at http://tinyurl.com/6dvg5d to this Richmond, VA police Sergeant discuss a recent police response to a man with a gun on a bus in downtown urban Richmond - he emphasizes the idea that police are more concerned with unlawful concealed carry.

Now SGT says somthing weird about loaded long guns not allowed in the city - not sure what that is about - never heard of that restriction. He was asked about off limits areas and said he was not too sure of all the restrictions - he opined incorrectly that parks were off limits.

But SGT also said open carry is getting more common in Richmond and the police support the Second Amendment.

Full article at http://wrva.com/cc-common/news/secti...rticle=3820251

I think everybody should do their part and try to open carry somewhere publicly at least once per week!
    Last edited by Mike; June 12th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default Re: When will PA police "get" open carry like the police in Virginia? **Audio file**

Well at least one local officer knows about OC, but he still doesn't "get" it, from what he told me, so not sure how well OC would be recieved if more commonly done in southern York county Shrewsbury/Stewartstown etc.

I'm not going to be the solo test subject, but am willing to do an OC gathering with others to include some more experienced OCers. Gettysburg was nice, and I was relieved no police came rolling up. But after talking to this officer and seeing his attitude for his territory, I am not sure if the response might be pleasant in the Shrewsbury etc area, unless it is just him that doesn't like it, but what if he comes to the call if one is made? He'd probably remember me too!

Does anyone know if a man was actually OCing at the Shrewsbury carnival sometime in recent years or last year? This officer told me that they made him leave under threat of a disorderly conduct charge. The man was said to be wearing a .357 in a shoulder holster, and when asked why he was OCing, he said it was his 2A right and it was legal to do it.

I will readily admit I have always been afraid of the police, seems some irrational phobia type thing. Quite silly considering I haven't had any negative encounters with any so far.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Default Re: When will PA police "get" open carry like the police in Virginia? **Audio file**

I wonder in PA seeing you can not carry in a vehicle how this would have gone.

Is there a Vehicle = concealed law in VA
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    I wonder in PA seeing you can not carry in a vehicle how this would have gone.

Is there a Vehicle = concealed law in VA
    No, and neither is there one in PA. In PA, while "carrying" a gun in a vehicle, one must have a LTCF or any gun carry license from any state, even if not normally accepted for PA concealed carry.

(York County)

I've talked to a few LEOs in york city and they seem to take it on a case by case basis. IF your OC'ing and not looking creepy or acting suspiscious then all is well. The guys out in the county on the other hand seem to follow the York Co Sherrif's idea as to OC. It's a neusance and we are causing a disturbance and should therefore have our LTCF revoked. Says so right on the app if I'm not mistaken.

Dave
    3%

(Luzerne County)

Doing a legal act (open carry) is NOT a nuisance and is NOT causing a disturbance. Any sheriff who revokes a LTC based on that needs to be booted from office.

York county needs a test case?

How else to change the thinking?

????????
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Lancaster County)

I open carry in York all the time. So far no problems. Then again I never had a police run in while carrying there either.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post

I will readily admit I have always been afraid of the police, seems some irrational phobia type thing. Quite silly considering I haven't had any negative encounters with any so far.
    I'm in bucks county... my friends from jersey seem to have that phobia, but then again we are talking about the people's republic of new jersey. I fear the jersey police, but I wave hello to my local police, go up to them and ask them how they are doing whiule i'm ocing, ask them how their day is. ask them if there are any "genius" calls for them. one guy told me some lady called him up saying that her refrigerator was talking to her... ROTFL!
    talk to your local cops.

anyways, it's nice to hear that a cop knows the law on the radio.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

I guess living in MD has something to do with my irrational fear LOL

BTW I have met some S York county cops other than the 1 doing the fingerprinting for the FL ccw. Plus this guy even seemed a decent fellow except his attitude about OC. The other times were over some lady calling in I had a human skull in my yard ( was a deer skull LOL), and when I was kicking this guy out of my house, the guy called the cops because I owned a gun and he was being an ass. Cop 1 was amused and was very nice, the 2nd one was more like rolling his eyes for such a stupid call, and was also nice.

However I will also state my 1st and only traffic ticket was from a S York county cop, I didn't like his attitude too much, he was young, probably a rookie trying to look tough-guy.

I have also met some Balto co cops, 1 was on duty and very nice, another scared the beejeezus out of me coming in his patrol car to drop a fox skin off for tanning LOL, the other was off duty and shot a fox in 1 of my traps and pissed me off when he never came through with a replacment as he had promised, after he said he was sorry, didn't know it was in a trap as it was dark. He would not admit to shooting the fox that was also missing from the 2nd nearby trap. My trapline CSI skills are excellent LOL. He and his cop buddies later got kicked off that same farm for being jackasses while deer hunting.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast