Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Armed Citizen Response To The Active Shooter - 2 day course

Fair enough. I see the point about ease of reholstering. But I disagree in that I think there is a difference in training with IWB and OWB. At least in my experience, my draw has always had to change a little bit when going back and forth. More change if the holster is farther away from the body. But I am not a professional trainer charging $300 per class...

I only ask as another poster said he was dissuaded from the class because of that requirement. Maybe by you explaining it, others might understand and still do the class.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    Fair enough. I see the point about ease of reholstering. But I disagree in that I think there is a difference in training with IWB and OWB. At least in my experience, my draw has always had to change a little bit when going back and forth. More change if the holster is farther away from the body. But I am not a professional trainer charging $300 per class...

I only ask as another poster said he was dissuaded from the class because of that requirement. Maybe by you explaining it, others might understand and still do the class.
    I agree 100% with John.

And although I understand your point, the principle of "train like you will fight" is often taken to unnecessary and impractical extremes.

I always face similar discussions with students prior to a class about holsters with thumb snaps. While they do afford a modicum of retention on the street, when used in an actual encounter, you will at most draw once and re-holster. In a class, with multiple presentations and re-holstering, the thumb snap usually ends up getting folded back out of the way or taped in such a manner that it is no longer used.

An open top, strong side, OWB kydex holster is the most practical option for most training courses.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I agree 100% with John.

And although I understand your point, the principle of "train like you will fight" is often taken to unnecessary and impractical extremes.

I always face similar discussions with students prior to a class about holsters with thumb snaps. While they do afford a modicum of retention on the street, when used in an actual encounter, you will at most draw once and re-holster. In a class, with multiple presentations and re-holstering, the thumb snap usually ends up getting folded back out of the way or taped in such a manner that it is no longer used.

An open top, strong side, OWB kydex holster is the most practical option for most training courses.
    You're very right about the bolded above. There are some who take it into the ridiculous. Me, I prefer to train exactly how I am day in and day out. I'm not going to war and don't need to put my plate carrier and 50 other pounds of junk on just to train.

Anyways guys I wish you well on your class. Maybe one day when my finances aren't so tight, I could take a trip out there for something like this class.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for he offer but I am just not at all excited about driving 5 or so hours for a class. Maybe someday. As to the holster, the NRA concealed class is the same idea.. Owb holsters only. I assume it's to learn the basics/ principles and then you can practice them on your own from there with your every day equipment.

(Allegheny County)

It was not so long ago that if a private citizen wanted professionally run firearms training, one had to go to Arizona or Texas.

We have come a long way.

(Allegheny County)

Very good point Pete.

And very true.

John
    www.3riverstraining.com

(Allegheny County)

There are 4 spots left in this course.

John
    www.3riverstraining.com

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Armed Citizen Response To The Active Shooter - August 23rd & 24th 2014

Still 4 spots left in this course.

John
    www.3riverstraining.com

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 3T - Armed Citizen Response To The Active Shooter - August 23rd & 24th 2014

2 spots left now.

John
    www.3riverstraining.com

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 3T - Armed Citizen Response To The Active Shooter - August 23rd & 24th 2014

1 spot left in this class.

John
    www.3riverstraining.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast