Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default The AK as a CDR (Civilian Defense Rifle)

Taken from the Warrior Talk forum.

The AK as a CDR (Civilian Defense Rifle)

Another can of worms no doubt.

Excluding areas where one must use a "sporting rifle" what do you folks think about t6he AK as a primary "Go To" rifle?

I must admit I was leaning toward the AR series for various reasons - The availability of magazines, the theoretical resupply from the authorities, and availability of ammo, and spare parts.

I am rethinking my position on this. For a number of reasons.

1). AK magazines are very "available". In fact, much more so than AR mags. I just bought ten more through CDNN. Used magazines for the AK-47 for $7.00! Even used AR mags top ten bucks and they are so beat up you'd never rely on them. AK magazines are very tough. Want to go bankrupt? Start a business repairing AK mags.

2). As far as resupply from authorities. Well....I think Katrina had lessons for everyone about whether the authorities are your friends. They may be in some areas, but don't bet your survival on getting ammo, magazines, or anything from them.

3). Ammo. Well, that is still an issue, but knowing that you will not resupply from friendlies, it becomes a moot point. Stock up with as much as you can carry and keep your magazines loaded. That is another cool thing about AK magazines. They are cheap, strong and a great way to store ammo.

4). Spare parts. For an AR spare parts are important. For an AK? Next point.

5). Evil profile. Again, I default to Katrina. A private citizen with ANY WEAPON will be suspect, and probably targeted. AK or AR is not an issue here. What is is the ability to hide a folding stock AK much easier than a collapsed stock AR. The citizens' tactic will likely be "shoot and scoot".

What Say You??

- Gabe suarez

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: The AK as a CDR (Civilian Defense Rifle)

I neither own an AK nor an AR. But in the situation you put up, I'd go with an AK instead of an AR. Just for reliablity issues. I dont see pin point accuracy being of high importance in that scenario as much as a gun that will go BANG every single time.

I agree with you 100% on the "authorities". I'd avoid them like the other armed thugs in such situation.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

I think it would be an excellent choice depending on the situation.
    If I were in a "wide open spaces" area, I'd consider something with more "reach."

I'm in a suburban area of Pittsburgh and in my personal situation, if I had to endure a period of "civil unrest", I think an AK would do just fine. (hmmm... perhaps I should consider a lay-a-way?)
    There isn't a "field of fire" visible from my home of more than 200 yards in any direction. The AK would work for me. The large magazine capacity is nice too. Another plus is the INSTANT recognition of the AK by just about ANYONE! (read, thugs approaching your home) I recall an article in American Rifleman magazine by a gun owner (during Katrina) who, armed with his AK (?) had to make his way from his apartment to his vehicle parked nearby. In his trek, the sight of the "assault rifle" scared off some folks with questionable intentions.

I own an SKS. The above situation was a small part of my reasoning when making the purchase.
    (Mostly I needed something for CMP and can't afford a Garand!)
    My SKS as I'm learning, has a bit of an advantage over the AK in the accuracy/range department and w/an ammo pouch filled w/stripper clips, I think I'd do just fine in the "firepower" department. (in MY situation!)

If I needed something for a more "personal" encounter, my Mossberg Persuader would take the place of the SKS!!!

p.s.
    Hey jmateer,
    Thanks for the compliment on the pics. (shameless plug!)
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...-gun-pics.html
    I like my shotgun too.
    It's my "budget" home defense gun. Nothing TOO fancy. Just the features I thought would be beneficial and none of the features I'd LIKE but cost more than I can afford. (or need...Parkerized finish, Heat Shield, etc...)
    My Mossberg details (if anyone CARES!):
    • Model 500 Persuader 12GA. w/factory Ghost Ring sights
    • Added - Tac-Star Weapon Light - pressure switch on pump grip
    • Added - Choate Pistol Grip Stock - Quicker, easier handling in tight quarters & can still be shouldered for aimed fire.
    • Added - Allen, elastic 5 round shell holder. (Just got at K-Mart for $1.99!) Not as "nice" as the ones that are mounted to the gun, but then, I'm not going to be storming any crack-houses either!
    I can't afford (or justify to my wife!) a "combat" shotgun whose "mission" is to wait in the bedroom until I need to defend my family.

(Bucks County)

Note that, unlike an AR, you aren't getting a "real" AK in the US, but rather a clone receiver put onto AK furniture. So, while AK reliability is legendary, that doesn't necessarily mean that same reliability applies to YOUR clone gun. Whereas the Colt AR you buy can be almost the same as the real military version. Just FYI.

Still, AK clones have a lot going for them. Btw, Gabe Suarez is holding an AK-specific rifle class in north PA (Wellsboro?) later this year:

http://www.suarezinternational.com/tech.html ....then scroll to September. The class is also blocked together with "Extreme Close Range Gunfighting," sort of his specialty in the training arena. I took a pistol class from him a few years ago and can vouch he's a good trainer.

Running the AK is not the same as running the AR, so some training might be in order if that's to be your chosen SHTF platform.
    Last edited by dgg9; January 22nd, 2007 at 02:26 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

AK's are fine as a CDR. The point most people fail to recognize is that the two critical components to surviving an armed encounter are whether or not the shooter has proper mindset and is proficient with the platform of his / her choice (e.g. primarily that of weapon manipulation).

All other issues are academic, peripheral and largely irrelevant.

Insofar as accuracy is concerned, not many folks can exploit the intrinsic accuarcy potential of any firearm when shooting under stress and from field positions.

Insofar as reliability, AK's aren't infallible and AR's don't jam. However, the truth lies somewhere at about the midpoint of those two extremes.

(Allegheny County)

Well said, Tony.

DGG9. I plan on going to that AK class that Gabe is holding. Anyone else going?

Emptymag. Your shotgun looks good the way it is. You don't need a parkerized finish, or a heat shield for a HD gun (but they are cool). I'd leave it the way it is. All my 870 has on it is a light as far as accessories go (it also has ghost rings, and a pistol grip, but I donlt consider those accessories since most every gun needs a stock and sights) I don't put sidesaddles on my shotties for 2 reasons: 1) It makes an already somewhat-heavy gun, heavier, 2) If your gun holds 7 or 8 shots and you need more than that, tactical withdrawl may be a better bet than anything else. How many shots are fired in pistol fights? It will be the same in shotgun fights. The "modifications" I'm going to do to the shotgun is to get a standard stock (that Speedfeed pistol grip one is very uncomfortable for me) and to put in a tritium standard dot front sight from XS, opposed to the non tritium that's on it now. I also threw on a $12.00 sling adapter by GG&G and a $5.00 Eagle Sling.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    DGG9. I plan on going to that AK class that Gabe is holding. Anyone else going?
    I'm strongly leaning that way: both classes, actually. My current problem is that my job has an ultra-stingy vacation plan, so time off is always the limiting factor, nowadays. If I sign up, I'll announce here and offer carpooling from the Philly area.

(Bucks County)

I have one AK styled weapon ready for duty as a CDW, got another coming to do the same with. Just from a price prospective, they are an attractive option.

(Allegheny County)

You can get lancaster AK's (the best IMO) from $470.00-$700.00, and they come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    You can get lancaster AK's (the best IMO) from $470.00-$700.00, and they come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY!
    I hope it's not just the warranty that meke you lean towards that... because if it fails when your being attacked it won't be you getting the free replacement...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast