Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default PA->OH->MI Travel questions

I'm going to be travelling from PA through Ohio (no stops not directly related to travel) to Michigan. I am a PA resident with a PA CCW permit and I CC everywhere I go in PA that's legal. I've been doing some research about OH, MI, and Federal laws so I can avoid any problems in my trip. Here's what I've found so far:
    • Can't CC in OH
    • Can CC in MI
    • Reviewed MI's places firearms are prohibited (bars is one PA doesn't have)
    • Reviewed Federal Interstate Transport legislation § 926A and will be keeping a copy in the car along with a copy of my pistol purchase paperwork.
    • MI has duty to inform if in an interaction with police and based on some cases I reviewed can only fully satisfy this without issue if you inform prior to the officer asking or in some cases beginning a conversation at all.
    • I will be stopping just prior to crossing the PA/OH line, unloading my pistol, placing it in a locked box, placing the loaded magazine in a separate box and placing both in the trunk, then continuing. When I cross into MI I will reverse the process.

I'm unsure about/can't find good documentation about the following:
    • Does law in MI require surrender (even if temporary) of your firearm in a police encounter regardless of the circumstances? Do you have the right to demand a receipt?
    • For my safety and that of the officer and nearby people, would I be allowed to clear my own firearm in the case of the previous point?
    • In MI do I have the same right to end an encounter as I do in PA if I'm not being detained by simply asking if I'm free to go?
    • If they were to unlawfully confiscate my firearm when I was breaking no laws does anyone here have experience with getting their firearm back from a state in which they are not a resident?

Thanks in advance to anyone helping me out here!
    Last edited by hvymetal86; June 2nd, 2014 at 08:53 AM.

Default Re: PA->OH->MI Travel questions

I am sorry I can't answer your questions but I can assure you that even though Ohio issues permits for concealed carry, in comparison to PA and DE, OH is decidedly anti-gun.

I would treat transporting a handgun through Ohio, without a reciprocal agreement, to transporting a handgun through Maryland.

(Lackawanna County)

It may be too late for this trip, but if you get a non-resident Utah carry permit. Utah has reciprocity with Ohio.

Just a thought for next time.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I am sorry I can't answer your questions but I can assure you that even though Ohio issues permits for concealed carry, in comparison to PA and DE, OH is decidedly anti-gun.

I would treat transporting a handgun through Ohio, without a reciprocal agreement, to transporting a handgun through Maryland.
    Thank you for the heads up about the attitude. I don't think I want to walk the thin line then of maybe being able to OC in OH at a rest stop before storing it in the trunk again.

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    It may be too late for this trip, but if you get a non-resident Utah carry permit. Utah has reciprocity with Ohio.

Just a thought for next time.
    I hadn't thought of this, but you're right that it is too late for this trip. Already found a class to get the Utah permit though. Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

OH has a duty to inform if you are carrying. I am not sure if there is one when simply transporting an unloaded and secure firearm.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

You might want to think about placing a loaded mag in a locked box, even if it is separate from the handgun. If you dont have a Permit/License to CC in Ohio you can't have a loaded mag anywhere in the car if you also have a handgun in said car. Section K paragraph (a) gives you the definition of unloaded firearm in Ohio.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16