Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Review: Zastava M83 Revolver .357 Magnum

I picked this revolver up about 2 months ago from Cabelas, they have been advertising these in their circulars for a while now but theres very little written about it on the internet that I could find. So i figured I'd write down my experiences so far.
    I got it for less that $300 on sale. All the papers are pretty much useless as theyre all written in a slavic language, they all still are stamped "Yugoslavia" so they were made some time ago, but do not appear to have been fired at all.
    The revolver is quite heavy, more so than my full size steel 1911. Lockup is tight, and trigger pull is VERY heavy.
    rounds2.jpg
    I tried both .38 special from American Eagle as well as .357 Magnum loads from Remington. Recoil was very manageable with both loads, likely due to the revolver's heft. Pleasant to shoot, however the sights are tiny and, combined with the very heavy trigger pull, accuracy suffered, at least for me.
    rounds4.jpg
    i noticed no difference in accuracy between the two loads. for the price, i think its a fun gun for the range, but as far as staking my life on it, I'd opt for something more tried and true.
    rounds3.jpg
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Review: Zastava M83 Revolver .357 Magnum

Thanks for the review.

I have seen them advertized at a semi local shop and was
    curious.

Might make a good truck gun ?
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Clearfield County)

I got one a while ago, accuracy for me was great, but its the kind of thing you have to learn how to shoot well first. Cabela's has them for around $275 now, so provided you don't mind the trigger and that they will probably rust in a humid environment I say go for it as a truck gun.

(Lackawanna County)

Sorry for the Necrothread revival, but I was wondering if anyone could give some advice about what holster would be a good fit for this revolver. I still have it but have never carried it, and I'm thinking of doing so for going out in the woods hunting as a carry piece since its .357 Mag, rather than the .45 I usually take.

ZASTAVA1.JPG

Anyone care to take a guesstimate of what size S&W revolver frame this equates to? "K" frame? I'm not sure.
    Not sure either if I want it on my hip or maybe one of those chest rigs?

and FYI, its trigger has gotten considerably better than when I first got it, I followed some advice and put 2 drops of oil on the inside of the hammer arm, and worked the action a little. Seems smoother now, at least to my dumb ass.
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post
    Sorry for the Necrothread revival, but I was wondering if anyone could give some advice about what holster would be a good fit for this revolver. I still have it but have never carried it, and I'm thinking of doing so for going out in the woods hunting as a carry piece since its .357 Mag, rather than the .45 I usually take.

ZASTAVA1.JPG

Anyone care to take a guesstimate of what size S&W revolver frame this equates to? "K" frame? I'm not sure.
    Not sure either if I want it on my hip or maybe one of those chest rigs?

and FYI, its trigger has gotten considerably better than when I first got it, I followed some advice and put 2 drops of oil on the inside of the hammer arm, and worked the action a little. Seems smoother now, at least to my dumb ass.
    I'd say K/L frame for general size when looking for a holster. It definitely isn't a J or N frame size.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Beaver County)

looks like a nice gun.

(York County)

It should fit an Uncle Mike's (#5 I think?) Anyway any holster for a S&W L frame with full underlug or Ruger GP100 ought to be close enough with a nylon holster for you to use for woods carry.