Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Charges likely for grandmother in Sam's Club shooting

Fortunately it looks like the child will be okay.

On another note will this be cause for WalMart/Sam's to reevaluate their corporate policy on firearms in their stores?

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8451232

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Authorities say a four-year-old girl from Salley is recovering after she grabbed a gun out of her grandmother's purse and shot herself in the Harbison Blvd. Sam's Club Monday.

Now police say her grandmother may face charges.

A family member tells WIS News 10 the girl, whose name is Taylor, is able to speak and remembers pulling the trigger.

We're told Taylor is in stable condition and is off the ventilator she used Tuesday. Authorities say she may be able to be released in a few days.

Taylor underwent emergency surgery Monday afternoon at Palmetto Health Richland Memorial Hospital. CPD spokesman Brick Lewis says no major organs were hit by the bullet.

"The child was shot just below the sternum and the bullet traveled downward and exited just above the top of her buttocks," says Columbia Police Capt. Thomas Dodson.

Someone at the hospital found the bullet. It was trapped, possibly, in Taylor's clothes. The .32 caliber slug somehow missed the child's spine and vital organs.

"Believe it or not probably the ballistics on a .32 are less damaging than that of a .22 or .25. The velocity of the round is slower. The mass is a little bit more on the bullet. The .22 because it weighs so little and travels so fast, tends to ricochet around inside the body so it's probably actually better that it was a larger caliber round," says Dodson.

Investigators believe the child was sitting in the shopping cart pushed by her grandmother, Aiken County Magistrate Donna Hutto Williamson. Police say the child pulled the gun out of Williamson's purse and accidentally shot herself in the chest.

The entire incident was captured on surveillance cameras near the store's pharmacy department.

"They made an announcement that they were closing and that there was an official on the scene. No announcements to what happened," said Heath Mills, who was in the store at the time.

Concealed weapons are prohibited in South Carolina courthouses.

The same goes for other public buildings including police departments, schools, doctor's offices and hospitals like Palmetto Health Richland Memorial -- the hospital where Williamson's granddaughter is recovering.

"We certainly believe that if the grandmother had seen she had a firearm in her hand, she would have reacted before the incident happened. Looks like grandmama's doing what people would do and that's shopping. She's got her mind on shopping and she's fairly secure her grandchild was right there in front of her," Dodson.

Sam's Club, along with many other private businesses, does not ban customers from carrying concealed weapons.

State law says active magistrates can carry concealed weapons "while on duty." It also says anyone with a concealed weapon permit must have their permit ID card in their possession while carrying a gun.

Dodson says Williamson has a valid concealed weapons permit and did have her card with her at the time of the shooting.

CPD spokesman Brick Lewis said Monday Williamson has not been charged with a crime, but Tuesday Dodson said charges appear likely, possibly child endangerment or unlawful neglect of a child.

Police and the solicitor's office are also looking at the possibility of an unspecified weapons charge.

Friends from Aiken County were quick to come to Williamson's defense.

"She's law and order, she's firm behind family," friend Mickey Williams said.

"I know a lot of people that tote guns, they got licence to tote guns, but it could easily happen to one of them," friend Rickey Williams said.

Store officials say the store was closed for about an hour after the shooting.

"Everyone at Sam's Club is deeply saddened by today's tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with the little girl and her family," said Tara Stewart, South Carolina spokesperson for Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.

Stewart said as of right now they do not have a policy on concealed weapons, but after this incident, that could change.

"While we don't have a sign posted, I think everyone knows the rules and laws. We are working with police to make changes if necessary," said Stewart.

Another interview was scheduled for Thursday, at which time police expect her to be represented by an attorney.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Charges likely for grandmother in Sam's Club shooting

ain't that some shit. sam's wants to change policy because one person was irresponsable... heck this making national news makes it seem like it happens every day. It's a shame the grandmother wan't more aware of securing her pistol away from the child. I wonder when rosie o'donnel and ted kennedy are going to chime in with their "make it hard for people to get guns" crap.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Lehigh County)

This is the kind of political black eye we don't need.

Sure, people defend themselves every day with their concealed weapons, but when ONE child shoots herself because of a negligent grandmother, it makes national news and everyone screams "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

(sigh)
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by a guy in the story PAhunter posted View Post
    "I know a lot of people that tote guns, they got licence to tote guns, but it could easily happen to one of them," friend Rickey Williams said.
    i'm sorry, but this could not easily happen to "one of them" unless that "one of them" was being negligent.

i'll bet grandma didn't notice because she put her open purse down in the cart next to where the child was sitting and then took her eyes off the purse/child to look at something on a shelf. even if there weren't a gun in the purse, this would be negligent. there are typically many other things in a purse with which a child could hurt themselves.

i feel sorry for the grandmother...i'm sure she is devastated by this...but it certainly sounds like it was her fault...and the rest of us should not suffer any consequences because of her negligence.

(Montgomery County)

To steal a line from Mr. Ugly, this whole incident reeked of suck.

That police Captain should be ashamed of his lack of knowledge concerning ballistics and differences between cartridges.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Venango County)

Note the bolded section, however. We all could make a mistake someday.

It seems they are looking for some charges, any charges to tack onto the tragedy. Because a gun was involved, they feel they must charge something. Would the same hold true if she left the child in a car with the keys in it? I would hope so, but I doubt if it would be as serious, if at all.

I, too, cringe at the negligence in this case.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Philadelphia County)

Why don't they likewise reevaluate their policy on children? Or grandmas?