Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sig 1911 question

As per my other posts, I just bought a new Sig 1911 Scorpion Carry.

I cleaned it and took it to the range. Only using the factory mags, I went through 100 rounds of 230 gr. ball ammo (Fiocchi and American eagle).

Here's my question to 1911 sages:

Out of the 100 rounds, I had one double feed. I also had 2 failures to go into battery, but I think I was being too easy on the slide (this is from my habit of 'easing' the slide down on an empty chamber).

I heard that the Sig 1911 mags are sub-par. So after my range session, I picked up two Wilson Combat mags. Next time I get to the range I'll test these.

At this point, should I be alarmed? Does the Sig need to go back to the factory, or should I expect this to be a fluke that should be remedied by the new Wilson mags?

Anyone with experience / wisdom/ advice on this, I'd appreciate some advice.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sig 1911 question

I have over 600 rounds through my Sig 1911 ultra nitron mags without one single issue...

I have the same Sig as you do and have not had any problems with it or the factory mags. Mine will chamber fired cases out of the magazine something that normally is only seen in custom tuned 1911's.
    Are you pulling the slide full back and dropping it? The 1911 was not designed to be treated with kid gloves. The other primary cause of feed problems is limp wrist or not supporting the gun while in recoil.
    If you have not shot a .45 in 1911 there is sometimes a learning curve. Shoot the hell out of it and see if you and her can arrive at a relationship.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    I have the same Sig as you do and have not had any problems with it or the factory mags. Mine will chamber fired cases out of the magazine something that normally is only seen in custom tuned 1911's.
    Are you pulling the slide full back and dropping it? The 1911 was not designed to be treated with kid gloves. The other primary cause of feed problems is limp wrist or not supporting the gun while in recoil.
    If you have not shot a .45 in 1911 there is sometimes a learning curve. Shoot the hell out of it and see if you and her can arrive at a relationship.
    Thank you for the input. I have shot 1911s before, but this one is my first to own.

I suspect the battery issues are from me not sling-shorting hard enough.

The one feed problem is my real concern. After thinking on it, I think it was a failure to feed, and not necessarily a double feed. I made it double feed when I tapped and racked it.

I'd like this to be a defense pistol; so I really hope she can be dependable In that role.

I have a full size SIG Scorpion....and the only issue i've had was with ammo with a shorter OAL. Still in spec, but shorter than normal.

I have SIG, Wilson and ChipMc mags.....no issues with any of them thus far.

(Delaware County)

Oil her up nice and run her fairly wet for the first few hundred rounds: the tolerances are so tight compared to the original design (or something like that).

Sig mags shouldn't be problematic, though; they're usually quite well made.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalReaper View Post
    Oil her up nice and run her fairly wet for the first few hundred rounds: the tolerances are so tight compared to the original design (or something like that).

Sig mags shouldn't be problematic, though; they're usually quite well made.
    This.

I run the Wilson mags just because I prefer the quality. Run it for another couple of hundred rounds and see if you have any more issues. You're in the break in period right now. My sig is working great.

Thanks to all for the information and advice.

This is my first 1911. I've owned auto loaders in the past, and mostly shoot revolvers up until now.

I've read a few things about handling the 1911--cleaning, lubing, and shooting with the proper grip. (I've even avoided the so-called 'idiot scratch')

I've also come to understand that getting a quality 1911 to run perfectly CAN require some effort.

I'm guessing that since the gun wasn't FTF every magazine, and did it once in 100 rounds, it's probably something that needs to be 'broken in'.

I've had zero problems with my sig 1911 fastback carry witht he sig mags.

(Lancaster County)

I bought a SIG 1911 STX used so someone else did the break in for me. It eats up anything I put through it. Get a hold of some snap caps and cycle it a lot a home. You may want to load up the mags full and let them sit before you shoot again, just to get some tension out of the springs. That helped a lot with some of my other SIGs.

Mine came with a couple of Kimber mags. Stay away from them. The SIG did not like them at all. I have 4 SIG factory mags now and all of them are perfect. If it rotates, oil it. If it slides, grease it. Enjoy a great firearm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast