Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default 1911 mag question

Just bought 3 mags from http://www.gunclips.net/co1945cal7rd.html for my RIA Officers.

Stupid question to ask now but are there different kinds of mags for different 1911's? I thought officers were the only ones that used 7 round mags and so they are standard but the ones I just got don't lock the gun open on empty and don't drop free when I hit the release (I need to pull them out)

Are these mags incompatible with my 1911? Should I just return them and find different ones?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 1911 mag question

Are they hard to insert?

You can normally put any size mag in an Officers model. I've even used a 25 round drum mag in an Officers size 1911.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB0 View Post
    Are they hard to insert?

You can normally put any size mag in an Officers model. I've even used a 25 round drum mag in an Officers size 1911.
    Nah they go in fine, they seem to fit in fine and if i load them up they seem to cycle correctly but they don't lock the slide open.

I think they may not drop out because they are fairly light. I tried putting a round in it and the mag dropped clear.

I need to shoot them some and see if they feed under fire, kind of annoying that they don't lock open though.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Ah ok. I've seen some mags with worn springs that would not lock open on the last round with some 1911's. Are they new mags or old military ones?

(Monroe County)

Ah ok. I've seen some mags with worn springs that would not lock open on the last round with some 1911's. Are they new mags or old military ones?
    I just tried the other 2 (I got 3) and one seems to work somewhat.

They don't look like old mags... but they may be. I don't know. Think I'm going to return them and pickup some from another place I guess.

(Bucks County)

I saw some others that were more expensive on that site. From the price I was wondering if they were old military issue. I have some like that that I use for range mags. I usually only load 5 rounds at a time at the range so it works out for me, I can count to 5, lol.

If you are looking for something for carrying, yeah you may want to return them.

(Monroe County)

I saw some others that were more expensive on that site. From the price I was wondering if they were old military issue. I have some like that that I use for range mags. I usually only load 5 rounds at a time at the range so it works out for me, I can count to 5, lol.

If you are looking for something for carrying, yeah you may want to return them.
    yeah there are some on cdnn that I'll probably get. they are in the same price range but the s&h sucks from that site.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2005_29325362

those are supposed to work excellent. I'll be returning these ones, I just don't like the feeling of these either, much lighter / weaker feeling then the one I got with the gun (Novak)

(Monroe County)

Don`t skimp on mags. You`ve got 4 or 5 shops within 15 miles. Hit a local shop.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Well I can get Novak mags from RIA for like 25.00 a piece I believe... not bad price and they are great mags as far as I can tell. but I've also been told that the ones on cdnn are about the same, work great and are less then 1/2 the price

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    +1

If you're going to expect the firearm to function reliably, spend the money on good mags. I've had great luck with the Springfield Armory stainless steel mags (problems with the blued, however), great luck with Wilson Combat, but superior performance out of the Chip McCormick Power Mags.

So far, any mag under $25 that goes into my 1911s causes a problem sooner than later. So, I gave up and plunked down the cash for the more expensive mags, no regrets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast