Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Question on shooting left

Hey guys. I am having an issue with my glock 19 with XS sights. I was out shooting it yesterday and at 25 yds I was shooting steel 8" milk jug poppers set up on a rack. After hitting them very well with my new Ruger mk2 and my Ruger LCR I decided it was time to shoot the glock. Well after I didn't hit very well I decided to figure it out instead of wasting more ammo... I know... All this and no college!
    But I was aiming about an inch or two off the plate to the right when they finally started to fall. I checked my sight to see if it moved and it was secure and right in the middle. I also know these aren't target sights but I should be able to put the dot on my target and hit it. Any ideas on how to improve what I feel is probably an easy fix but I don't know what to fix. I have a good grip on it and proper trigger press and no flinch but I shit a whole bunch if dirt. I am left eye dominant and right hand shooter if that matters.
    I had this issue with smaller guns like my XDs and a glock 26 which is why I stick with the 19 I feel I have a better handle on it.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Question on shooting left

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I was aiming about an inch or two off the plate to the right when they finally started to fall. I checked my sight to see if it moved and it was secure and right in the middle. I also know these aren't target sights but I should be able to put the dot on my target and hit it. Any ideas on how to improve what I feel is probably an easy fix but I don't know what to fix. I have a good grip on it and proper trigger press and no flinch but I shit a whole bunch if dirt. I am left eye dominant and right hand shooter if that matters.
    Check out this chart. I don't believe eye dominance is the issue, unless, you are shooting with both eyes open.

Stand by for lots of expert advice to come...

Oh and I find your avatar pic very distracting... in a good kind of way.

Last edited by JAKIII; May 27th, 2014 at 08:44 PM.

I noticed with my Glocks if I touch the frame with too much of my thumb (especially the one on my left hand) I would pull left. Since I point my thumbs away from the frame more. I also don't wrap my left index finger around the trigger guard like some guys do, I found it throws me off.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Check out this chart. I don't believe eye dominance is the issue, unless, you are shooting with both eyes open.

Stand by for lots of expert advice to come...

Oh and I find your avatar pic very distracting... in a good kind of way.

I don't really think this is the issues I'm having cause I pick up another pistol or revolver and shoot fine with them. It seems to be only happening with my glock. The chart indicates I have too little trigger finger but I have even gone as far as to change the way I grip it to get more trigger finger in there and it makes no difference. But who knows maybe this is the issue.

I only shoot both eyes open

(Philadelphia County)

Why would both eyes open change poi?

I ask this as a cross dominant shooter who also has issues with a g19 and hitting left
    interested in a cz kadet kit, if anyone's selling

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by shrewd View Post
    Why would both eyes open change poi?
    Agree... probably not the cause, since Klutch says it only occurs with the Glock (1 out of 3 pistols).

Shrewed-I don't think it does. Personally I feel it's my grip. Maybe the grip is too larger for me that's really what I'm trying to figure out. I need advice cause someone has to have something to offer I haven't thought of or tried.
    It frustrating cause I've tried to correct it but it seem ls to be fairly consistent.
    Last edited by *Klutch*; May 27th, 2014 at 10:15 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Glocks are a little different compared to some other guns. Try putting a little more finger on the trigger. Best way to find out if your pulling the trigger straight is to dry fire the gun, then after it goes off keep pulling on the trigger and see if your sight moves. It should not move left or right, if it does adjust your finger until you can pull without moving the sight. This should help you keep shots centered.

(Bucks County)

I also believe that this is a trigger finger placement issue. When I shoot any kind of hammer fired gun (and especially those with an enhanced or match grade trigger), I find that centering the pad of my finger on the trigger is a good placement for me, given the relatively light trigger pull and clean break. When I shoot striker fired guns, I pretty much always have to place my finger so the trigger is right in the fold of the first joint of my finger in order to not shoot left. In the end, I sold all my striker fired guns because I had to think about finger placement too much when switching between the two types. Please note that I am not suggesting you sell your striker fired guns, this was my personal decision. Just pointing out that finger placement is not some kind of myth…it's well established that finger placement will be different for different guns based on things like pull length, break point, pull weight, etc. I've been shooting with others who've asked me why they are shooting left and I always advise them to use more finger. Nine times out of ten this solves the problem for them. It's easy enough for you to try next time you're out on the range, and if that doesn't help you, then you can always try something else.

THIS ARTICLE explains it far better than I ever could.

Regards,

BCB
    Last edited by BucksCountyBob; May 28th, 2014 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Added link to article on trigger finger placement
    You don't need a gun until you need one badly.

(Bucks County)

As others have noted here, and places like pistolforum.com, the Glock trigger can be challenging.

For me, I found that two things help: find (by trial and error dry firing, ideally with a laser or red dot sight) the position of the trigger finger that doesn't jerk the gun when fired. Second, get a better grip - I get the heel of my left hand tight against the right hand so the gun can't twist. Also, the left thumb along the frame pointed toward the target helps to prevent barrel movement.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast