Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spare mag vs backup hand gun.

I have several hand guns I carry, 2 single stack compacts, 1911 commander, full size Glock, all have two or more mags. So depending where I'm going or what I'm doing will decide what I m carrying. I find myself during my work day with the compact and an a extra mag. Nights out or weekend with my wife, i take the larger gun with an extra mag and/or a single sack as a back up. Over kill? How many of us carry multiable firearms? What's the have you found to be the most comfortable position for carrying 2 firearms cc and/or Oc.
    NRA Endowment Member, N-SSA #9526v

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Spare mag vs backup hand gun.

I currently only have one with a spare mag but my intent is to have a main sidearm with spare mag and a backup gun.

I'm of the mindset of if you can why not and better have more than not enough.

I'm also of the mindset that if I've expended two guns and three mags I shouldn't have been in the gunfight in the first place.

Of course I may be biased because I carry openly generally so one is for open carry and the other for concealed backup.

(Berks County)

I always have my North American Arms .22mag tucked on me as a second gun. It is too small and too light to not carry it although I concede it's usefulness could be argued. Normally I carry a G19 or G26 as a primary and I started carrying an extra magazine mainly because I found it balanced the load a little bit and it keeps my back from getting sore...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason826 View Post
    I always have my North American Arms .22mag tucked on me as a second gun. It is too small and too light to not carry it although I concede it's usefulness could be argued. Normally I carry a G19 or G26 as a primary and I started carrying an extra magazine mainly because I found it balanced the load a little bit and it keeps my back from getting sore...
    I total agree that an extra mag and/or smaller backup gun on the opposite side of the body from a primary sidearm actually makes carrying more comfortable.
    NRA Endowment Member, N-SSA #9526v

(Jefferson County)

I'm of the school that teaches to carry a reload for whatever main-gun you have, and a backup, or two.

My .32ACP derringer is like the NAA mentioned a couple posts up - just too small and too lightweight not to carry it.

A spare magazine alone wont do you any good if your main-gun breaks in the heat of things. But a New York Reload will....
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I always carry a spare mag (or 2) depending on which gun I'm carrying. Ocasionally (not very often) I will also carry a 38 for a BUG.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd carry a reload in case of malfunctions and such, it's cheaper and easier than a whole second pistol.

In cold weather I wouldn't mind a derringer or snubby

As is, admittedly, I carry neither
    interested in a cz kadet kit, if anyone's selling

(Bucks County)

I generally carry my double stack 9 or single stack 9 on the hip with my .380 BG in my cargo pocket or front pocket. I do carry a spare mag for the BG since its allot lighter than the others.

(Bucks County)

whatever gun i have i either have 2 spares (single stacks) or 1 double stack spare mag depending on the gun of carry of course

1 is none 2 is one

(Pike County)

Two is one, one is none. Never heard anyone, bitching about "why did I have that backup gun...".

When it was bad in Philly few years ago with all those goddamn flashmobs, I was carrying two double stacks with 3 spare mags total. I figured 75 rounds between two guns should be enough. Better safe than sorry.
    Je suis déplorable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast