http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm

FLORIDA

1,277,877 ACTIVE PERMITS AS OF FEBRUARY 28, 2014

SOURCE: FLORIDA DIVISION OF LICENSING
    VIEW THE STATES THAT HONOR FLORIDA.

PENNSYLVANIA

TEXAS

ON JANUARY 25, 2013

Hopefully this will keep gun rights strong in PA?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Are these carry/permit statistics true? PA #2

It's sort of true.

Florida is probably #1 and PA probably #2. But PA had 872,277 5-year LTCFs issued 2008 to 2012 (not including revocations) and the trend is upward so it is probably higher now.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...r-metrics.html

Also, I had estimated at one time that the PA number was rising faster than FL but I am not certain of that. I also believe FL has a higher percentage of non-resident permits issued than PA but I have no data to back that up. What I am getting at is that I believe PA and FL are closer than that for total resident permits at this time and PA might even be higher.

Of course, Florida also has about 50% more people than PA, and an older (eligible) population as well.

But there are states that have higher rates of carry than both of us. And there probably aren't good numbers for the states with no permit required.

(Juniata County)

Not the most recite data, but from my experience I would say it is no doubt higher now.

Pennsylvania: More Concealed Carry Permits Than Average
    Few topics are as likely to provoke a heated response as concealed carry laws and their effect on crime. Proponents of the laws claim more guns mean less crime. In Pennsylvania, they certainly mean more guns.
    Concealed Carry
    Since the 1980s, the numbers of citizens licensed to carry a concealed gun has grown from less than a million to 6 million, The Daily Item reported recently. The story notes nearly 1 in 11 people in Synder County has a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
    Pennsylvania Above Average
    They point out that while 1 of 50 Americans has a license to carry a concealed weapon, in Pennsylvania that number is close to 1 in 14.
    In addition, Pennsylvania is an open carry state, which means if the weapon is in plain view; the owner doesn't even need a license.
    While concealed permits are relatively easy to obtain, possession of a gun is not without risk. 18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6105, contains a long list of circumstances that makes it a felony to possess a firearm.
    In Pennsylvania, if you have prior mental health commitment, juvenile conviction, or a Protection from Abuse order, it may be a felony to possess a gun. Before you attempt to purchase a gun, you should carefully review the application and the fine print.
    A criminal history background check is performed, looking for first-degree misdemeanors and felonies. Juvenile and mental health records are also reviewed and the sheriff is allowed to further investigate and reject for a legitimate reason.
    In reality, only 1 percent are rejected. As one sheriff is quoted as saying, "The Second Amendment is pretty strong. You don't mess with someone's guns."
    Castle Doctrine Becomes Law
    Pennsylvania became the 27th state to adopt an expanded definition of the "Castle Doctrine," which allows citizens to use deadly force to protect oneself, family and others while in their home or an occupied vehicle. Governor Tom Corbett has signed Pennsylvania Castle Doctrine legislation into law; Gov. Ed Rendell vetoed a version of that bill last year.
    Pennsylvania Safer?
    For instance, in Pennsylvania, in 2009, according to the Uniform Crime Report (UCP) Program by Pennsylvania law enforcement agencies in 2009, the crime index offenses decreased 5.4 percent from 2008.
    Crime Index offenses are considered to be both the most serious and most likely to be reported, and are used nationally as the standard base for comparisons. They include, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, and other violent crimes.
    The question is what degree, if any, can the decrease be attributed to Pennsylvania having more guns? The numbers remain inconclusive, meaning the debate will continue.

http://www.shragerlawfirm.com/Articl...-Average.shtml

The number of Pennsylvanians licensed to carry a concealed weapon is close to 1 in 14, considerably above the national figure of 1 in 50.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2772661/posts

September 01, 2011 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Few topics are as likely to provoke a heated response as concealed carry laws and their effect on crime. Proponents of the laws claim more guns mean less crime. In Pennsylvania, they certainly mean more guns.

Concealed Carry

Since the 1980s, the numbers of citizens licensed to carry a concealed gun has grown from less than a million to 6 million, The Daily Item reported recently. The story notes nearly 1 in 11 people in Synder County has a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Northampton County)

Not the most recite data, but from my experience I would say it is no doubt higher now...

The number of Pennsylvanians licensed to carry a concealed weapon is close to 1 in 14, considerably above the national figure of 1 in 50.
    It is indeed. PSP data courtesy of TL_3237 indicates 9.2% above the age of 21 in 2012, or greater than 1 in 11:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...r-metrics.html

There is no doubt it is greater than 1 in 10 now, if not higher.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm

FLORIDA

1,277,877 ACTIVE PERMITS AS OF FEBRUARY 28, 2014

SOURCE: FLORIDA DIVISION OF LICENSING
    VIEW THE STATES THAT HONOR FLORIDA.

PENNSYLVANIA

TEXAS

ON JANUARY 25, 2013

Hopefully this will keep gun rights strong in PA?
    Florida lists on their website as 1,254,529 as of April 30, 2014.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    Florida lists on their website as 1,254,529 as of April 30, 2014.
    23,000 in NJ and Philly that didn't renew.

I am a resident of AZ. I have an AZ permit, a Resident PA LTCF, and a Florida Non Resident. I doubt the county where I got my permit issued changed my status from Resident to non-resident.

I am one of how many who are counted more than once? Ungawa posted 23,000 non-renewals in Philly. Of those, how many died? Moved intrastate and renewed in their new county? Prohibited?

The figures are good numbers but they don't represent reasons behind them. I would not be surprised if 100,000 of the active Florida permits are held by people who also have a PA LTCF, which would bring, in my way of thinking, closer, the numbers closure to each other in total number of issued permits.

Good data but without a breakdown of the numbers into resident, non-resident, reason for non-newel, etc...it leaves to much to be really looked at hard.

CL

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    I am one of how many who are counted more than once? Ungawa posted 23,000 non-renewals in Philly. Of those, how many died? Moved intrastate and renewed in their new county? Prohibited?
    I was kidding, forgot the smiley. I was explaining the drop in FL numbers as being due to people in Philly and Jersey that carried in PA on the FL license and no longer can so did not review. But it was a joke.

(Bucks County)

Regardless, if PA has so many LTCF holders and gun owners, how do these anti gun politicians get into office? I read somewhere that in 2009 PA had 40% gun ownership. I'm sure it's higher now. Do they not vote?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Regardless, if PA has so many LTCF holders and gun owners, how do these anti gun politicians get into office? I read somewhere that in 2009 PA had 40% gun ownership. I'm sure it's higher now. Do they not vote?
    I read that greater than 100million do not vote in presidential elections, the majority of which claim to be born again Christians. With presidential elections being decided by 10 million or less raw votes in recent history think of the implications.

I would venture to say a much smaller percentage votes in primaries or state/local elections.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast