Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Kimber Solo. Good choice?

I am looking at a Kimber Solo Carry at my local gun shop and I think I am going to get it.

It really fits my hand and the trigger is really smooth.

I am concern at little about some of the reviews I read on line with the ammo needed to make it work reliably.

I know " get a Khar pm9" or a Ruger LC9. But I owned 3 PM9 and had to sell them because the trigger pinched my finger. I don't do Rugers.

I also considered the Sig P290 and P938. I love sigs but I am looking for a pocket gun and a single action sort of makes me uncomfortable. The P290 is still on my mind.

Anyone owns a Solo and wants to share some feedback?

Any other model that I should consider?

Thanks.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Kimber Solo. Good choice?

I posted a response to a similar question about a month ago (see link below). I have since shot it in another match, plus a lot of additional rounds. For several months I have been reloading using 115gr lead round nose bullets and getting about 950fps. This is to be lighter than factory just for range shooting.

A local gun shop had them on sell last weekend for $599 and I almost bought another one just because I didn't have two!

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/25...ml#post2719493

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    I am looking at a Kimber Solo Carry at my local gun shop and I think I am going to get it.

It really fits my hand and the trigger is really smooth.

I am concern at little about some of the reviews I read on line with the ammo needed to make it work reliably.

I know " get a Khar pm9" or a Ruger LC9. But I owned 3 PM9 and had to sell them because the trigger pinched my finger. I don't do Rugers.

I also considered the Sig P290 and P938. I love sigs but I am looking for a pocket gun and a single action sort of makes me uncomfortable. The P290 is still on my mind.

Anyone owns a Solo and wants to share some feedback?

Any other model that I should consider?

Thanks.
    I have the Sig p938, and I feel safer with that than with a Glock-style trigger.

For a p938 to fire, two things have to happen: 1). The safety must be switched off (and it's a very sturdy safety); 2). The trigger must be pulled.

You're never going to shoot yourself in the foot because your p938 trigger got caught in your shirt while re-holstering.

Having said that, my all-time favorite pocket carry gun is the M&P340.

It's only five rounds, but five rounds of .357 Magnum.

It's never going to jam.

And it is absurdly light--14.9 ounces fully loaded, if my kitchen scale is correct. My p938 is 20.4 ounces fully loaded. In my pocket, the revolver looks less like a gun that any of my pistols.

(Centre County)

Im was sort of looking at one too. Stainless one.

Beautifully made weapon, but seems that it can have hit/miss with reliability.
    Some swears by it, and some can't get rid of it fast enough.

Seems that Kimber olo almost requires you to use 124 or 147gr ammo, and it doesn't run too well with 115gr.

I don't like when manufacture tells me what ammo I need to use for any gun to run good. So Never mind that.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Bucks County)

When I'm looking for a good review of any gun, my first stop is to see if Hickok45 has covered it. His video review of the Kimber Solo Carry can be found HERE.

He definitely notes the ammo restrictions, and having malfunctions with 115 grain ammo.

Regards,

BCB
    You don't need a gun until you need one badly.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you for your feedback. I actual did see the Hickok45 video and he doesn't seem to like it too much but it doesn't say to not get it either.

The P938 is a beautiful gun and you are right about the safety and trigger pull, I guess its just a mental thing.

I called Kings and told them I will pick it up this weekend. I hope mine is one of the good ones.

I will have to try it with the recommended ammo and then maybe some lighter loads to see if they work.

I dont get the logic in buying a carry gun that is does not allow for 115gr rounds, for carry that is fine to get 124 gr or higher however when it comes to practice the shelves at the local shops and online dont allow for a lot of choices when it comes to cheaper 9mm the majority is going to be 115gr and the pistol has proven itself to be unreliable with that.

I love Kimber but this pistol was a failure as far as I am concerned, want a combat like single stack get a Shield, there is no comparison to reliability. I am interested to see how it treats you after a few hundred rounds so please update.

(Montgomery County)

Well I am a strong believer to train with whatever your carry anyway, and I do tend to carry heavy loads so that wont be much of a problem for me.

I am more concern with the reliability factor with heavy loads also. I read that some of this guns do have issues even with the recommended loads.

I did have a shield I got rid of as fast as I could. It was not a quality issue as much as a fit issue.

I will update after I get to shoot it a couple hundred rounds. I already placed an order for 147 gr. ammo and as soon as it arrives I'll give it a shot.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    Well I am a strong believer to train with whatever your carry anyway, and I do tend to carry heavy loads so that wont be much of a problem for me.

I am more concern with the reliability factor with heavy loads also. I read that some of this guns do have issues even with the recommended loads.

I did have a shield I got rid of as fast as I could. It was not a quality issue as much as a fit issue.

I will update after I get to shoot it a couple hundred rounds. I already placed an order for 147 gr. ammo and as soon as it arrives I'll give it a shot.
    Probably a smart approach, but I take opposite tack. At casual range shoots I feed my pistols the cheapest ammo I can find--Tula Brass, blazer aluminum, and exec this Brand X I got from California. Even then, hiccups are infrequent, but when they happen, you get important practice rectifyingthem, along w a reminder that tthis could happen when you least expect it.

(Dauphin County)

BadAtScreennames:

You referenced Glock style triggers in regards to a Kimber Solo question. Were you thinking that the Solo has a Glock style trigger?

Also you were concerned about catching the trigger while reholstering. Are you aware that the Solo has a thumb safety similar in operation and location to the 1911 style pistols?

Others:

Regarding the 115gr ammo, as mentioned in my previous posts I have been using 115gr LRN bullets and have also used standard 115gr WWB ammo with no problems. Over a thousand rounds through the pistol with no problems.

comsubin61:

You should enjoy the new pistol and maybe even more with the extended magazines. I have four extended magazines (8 rounds) and one flush magazine (6 rounds). For range shooting I definitely recommend the extended ones and have used both for carry.

Check out the Garrett holsters:

Silent Thunder Fusion RH Black/Natural Kimber Solo Carry
    http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-fusion/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast