Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Trigger finger placement when drawing from a holster

Just wondering what others do with their trigger fingers when doing quick draws from a holster. Drawing from a holster with one in the chamber seems to be about the most dangerous thing one does when training or during a match. It seems that most people place their finger above the trigger guard, often on the slide. A lot of so-called experts agree that this is the way to go. I don't agree. I prefer to have my trigger finger pointing away from the gun, basically extending it as far away from the gun as possible when clearing my gun from the holster and placing the gun in the holster. I think this is much safer than placing your trigger finger anywhere on the gun, because there is no "forward" tension on your trigger finger at all.

Far too many people shoot themselves in the leg and/or foot because of poor trigger finger discipline. There have been two self-inflicted leg shots at my gun club alone in less than a year. I'm just wondering how that could happen, and what you do to ensure this doesn't happen to you.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Trigger finger placement when drawing from a holster

My finger rides high as close to the ejection port of the gun as possible, that is my index

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    My finger rides high as close to the ejection port of the gun as possible, that is my index
    Do you only train or shoot matches with one type of gun? How much pressure do you put on the gun? I know that some people that mostly shoot 1911's put their finger on the slide stop "button" if they are right handed. Obviously, that wouldn't work on other guns as an index. I do understand that some people simply can't fully extend their index fingers because of arthritis, or whatever, but I'm just wondering about the wisdom of putting ANY pressure on the gun, no matter the location of the trigger finger while drawing.

(Washington County)

When reholstering I will extend my finger as far as possible and reholster slowly.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Do you only train or shoot matches with one type of gun? How much pressure do you put on the gun? I know that some people that mostly shoot 1911's put their finger on the slide stop "button" if they are right handed. Obviously, that wouldn't work on other guns as an index. I do understand that some people simply can't fully extend their index fingers because of arthritis, or whatever, but I'm just wondering about the wisdom of putting ANY pressure on the gun, no matter the location of the trigger finger while drawing.
    I put pressure on the gun where my index is (near the ejection port of a glock, sig, 1911, etc)....

not crazy pressure, but pressure to feel i know im at my index point and my finger is not going to slip...aka im very deliberate with my actions, i dont want to loosy goosy my finger anywhere near the trigger guard, so pressure is applied to the gun at my index point

I dont shoot matches but obviously train a lot from the draw as i CC..

You seem to be wanting to get in very intricate detials of someones draw (which will all slightly differ some greatly)...

do what is most comfortable for you, and train and train for that

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post

You seem to be wanting to get in very intricate detials of someones draw (which will all slightly differ some greatly)...

do what is most comfortable for you, and train and train for that
    Yes, I am trying to figure out how so many people shoot themselves in the legs and feet. Is it just a training issue, or might there be a technique issue as well. Thanks for the responses so far, BTW.

(Mercer County)

I shoot a 1911 primarily, and tend to index my finger straight out along the edge of the slide. A good rule of thumb is that if you can see your trigger finger through the trigger guard, you're not high enough above the trigger. I try to maintain as much contact with the pistol as possible, as I always want a reference point of where my finger is.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I shoot a 1911 primarily, and tend to index my finger straight out along the edge of the slide. A good rule of thumb is that if you can see your trigger finger through the trigger guard, you're not high enough above the trigger. I try to maintain as much contact with the pistol as possible, as I always want a reference point of where my finger is.
    Great rule of thumb, especially shooting in low light situations with a partner or maybe someone you dont know...

you want that finger high and tight away from that trigger guard area so you can look over and see "light" coming through....

I think people who shoot themselves either get too laxed, or rushing, or just plan idiots...

My main gun of carry is a 1911, so like i said my index point is that "flared" ejection port....but translates over to my other semi's

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Far too many people shoot themselves in the leg and/or foot because of poor trigger finger discipline. There have been two self-inflicted leg shots at my gun club alone in less than a year. I'm just wondering how that could happen, and what you do to ensure this doesn't happen to you.
    You'd be surprised as to how many gun owners don't know the first thing about safety, let alone know of and practice a proper drawing technique. It's not uncommon to have even experienced match shooters get a safety DQ.
    I'm sorry to say that these two guys probably should not have been participating in a match. I wouldn't worry to much if you are automatically indexing anywhere along the side of the gun above the trigger.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

There have been two self-inflicted leg shots at my gun club alone in less than a year
    Because in handguns/shooting etc... everyone wants to RUN before they can walk - much less crawl... (Just, like anything else - you pick whatever activity you want to name and its mostly true.)

Lots of people think that it is ok just to grab their gun, whatever holster they happen to buy at the ol LGS and run out to the range and have a go...

Training, practice (lots of dry fire reps, followed by some range work), more training, more practice, even some more training, followed by even more practice, .... keep repeating for as long as you make a decision to own/carry a gun.

Oh yeah, a strict adherence of the 4 Universal Safety rules helps...
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast