Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Observations on the DMV

It's wonderful.
    Last edited by free; May 21st, 2014 at 10:42 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Observations on the DMV

You think PA DMV is stupid? Try to buy beer in PA.

Yes you are too paranoid.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Monroe County)

If you dislike it why did you move here?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Not an alcohol drinker, so whatever silliness is involved is not something I have to deal with

sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Shooter View Post
    If you dislike it why did you move here?
    Spouse's idea. I want to stay married.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    After living here since June of last year, it finally came time to exchange my perfectly good home state DL for a local one.
    Your "perfectly good" DL became invalid once you established a domicile in Pennsylvania. You had fifteen days to exchange it for a Pennsylvania DL.

My motorcycle's home state registration is up at the end of the month and I could have put it and the title in my spouse's name (already had a local DL), but I just figured I would bite the bullet since I will have to local register the Jeep in 6 months anyway.
    Your vehicle registration/title falls under the same general rules as a driver's license, but I'm not sure about the time limit.

Re: Items 3 & 4: Am I just being too paranoid?
    Yes, and yes.

Unlike my home state ...
    Pennsylvania is your home state, and has been since last June. You said so.

As for physical address vs. P.O. Box, one has nothing whatsoever to do with the other. Our local post office serves portions of three different counties.

I had to pay about $120 for NO VALUE ADDED BS - and I still have to get the local "inspection" (what a scam that is) for another, I dunno what it is, $40-$50 or whatever. She said I have 10 days to do it. What happen if I don't? Is it just a matter of getting a ticket if I am pulled over for some reason, or will they know I didn't do it and just send me a ticket in the mail? How does that work? We don't have such silliness back home, so I don't know.
    You haven't done much moving from one state to another, have you? Vehicle inspections? Most states have them (they don't want unsafe vehicles on the road). Don't get it inspected? A local or state cop will notice the lack of a sticker on your windshield, and you'll end up with a citation. You're complaining about a one-time $120 expenditure? The ticket for no inspection will cost more than that. No, inspections don't get cross-referenced with registrations, so PennDOT won't know whether you do or don't, but you will get pulled over, eventually.

You don't have such silliness back home? You're not in Kansas any more, Toto. Back home is now, for you, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.

Anyway, I think local state registration requirements, single year registrations, vehicle inspections, and having to spend two hours at a private business to get a local title and vehicle registration (which adds NOTHING to the perfectly good title and registration that I already had) and not being able to get the plate I requested on top of that, really sucks.
    Complain all you want, but you're not going to get away from "local state registration requirements" wherever you go, in all fifty states, plus one federal district and four territories. Vehicle inspections? Again, most states have them. Back in the early 1980s (which may have changed by now), Massachusetts was requiring a vehicle inspection every six months. As for your "perfectly good title and registration," they weren't perfectly good since your former state of domicile is just that, former.

I am REALLY not a fan of national government, but one area where it actually makes sense is when it comes to vehicle titles and plates for sure, and, I think, a case can be made for vehicle registrations as well.
    Ours is a nation composed of fifty separate, sovereign states, united under a federal government. Each state has its own laws, constitutions, government and tax structure. Your "case" for titles, plates and registration has no constitutional grounds whatsoever, nor will it ever under our present U.S. Constitution.

Welcome, belatedly from last June, to Pennsylvania. You really, really have to let go from your attachment to your old state. It doesn't exist any more. Adapt, adjust, or go back there. Yes, Pennsylvania may do things a little bit different regarding vehicle registration/licensing vs. driver's licensing than other states, but that is Pennsylvania's choice. I've lived in New York, Virginia, Nevada, Massachusetts, Oregon, Connecticut and, now, Pennsylvania. Each state did things differently (Oregon, for example, never wanted to see proof of insurance). Whining and complaining would have accomplished nothing. One can only roll with the punches and play the cards you're dealt. You're in Pennsylvania now, and have to play by Pennsylvania's rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Ours is a nation composed of fifty separate, sovereign states, united under a federal government. Each state has its own laws, constitutions, government and tax structure. Your "case" for titles, plates and registration has no constitutional grounds whatsoever, nor will it ever under our present U.S. Constitution.

Welcome, belatedly from last June, to Pennsylvania. You really, really have to let go from your attachment to your old state...
    Well said. My journey through life has taken me through Ohio, Massachusetts, Illinois, Tennessee, New Hampshire, and now Pennsylvania. I've gone through this process many times with numerous vehicles. It's just part of the deal, and I've never once thought it would be a good idea to turn it over to the Feds -- though I'm sure Homeland Security would be more than happy to create a bureaucracy to accommodate the OP's wishes. As part of the "war on Terrorism," of course. BTW, the emission part of his inspection (and the more costly, less efficient oxygenated fuel he'll have to buy) is courtesy of the Feds -- he's in a county designated by the EPA as an air quality "non-attainment" area.
    Last edited by donm; May 20th, 2014 at 11:58 PM.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Whaaa, whaaaa, whaaa! Move to Maryland where no matter how long you've owned your car you still have to pay taxes on it. Not sales tax, road use tax.

Pennslvania is nice in that you can get your new tags just about anywhere. Other states you have to go to a state office that is never open when you aren't working.

Every state has rules that suck.

(Lawrence County)

"Back in the early 1980s (which may have changed by now), Massachusetts was requiring a vehicle inspection every six months."

I recall Pa. being the same way into the 70's. I can't remember anyone dragging their bikes to an inspection station in Dec./Jan./Feb. to get them stickered. I guess we were all rebels back then also...
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post

Beer is easy, The State stores are the problem.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Late45 View Post
    "Back in the early 1980s (which may have changed by now), Massachusetts was requiring a vehicle inspection every six months."
    pa heavy trucks must be inspected every 6 months .....all other states once a year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast