Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Finally joined the Glock cult

Well yesterday I did what I have been planning to do for years and bought
    my first glock. Brand new Gen 4 Glock 23 from tanners. 595 out the door.
    Haven't shot it yet , carried it all day though. Feels great on my side , great size for me to CC. The ergos of it in my hands are amazing. Medium backstrap with beaver tail fells great. Can only imagine how it will feel to shoot.
    For all long time Glock owners , anything I should do to "break in" my new baby?
    What upgrades/accessories do you recommend?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Finally joined the Glock cult

Shoot it. Lots. No real "break in" required, but leave the coppery stuff on the rails (don't clean it off). That's it ! - Enjoy !

Cb

(Berks County)

I ended up taking an emery board and lightly sanding the left side of my Gen 4 G26 to smooth it out a little to make it more comfortable to carry as I found the grip to be pretty abrasive and uncomfortable on my side, much more than my Gen 3 G19. I also ground some of the trigger guard to make a little more room for my middle finger but if yours fits your hand then no worries. You can polish the barrel assembly if it makes your heart go pitterpatter. I like the way they look with a polished barrel. While you've got the polish out take the whole thing apart and do the 25 cent trigger job, it isn't hard and youtube has plenty of videos for you to sift through and pick from. It didn't decrease the trigger weight by much on my two Glocks but it did smooth it out. Or you could just shoot 10,000 rounds through it which would be more fun and get the same result.

Congrats on the new purchase. I've always considered the G23/19 to be the ideal size for carry.

The first thing I do with Glocks is put decent sights on them. The plastic ones that come with them are just there to keep the dirt out of the dovetail & hole until the owner can get around to putting real sights on. The next thing is to put an extended slide release on. After that I feel they're gtg.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Finally joined the Glock cult

congrats on the new glock. they can be very habit forming. you don,t need to do a thing with it, buy ammo and go shoot. as already said do not remove the copper looking lube on the slide and rails. let it wear away on it,s own. as far as sights go they are fine unless you really like something else. my personal likes have me put a 3.5 connector and a polish job in my glocks when new. I also put in a extended slide stop. my designated carry guns also get tfo sights. this is coming from a hardcore glock fan that just picked up # 10 a model 41 that shoots fantastic. I started with glocks in 88 when they were ( that plastic gun) what a joke they,ll never catch on. who,s laughing now? I am. btw I could use a 42 seen any lately?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Congrats on the new purchase. I've always considered the G23/19 to be the ideal size for carry.

The first thing I do with Glocks is put decent sights on them. The plastic ones that come with them are just there to keep the dirt out of the dovetail & hole until the owner can get around to putting real sights on. The next thing is to put an extended slide release on. After that I feel they're gtg.
    I agree with all of this. One thing I could personally add, is to get at least 6 mags for it and train with it.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Montgomery County)

I'd get the 4.5 pound connector. For whatever reason, that's what they call them now, not 3.5 pound. Extended slide stop? Meh, not really necessary on a carry gun, but the Glock-made ones don't really get in the way. I would AVOID the extended mag release on a carry gun. Too easy to release the mag while carrying. Definitely get sights. I don't find night sights necessary and prefer the Warren/Sevigny sights with plain rear and fiber optic front for carry and competition. My .02 and welcome to the Dark Side.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HRearden View Post
    Well yesterday I did what I have been planning to do for years and bought
    my first glock. Brand new Gen 4 Glock 23 from tanners. 595 out the door.
    Haven't shot it yet , carried it all day though. Feels great on my side , great size for me to CC. The ergos of it in my hands are amazing. Medium backstrap with beaver tail fells great. Can only imagine how it will feel to shoot.
    For all long time Glock owners , anything I should do to "break in" my new baby?
    What upgrades/accessories do you recommend?
    Congratulations on your new firearm. I would join one of the many Glock Forums and they will give you as much information as is able to be digested.

I am sorry relative to your reported price of $595. which is a 50 dollar increase since late last fall. Oh well, great value anyway.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

I have two gen 3's. A G19 and a G23. I put glock night sights on the 23 and a steel glock front sight on the 19. Don't know about the gen 4's but the gen 3's have a hole in the bottom of the grip (the small one next to the mag well) that doesn't look right to me so I put plastic plugs in them just for aestetic reasons.

got on the Glock bandwagon late myself. Now I know why folks like them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast