Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Sig 1911 Ultra Nitron

So I have located my next possible purchase which is the Sig Ultra Nitron. Its a 3" 1911 which we all know are unreliable by nature.

But after reading a lot of reviews, there are many that dont have an issue as far as reliability. But a friend of mine had a 3" Kimber that he traded in because reliability wasnt there. And Kimber in my eyes is top knotch.

If anyone has input or experience, please discuss. I am really curious about this one.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sig 1911 Ultra Nitron

I have one with about 600-700 rounds through it without one single issue. It is my EDC and favorite gun (of mine) to shoot. I would highly recommend it. I know some people have issues with short barrels, but almost all of my handguns are subcompacts so I am used to them.
    Last edited by DK23; May 11th, 2014 at 11:07 AM.

(Allegheny County)

The SIG Ultra is a much nicer micro 1911 than the Kimber version. Every Kimber ultra I've owned or seen at the range has failed in some major way regardless of magazine quality or ammunition type.
    I have 3 people in my family that bought the SIG and all are running flawless so far. Both with the factory mags and Wilson Combat. Ammunition was a variety or FMJ factory stuff, and they fed Winchester PDX and Hornady Critical Duty with no problems. If I was in the market for a mini 1911 it would be at the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Steel View Post
    Its a 3" 1911 which we all know are unreliable by nature.
    3" 1911's have been unreliable in the past, but mostly due to barrel torque in places it shouldn't be or just not having angles right. Today's SB 1911 failures are generally more shooter induced. You can get one to fail much easier than a standard 1911, especially if it's new, but as said, before, it's shooter induced, most of the time. Kimber, IMO, holds the title for making the best SB 1911s, right now, but others are good, too.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

I have two Kimbers. Ultra Carry CDP 2 two tone and Ultra Carry all black that I put custom grips on with personalized engraving. I love my Kimbers. True story: I was at the range two weeks ago shooting my XD 40, My Sig P238(which I love for a small pistol in a 1911 style.) My newer MP shield in 9mm is good shooter and love the 19 oz weight which is one of the reasons I bought it for light carry in the summer. (I open carry anyway, but it is lighter on the belt than my 26oz. kimber) Than I started shooting the Kimber. Guy next to me goes "I have a Kimber and love it". I just got done emptying my clip and I turn to him and say "this thing shoots itself" even my girlfriend who has never shot a psitol did well with the Kimber her first time. It is just balanced so right, absorbs recoil well in 45 and does not take alot of work to shoot well with it especially because it is in single action. Took me longer with the MP Shield. And the little Sig of course was a challenge to shoot well, and still working on it because of size weight etc. I bought the extended mag for pinky and it did help. Got extended for Shield also. I would never part with not having at least one Kimber. I have heard the Springfield EMP is great also.
    The CDP I paid about $1,300 which is a bit high at cabellas. The Ultra carry 2 pictured below I bought used for $650 off of this forum and was a very good purchase. The grips are a memorial for my parents. Hope this helps , its only my opinion but take it for what it is worth. Thx, Joe
    kimbergrips.jpg

(Lehigh County)

I currently have a Sig P938 and it's great. Its a little small but I can conceal it with a t-shirt and jeans with a crossbreed. I also have a Sig 5" 1911 which I love. Just wanted something I could possibly carry and in .45 if possible.

Hearing that the FTF's are mostly shooter error I might bite the bullet and get one.

I have heard the Kimbers were hit or miss. And the EMP is a wonderful shooter. But I have become a Sig snob. THanks for the advice.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
    I have two Kimbers. Ultra Carry CDP 2 two tone and Ultra Carry all black that I put custom grips on with personalized engraving. I love my Kimbers. True story: I was at the range two weeks ago shooting my XD 40, My Sig P238(which I love for a small pistol in a 1911 style.) My newer MP shield in 9mm is good shooter and love the 19 oz weight which is one of the reasons I bought it for light carry in the summer. (I open carry anyway, but it is lighter on the belt than my 26oz. kimber) Than I started shooting the Kimber. Guy next to me goes "I have a Kimber and love it". I just got done emptying my clip and I turn to him and say "this thing shoots itself" even my girlfriend who has never shot a psitol did well with the Kimber her first time. It is just balanced so right, absorbs recoil well in 45 and does not take alot of work to shoot well with it especially because it is in single action. Took me longer with the MP Shield. And the little Sig of course was a challenge to shoot well, and still working on it because of size weight etc. I bought the extended mag for pinky and it did help. Got extended for Shield also. I would never part with not having at least one Kimber. I have heard the Springfield EMP is great also.
    The CDP I paid about $1,300 which is a bit high at cabellas. The Ultra carry 2 pictured below I bought used for $650 off of this forum and was a very good purchase. The grips are a memorial for my parents. Hope this helps , its only my opinion but take it for what it is worth. Thx, Joe
    kimbergrips.jpg
    I sold Joe that Ultra carry ii and I sold it to him because I got a great deal on a sig ultra limited. I owned both and I will quickly tell you what I didn't like .
    cons of the Kimber: the finish on the aluminum frame scratched easily, My model did not come with night sights and the take down was a PITA compared to the sig. Now I like everything about the Sig except that the slide stop engagesonce in a while as if the mag was empty and I have not figured it out yet. The Kimber I had ran great and was very accurate. If I could afford it I would have kept both.