Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: H & R Sportsman

(Bucks County)

Default H & R Sportsman

I need some feedback regarding the suitability of this revolver for learning to shoot. This is a .22 LR, 9-shot, top break revolver. I'm not sure how old it is but it appears to be in excellent condition. Anyone know anything about this pistol? Thanks.

Default Re: H & R Sportsman

It should be fine for basic pistol shooting. H&R quality became spotty after the 1960s, so you might find yourself reaching for a higher end pistol as you and your students accumulate skill.

I suspect you're looking at a model 199 or 999 (vent rib barrel). Production stopped around 1985, so that makes it at least 22 years old. Niether have much collector value.

If you're considering this H&R as a purchase, there are more suitable pistols for not much more than what most H&R pistols sell for. That said, I'd pass and look for a Ruger Mk II, or something similar.

I agree with the previous poster. My friend and his dad both have H&R 9 shot revolvers. Actually, one of those was the first revolver i had ever fired. It would be a great gun to learn on. +1 on the Ruger Semi as well, but if you are interested in revolvers, try out a Ruger Single Six. A little more money, but it will last you a life time. Good luck shooting. Stay safe.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

Thanks for your feedback. There are no 'model' markings, just H & R "Sportsman", "Double-Action" on the non-vent/ ribbed barrel. N178 on inside of grip.
    In any event, I'm glad to know it's appropriate for what I intend at this point. Thanks again!

(Montgomery County)

Big fan of the H&R 999 myself. Mine was the first pistol my father ever owned as a boy (back when boys could own pistols). Great shooting little pistol but pain to get spare parts for.

For longevity, you may want to look into a newer .22 revolver as parts are going to be much easier to obtain.

(Washington County)

I have a whole collection of H&R pistols, but the Sportsman isn't one of them! They're decent pistols, but not the most accurate pieces around. The lockup on the cylinder isn't real tight. My first handgun was an H&R 949, still have it. If the price is right, there's no reason to pass it up, but there are many others that would fit your need as well.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Bucks County)

Thanks to all. I think I know where this revolver fits now. I'm amazed at the amount of knowledge floating around on this forum. Much appreciated!

(York County)

Man. This was the 1st thing to pop up on Google, can't believe that but oh well. I have just come across one of these myself. I have a H & R Sportsman without a vented bbl. So what mdl# is this,and how do I find out how old this pistol is. I know its no collectible, you can tell that by looking at it, but still I'm curious. Thanks in advance.

Dave
    3%

(Bucks County)

Dave,

Sorry, ended up selling the H&R .22 Sportsman based on some of the feedback I got on this thread and will look at some of the other recommendations for target shooting.

tmackpa